Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Putting my lift on T-day!

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 12:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Putting my lift on T-day!

Alright I'm pumped to get my baby up from sagging to where she belongs. This being said, what kind of prep should I be doing to get ready to put it on? I understand that you can put on bolt loosener but I don't know what to get. Any other advice is greatly appreciated! I bet there are some rookie mistakes that are common, so if you can forwarn me that would be great! I'm no mechanic but I'm going to do my best.

This is the kit I ended up going with:

http://roughcountry.com/jeep_xj_4x.html

Thanks guys. CF has been invaluable since I got my xj!
Old 11-20-2012, 12:56 PM

Year: 1993

Looking forward to hearing how it goes,
Old 11-20-2012, 01:09 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A 50/50 mix of Acetone and auto trans fluid is the best penetrating oil ever.
Make sure you have all the tools you'll need plus a BFH, come-along, torch, sawzall, etc.
Take your time
Take pictures.
Take measurements before you start of ride height, distance between certain points and your front and rear axles so you can keep everything in alignment for the most part.
If you don't have power tools, borrow some.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:41 PM

Year: 1998

Really blast the leaf spring eye bolts with penetrating oil for a few days prior, they can be a real pain and you may end up having to cut them out if they are frozen into the bushings. You might need a t-case drop kit if you dont already have one.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:52 PM
Do you hear banjos?

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

A tool that I have found to be a lot of help during a XJ lift install is a big pipe wrench. I never put a kit on where the damned bolt holes lined up right on all four links...so, in comes the pipe wrench. If fits, well, pipe, which is what your axle tubes are. You can put that baby on there, use a small bottle jack under it to turn the pipe wrench, which turns the axle, and viola, holes line up. A lot of force is not required, but it will take more than you can exert by hand. Another rook mistake is fighting the track bar to line it up....simply use the power steering of the Jeep. If the TB is un-hooked, just turn the wheel until the holes line up, and throw the bolt in it....this 2nd process is much easier with 2 people. HTH!!
Old 11-20-2012, 03:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by COSXJFAN
A tool that I have found to be a lot of help during a XJ lift install is a big pipe wrench. I never put a kit on where the damned bolt holes lined up right on all four links...so, in comes the pipe wrench. If fits, well, pipe, which is what your axle tubes are. You can put that baby on there, use a small bottle jack under it to turn the pipe wrench, which turns the axle, and viola, holes line up. A lot of force is not required, but it will take more than you can exert by hand. Another rook mistake is fighting the track bar to line it up....simply use the power steering of the Jeep. If the TB is un-hooked, just turn the wheel until the holes line up, and throw the bolt in it....this 2nd process is much easier with 2 people. HTH!!
When installing the track bar I loosened the bolts under the airbox where the track bar mounts to the body,that steering trick didn't work for me.