Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

psychotic otk steering set up

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 03:16 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: The venerable 4.0
Default psychotic otk steering set up

Ok once again I know people have knocked rocky road... put your prejudice aside and at least look at this. I would be willing to shell out the cash for this setup... others I've looked at just don't seem to be worth the absorbanant prices charged. Seriously check this out http://www.rocky-road.com/xjott.html
Old 08-31-2011, 03:42 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 2.5 4 cyl.

people don't diss there products, just their service. rocky road makes great stuff, my shackles from them are the most beast I've seen. I personally had no problem with them. got my stuff right on time
Old 08-31-2011, 06:37 AM
CF Veteran

That is over priced and comes with many unneeded brackets and doesn't even come with heavier duty ball joints. I would never waste my money on that.

Simple, easy, cost effect, and straight to the point.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:12 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by OnlyInMyXJ22
That is over priced and comes with many unneeded brackets and doesn't even come with heavier duty ball joints. I would never waste my money on that.

Simple, easy, cost effect, and straight to the point.
Nothing else lifts it up as high. Their steering is above.the pumpkin. There are so many brackets for relocating the track bar and the sway bar Plus its all inclusive, you even get the track bar. I think its a good price. And like I said that one you sent a link for moves it up what...3"??? So you're giving them your money for almost nothing. You really don't need hd ball joints on that kit either because the angle is so flat. And that is a nice kit but the geometry is way off. The track bar really needs.to be relocated. Not only that look at the install instructions... brace the coil buckets, get rid of or relocate sway bar etc..not a.comprehensive kit. I bet you you will spend another 200 or better to make that kit complete

Last edited by Slick761; 08-31-2011 at 11:19 AM.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:22 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by xj_maniac_newb
people don't diss there products, just their service. rocky road makes great stuff, my shackles from them are the most beast I've seen. I personally had no problem with them. got my stuff right on time
I'm very impressed with their ingenuity and prices. I will be placing an order shortly to test everything out. If all goes well ill be raving about them and vice versa.... they have some amazing products at amazing prices and if they have their act together I will use them for more then one thing.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:33 AM
Banned

FrankZ OTK steering is better and cheaper. Doesn't come w brackets but they can be had for far less.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:18 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Slick761
Nothing else lifts it up as high. Their steering is above.the pumpkin. There are so many brackets for relocating the track bar and the sway bar Plus its all inclusive, you even get the track bar. I think its a good price. And like I said that one you sent a link for moves it up what...3"??? So you're giving them your money for almost nothing. You really don't need hd ball joints on that kit either because the angle is so flat. And that is a nice kit but the geometry is way off. The track bar really needs.to be relocated. Not only that look at the install instructions... brace the coil buckets, get rid of or relocate sway bar etc..not a.comprehensive kit. I bet you you will spend another 200 or better to make that kit complete
If you say so...but even the JCR steering that is utk works perfectly fine. I never had any angle or front end issues.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:27 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 97
Engine: 4.0L

Looks like a whole lot of bolts the worry about loosening up. All that bracketry would add a ton of weight to your front axle. Just FYI I have less than $200 in mine (homebuilt) but I don't run a sway bar. That's by choice it's pretty easy to move them up.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:49 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by xjmarc
Looks like a whole lot of bolts the worry about loosening up. All that bracketry would add a ton of weight to your front axle. Just FYI I have less than $200 in mine (homebuilt) but I don't run a sway bar. That's by choice it's pretty easy to move them up.
What did you use as far as knuckles go? Describe your setup please... I'm interested.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 480 Likes on 412 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

Before you pull the trigger on this, there are a few things you need to know about high steers. First, thee are some competitively priced kits out there. I bought a Tereflex kit and got all the stuff including some stuff I didn't need. But this kit, as well as the Tereflex and one that is probably better you can get from Parts Mike is that the upper arm where the drag link connects sticks out farther than the stock location. That means with a stock steering box and arm you will have an increased turning radius. You will have to lengthen your pitman arm like I had to. Second, your track bar will no longer be parallel to your drag link. If this is a trailer queen, no biggie. But if a DD, this will cause your steering to have bump steer and likely death wobble you cannot cure until you build a custom track bar like I had to to get rid of that. So there are more things to consider than the price of the kit.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:26 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 97
Engine: 4.0L

What did you use as far as knuckles go? Describe your setup please... I'm interested.
Stock knuckles for now till I find some extra cash to drill and tap mine, they are flattops. Mine is 3/4 heims and 1.5" x .25" wall dom.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:50 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 4.3L XJ
Before you pull the trigger on this, there are a few things you need to know about high steers. First, thee are some competitively priced kits out there. I bought a Tereflex kit and got all the stuff including some stuff I didn't need. But this kit, as well as the Tereflex and one that is probably better you can get from Parts Mike is that the upper arm where the drag link connects sticks out farther than the stock location. That means with a stock steering box and arm you will have an increased turning radius. You will have to lengthen your pitman arm like I had to. Second, your track bar will no longer be parallel to your drag link. If this is a trailer queen, no biggie. But if a DD, this will cause your steering to have bump steer and likely death wobble you cannot cure until you build a custom track bar like I had to to get rid of that. So there are more things to consider than the price of the kit.
On the track bar, the rr kit comes with a new track bar mounts and hardware. If you look at the pic it is relocated parallel to the drag link.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 480 Likes on 412 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

On the track bar, the rr kit comes with a new track bar mounts and hardware. If you look at the pic it is relocated parallel to the drag link.
I am not seeing it. The track bar in that kit would have to be moved up about 6" and 4" to the left. The stock track bar mounts under the coil. When you move it up, it would be in the coil. At first I just shortened it about 4". But this was not very satisfactory. Here is what I built after finally completely trashing it.

Notice how far the bracket sticks out to the left now.

Here is the completely parallel and same length track bar and drag link. Notice three things in this photo. I could have moved the drag link up on the arm another three inches to a very similar height the RR set up is. I have that option. But notice how high the other end of the track bar is and that it goes to near the edge of the coil. I am skeptical that there is a bracket in that pic that will do that. And I can tell you that when I added to my track bar bracket, I ripped the whole thing off. The third is that my tie rod is not under the knuckle. I used to have it over, but the steering stabilizer set up was a real pain and not very good.

But anyway, just sharing my experiences. I have been messing with this for a long time to get it ironed out and finally have. Drives perfect now and absolutely no death wobble. One advantage I like with the RR version is provision for a steering stabilizer.

Last edited by 4.3L XJ; 08-31-2011 at 10:17 PM.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:11 PM
CF Veteran

The track bar in their set up is straight and behind the tie rod. It is located off the driver side uca mount. It is raised on the pass side too. It is parallel to the drag link. The sway bar is also relocated. They say to use the stock pittman. It is a bolt in kit and it looks like everything is well thought out as it is said to be built for a dd.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:26 PM
CF Veteran

Here
Attached Thumbnails psychotic otk steering set up-forumrunner_20110831_212620.jpg  

Quick Reply: psychotic otk steering set up