Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pre Lift install questions......

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 10:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Pre Lift install questions......

So i have a 4.5" Rough country X series about to go into my 99XJ. Is there anything that I might need before the install like any small parts you guys would suggest i put into make tha lift that much better??? Also does it need a drop pitman arm for the install??
Mike G.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:12 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 2.5 4 cyl.

A tool or two I suggest you have is a breaker bar and/or and impact, along with a good bit of determination. I used a 3 foot piece of pipe from our old pool as a cheater and did it all with hand tools. Impact would have made the install MUCH faster.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:14 AM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L

x2, and PB Blast al of your bolts too about a week ahead of time itll help quite a bit, and most likely those rear shock bolts will break which you can replace with grade 8 bolts lots of threads on it
Old 03-14-2013, 10:15 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Engine: 2.5 4 cyl.

Yep. and i recommend some welding wire or a magnet to fish the new bolts in the rear shock mounts when/if they break. Unless you've got tiny hands of course.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:58 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000 XJ
Engine: 4.8L Stroker

Not sure where you live, but if its anywhere that uses salt on the roads in winter those rear leaf bolts could be a real bear to get out. I live in Michigan, so the bolts had become one with the vehicle. I ended up soaking them with ATF for a while (which is an excellent penetrating oil by the way, i have a garden sprayer in my garage full of it at all times). I then put my socket with a long breaker bar and a 3' chunk of pipe on it. I would put as much weight on it as i could and then take a 3 pound sledge and give the top of the breaker bar right over the bolt a good WACK! The bolt would usually rotate 1/12342354 of a turn each time. Eventually they came out without breaking. It took a while. Just be patient. Some bolts are easier to get out by breaking, some are not. If you break those spring bolts, they add a whole new set of tasks to get them fixed.

Just a couple of ideas.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:22 AM
CF Veteran

Don't know if your kit came with them, but extended brake lines. I don't know why most kits come without them.. Also brake fluid so you can blead the lines..like they said above BP blase everything for a couple days. You'll appreciate it when bolts are coming out without braking.

Good luck
Old 03-14-2013, 11:48 AM

Ya i live in NH and they love the salt around here. I was more asking about little pieces for the lift kit it self.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:54 AM
Old School CF Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My last 3 xjs have had hitches and required me to cut the bolt that runs through the leaf eye and through the shackle.. ive had to back it out, cut a bit, hammer it out more, cut more..etc till it comes out..
Usually thats the only "extra" thing I need is 2 bolts to replace those.

But if your installing new shackles you wont have this issue.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:04 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000 XJ
Engine: 4.8L Stroker

Yep, I forgot to mention that too. I had to torch my hitch off. I bought new nutstrips and a JCR skid plate to tidy up the back end afterward. Hitch was going to be a PITA while trying to work on all that stuff and I never used it. A cutoff wheel on an angle grinder would work too.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:16 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by mtnbker
Ya i live in NH and they love the salt around here. I was more asking about little pieces for the lift kit it self.
I don't have any advice to offer, being still stock height, but WELCOME FROM NH! Where in NH are you from? Manchester here. GL w the lift.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by stock95sport(for now)
I don't have any advice to offer, being still stock height, but WELCOME FROM NH! Where in NH are you from? Manchester here. GL w the lift.
Im in Nashua, anybody else on here from NH?
Old 03-14-2013, 02:02 PM

get some extra leaf spring bolts unless your kit comes with them . if u break one or have to cut one it would be nice to have extras. also buy or rent some coil spring compressors u might need them
Old 03-14-2013, 05:10 PM

Everything so far is spot on. One not yet suggested is a friend. preferably a useful one. I did most of my lift solo. While doable it takes longer, requires more creative arrangements and is just less fun than having someone there to hand you a beer.

Also, being from a salt loving state myself. PB blast everything for several days ahead of time and be prepared to replace every bolt you take off.

Good luck
Old 03-14-2013, 05:25 PM

I just put the same lift on my 92 about a month ago. Between everything being rusted, breaking the weld nut loose inside the leaf spring to frame mount, etc, it took a total of about 17 hrs. And it says to do only 1 control arm at a time and I would suggest following that. I took all mine off at one time to get the axle to drop enough to get the new springs in, and I used up my yearly quota of cuss words, and some ratchet straps, trying to get everything lined up again.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:27 PM
OEJ
CF Veteran

I got my hands on some Kroil. its commercial pent. oil, pb is good to use too but kroil is the cats a$$..

Anyway. I hit all the bolts 2x a day for 2 weeks. I still broke 2 shock bolts but not one other bolt broke on me.

Speaking of shock bolts. I bought grade 8 nuts and bolts for all 4 shocks. if they break,which they will. drill them out or air chissel them out.

No need to run welding wire to fish them through. All you have to is get a box wrench and tape the nut to it. then slide it into the opening that is there and ull be good. screw the bolt in.

MAKE SURE YOU USE ANTISEIZE ON ALL UR HARDWARE.

It makes it easier the next time you service any of the suspension next time.

Shackle kit will only give you the rear leaf spring bolts. I bought the front bolts from IRO. Thats really about it. Pb blaster is the key though. Allow urself 2 days and keep ur cool. Walk away when you need to.

Quick Reply: Pre Lift install questions......