Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question bout doin a lift

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 10:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HOE
Default question bout doin a lift

im gonna be liftin my cherokee soon and im just gonna do the rc 3in lift for now but if im not happy with it can i also put the poly urethane spacers on it to get even more lift. i was just thinkin about doin a 1-2 in, or would i have to do the transfer case drop and relocate the brake lines.

please help... thank you in advance
Old 09-11-2011, 10:27 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0, comp cam, 99 intake, apn header, neon injectors, Thunderbolt 2.5" High Flow Cat

Depends exactly how high you go. But you are not going to get the same spring rate you would get with taller springs. So even though you may sit as high as a 4.5", you will have a lot more body roll than with 4.5" springs. Watch those corners, it'll like to lean.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:51 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

Going from 3 to 4 or 4.5 or 5 or anything over 3 is going to cost alot more money. there will be several new components to figure in when going higher than 3

sway bar links or disconnects, extended brake lines, adjustable track bar, lower control arms, TC drop, possible SYE, or almost definite if you go to 5, longer shocks.

that all adds up to much more than 20 dollar spacers, and 50 dollar lift shackles, or blocks, which i wouldnt even consider to lift.

I just got done with a Rubicon Express 3.5 Super Ride kit, which really ended up initially at 4.5. it will settle a bit, but ill probably end up around 4. and everything I listed, I have done to mine. the lift ended up running close to 900, by time i had to buy a few bolts and nuts from the dealer and a few other unexpected parts.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:38 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99

Originally Posted by Converted96
Going from 3 to 4 or 4.5 or 5 or anything over 3 is going to cost alot more money. there will be several new components to figure in when going higher than 3

sway bar links or disconnects, extended brake lines, adjustable track bar, lower control arms, TC drop, possible SYE, or almost definite if you go to 5, longer shocks.

that all adds up to much more than 20 dollar spacers, and 50 dollar lift shackles, or blocks, which i wouldnt even consider to lift.

I just got done with a Rubicon Express 3.5 Super Ride kit, which really ended up initially at 4.5. it will settle a bit, but ill probably end up around 4. and everything I listed, I have done to mine. the lift ended up running close to 900, by time i had to buy a few bolts and nuts from the dealer and a few other unexpected parts.
agreed!! its not just slappin a lift on and hitting the trail. beyond the lift (of which a new one w/ full leaf packs should be like 400-600) theres the steering and driveline issues already mentioned. all said and done you could spend as much on prepairing the vehicle for a lift as getting the lift itself... not be a total tool in the spokes but its the reality of it! i am glad, in retrospect, that i havent gotten a lift yet.. its my DD and like my signature says, if i roll it, im screwed... not to mention the fact that they call em daily drivers OR weekend warriors... you gotta know now which one it is, cause unless you wanna have your DD constantly in the shop for random **** like new u joints, ball joints, break repairs, drive shaft issues, and a whole laundry list of other stuff ya dont wanna deal with cause ya beat the hell outta it on the trails every weekend (like i did for the first year i owned my xj...) my point is (speaking from experience) your xj cannot be a DD and a WW... with all that said, jeeps are stupid fun and when i wheeled mine, it would go almost everywhere my buddies wrangler with 6" lift, 33's and ARB's front and rear (lucky bastard) would. and all i got is a 2" BB and 235 dura tracs!
Old 09-11-2011, 12:47 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996

Mines goona be a once a month or maybe twice weekend warrior, it is my DD as well, but I maybe drive it 50 miles a week, at most, usually maybe 20 tops. I have a work truck that I bring home with me, so if it goes down, I still have a ride. Anyway I feel it can be both, depending on the type of offroad conditions you give it to and how hard you beat on it.
Old 09-11-2011, 02:26 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 HOE

alright guys thanks for all the help. i just wanted to make sure i wouldnt mess **** up by hodge podging a lift together like that. im just gonna do the 3" lift and then my 31's. i just cant stand lookin at my jeep anymore with it sittin low and havin training wheels for tires on it
Old 09-11-2011, 02:41 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0, comp cam, 99 intake, apn header, neon injectors, Thunderbolt 2.5" High Flow Cat

I've beat the hell out of mine on the trail and it still gets driven every day.