Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems with TPS and/or IAC

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 04:05 PM
pwb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default Problems with TPS and/or IAC

Hi, i know this is the wrong forum since i have a Grand Cherokee, but i need fast answer on this so i can order a good TPS. I have a GC 1993 4.0L I6 engine so i put a question in here to.

This is my question(s):

I had high idle after i disconnected the battery, its started very low, nearly stalling but got higher (1250) after some hours of driving (learning the PCM?) and the IAC take longer time to learn, correct? I then ordered new IAC, TPS and MAF from rockauto, they was from STANDARD (Red box with STANDARD on them). After i cleaned the throttle body and repalced IAC, TPS and MAF the idle was fine even from the beginning since i had disconnected the battery. The new IAC was maybe faster to learn? But the transmission started to shift up to early and even go in lock to soon, not a realy big problem, but i had to realy step on the gas to get some reaction when driving on flat road in low speed, it had to shift down. Then i got some input that it maybe is the TPS since the TPS is controlling the shifting, i did adjust my TV cable, but i have the self adjusting (the button to press). I then tok out the new TPS and that broke a part so it must have been some realy bad quality. I replaced it with my old one and now the shifting is more normal, BUT the high idle is back. I didnt disconnect the battery this time, so the IAC do not need any learning process, correct?

Was my new TPS bad from the beginning since the trasnmission shifts to early?

Is my old TPS bad since the idle is to high (1250 rpm)? But the strange thing is that the idle was fine until i disconnected the battery the first time, but the IAC was realy dirty, so maybe it got stuck when adjusting in the learning process?

Is my new IAC of bad quality or it is a combination of IAC and TPS that make this problems?

I have found a new TPS and IAC on rockauto from Omix-ada, would parts from that brand fix my problems?
Old 10-26-2011, 03:32 AM
kjc
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 4.0L Laredo

I have a 1993 GC 4.0L I6 too. I think you're on the right track with the tps and iac. I didn't replace mine, just cleaned them (no problems, they were just really dirty) Cleaning did make it idle better tho.
As far as your shifting problems, you might try adjusting your TV cable. It's a cable from your throttle lever to the transmission. Check out this article:
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f5/kic...ustment-95421/
When I adjusted mine it was like night and day difference
good luck!
Old 10-26-2011, 03:43 AM
pwb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by kjc
I have a 1993 GC 4.0L I6 too. I think you're on the right track with the tps and iac. I didn't replace mine, just cleaned them (no problems, they were just really dirty) Cleaning did make it idle better tho.
As far as your shifting problems, you might try adjusting your TV cable. It's a cable from your throttle lever to the transmission. Check out this article:
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f5/kic...ustment-95421/
When I adjusted mine it was like night and day difference
good luck!
My TV cable has a pushbutton and i have pushed the cable back, and then when i open the Throttle to the max the cable is adjusting itself, so thats okey. I think i will order new TPS, but should i also order a new IAC and is parts from STANDARD only crap? Should i go for Omix-ada?