Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Kickdown cable adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 03:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Kickdown cable adjustment

I have searched the forum for procedure to adjust the kickdown cable on a 94Zj 4.0 but I can't find directions. I only see comments that say search for it. Could someone please point me in the direction to find this?
Old 07-06-2011, 04:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

There is a button on the conduit near the bracket that is on the intake manifold, push that button and slide the smaller portion of the conduit where the cable comes out into the larger portion of the conduit. Now open the throttle fully open, that should take care of the adjustment. Take it for a test drive and see how it shifts.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 95

Like said above, its right before where the metal cable comes out of the plastic at the throttle body. Mine is a 95 and I have the white plastic clip. If its the white clip, take a small pic or pocket screwdriver and gently pry the clip straight up. It may come off but it only needs to come up a little. If its the recessed square button (most are black) then use a screwdriver or something to push the button in and move the cable forward or back.

BTW it is not a "kickdown" or "detent". Most people dont care about terminology but its the Throttle Valve cable "TV". This is a pretty critical adjustment, if its too loose it will upshift very quickly, also causing low trans pressure and possibly burning the clutches/bands. If its too tight then it will shift late and harsh. A little movement can change quite a bit, so you might need to move it a few times.

If anything you might prefer a little on the tight side <haha.. If its a little tight, it will shift a little firmer, hold gears a little longer and downshift a little more sensitve. I usually set mine like that, it works a lot better when crawling around off road and it doesnt make upshifts/downshifts so busy.

If you want to tighten the cable, release clip and pull plastic cable housing away from throttle body (pass side), to loosen cable then pull cable housing toward throttle body (drivers side) You should see the affect it has on the cable.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:38 AM

Wow thanks, great explaination. I will try this today at lunch. Again thanks guys you guys are easier to understand than books
Old 07-07-2011, 03:57 PM

I went to tight and it would go over 3000 rpm to shift while at what I would call a normal acceleration not crawling but not to hard. I repositioned to where now it shifts from 1st to 2nd then 3rd right below 3000. Feels pretty good to me, does that sound about right?
Old 07-07-2011, 04:02 PM
CF Veteran

If you're comfortable with it then it's good.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:50 PM
Former Sponsor

Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee

T.V. cable adjustment goes by full throttle shift rpm. take it down the road and make a full throttle run 1-2-3. check shift rpm, should be shifting in the area of 200rpm before redline. This is where it should be set. if it feels funny, you can tweak from there.
Technically the part throttle shift point is set by the t.v. lever stop on the valve body and the full throttle by the cable.
Like stated above it is a very critical adjustment, and you want to make sure it is done correctly.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:21 AM

If you want a refrence our 4.0 shifts around 2,000-2500 rpm depending on what throttle is given. Altho anything higher and i would say its reving too much. Also remember this is called a kickdown cable also, so while you may like the rpm's hanging for a long time before it shifts.. You may not like it how it shifts going up a hill.. the higher rpm your normal shifts, the longer itll hold a gear going up a hill and possibly boggin you down.
Old 07-10-2011, 06:09 PM

Year: 1998

Is it similar to the 98?
Old 07-10-2011, 06:14 PM
CF Veteran

Yep
Old 10-02-2011, 07:49 PM

Year: 1993
Engine: 5.2
Default 1993 GC 5.2L TV adjustment

Will these directions be the same for my 5.2L? Thanks for any info, Paul.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 95

Yes, they are the same, basically you dont want it to upshift too quickly (loose). I think most people would be comfortable with adjusting the cable a little on the tight side. That way it not only increases pressure a little bit but it will hold gears a little longer. This helps even more when towing or offroad.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:19 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 5.2L
Default hunts at low speed

Originally Posted by jnicewan
Yes, they are the same, basically you dont want it to upshift too quickly (loose). I think most people would be comfortable with adjusting the cable a little on the tight side. That way it not only increases pressure a little bit but it will hold gears a little longer. This helps even more when towing or offroad.
My 96 5.2L shifts OK through the gears on acceleration and it seems to downshift OK on hills or kick down, but at very low parking lot speeds it seems to hunt or jerk a bit even going straight.

I recently changed the filter and fluid (ATF Plus4) and set the front and rear bands per the manual. Would a TV cable adjustment affect/improve the low speed shifting?
Old 10-03-2011, 02:33 PM
Former Sponsor

Year: 2000

it could. that is also a common problem with the chrysler trans. you can try to pull the cable out one notch.
Mostly its caused by valve body wear. I believe there are updates for the shuttle shifting, but its normally more lock up or 4th gear.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:11 PM

Year: 1993
Engine: 5.2

Thanks for all the info on my 5.2L kick down cable, extremely satisfied with everyone's input and willingness to help. GOD Bless You. I'm probably gonna be requesting more of your knowledge in the future. In the mean time, don't hesitate to ask, if anyone needs my assistance from St. Joseph,MO. Thanks Again, Paul Q.

Quick Reply: Kickdown cable adjustment