Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Post Lift: Leaking and Squeaking

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 11:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Post Lift: Leaking and Squeaking

I installed a 3" lift with a TC drop about a month ago or roughly 800'ish miles ago. It's been squeaking loudly since. I got under it today to retighten all the nuts and bolts and I also found the culprit to my annoying squeak.

The exhaust hanger is rubbing (resting against) the transfer case

And looking forward I noticed my front diff is leaking like crazy, or so it appears...

Any ideas on how to rectify the hanger against the TC? I really dont want to unbolt the rusty exhaust, in fear it will all snap and I'll have to replace it, just to grind down the TC above it to make some clearance. The only thing thats rusty is my exhaust...

As for the front, I have no idea what to do with it. This is my first Jeep, suv or truck and none of my rwd cars have had this issue so its uncharted territory for me.

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-15-2014, 08:41 AM

bump
Old 01-15-2014, 08:53 AM

Year: 2000
Engine: I 4.0

Your front diff has a pinion seal leak. There are a ton of write ups online as to how to replace your pinion seal. Also, a jeep cherokee repair manual from an auto parts store will give you great info as well. Your t-case photo doesn't show me anything that would make it squeak. I wish I could help you there but I can't figure out how an exhaust hanger would cause a squeaking noise louder then the motor. No matter what it's rubbing against. Could it be a belt squeak?
Old 01-15-2014, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by schirm
Your front diff has a pinion seal leak. There are a ton of write ups online as to how to replace your pinion seal. Also, a jeep cherokee repair manual from an auto parts store will give you great info as well. Your t-case photo doesn't show me anything that would make it squeak. I wish I could help you there but I can't figure out how an exhaust hanger would cause a squeaking noise louder then the motor. No matter what it's rubbing against. Could it be a belt squeak?
Thanks I will look into that. The squeak is the exhaust hanger/mount sitting against what i assume is part of the TC, it may be the mount. But it's resting directly on it causing an awful squeak.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:16 AM

I see where it is touching the mount. Try and pry the exhaust hanger down away from the mount. You may be able to move it enough that way.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:22 AM

When you put the tc drop in exhaust stayed up where it was and the hanger moved down. You can see in your pic where the hanger used to hang on the rubber and now it is touching the top of it. If the pipe its self isn't touching any thing or will touch if it goes up a little more you may have to cut that hanger off and have a new one welded on in its place.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:29 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1998

Remove TC drop and do a slip yoke eliminator (SYE) and front shaft for the rear instead. A little costly, but your best bet overal...and definitely get that pinion seal taken care of before you break your D30!
Old 01-15-2014, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by PocketsEmpty
Remove TC drop and do a slip yoke eliminator (SYE) and front shaft for the rear instead. A little costly, but your best bet overal...and definitely get that pinion seal taken care of before you break your D30!
Not worth it at this time. This is my beater that i barely put 3000 miles on a year. Maybe someday but for now just being operational is its only purpose.

As for the exhaust staying put... i dont understand how that is the case though it appears to be true. But when a TC drop is installed the entire drivetrain is slightly angled which means the exhaust should as well since its fixed to the header and so on. I dont recall a flex pipe being on there

But no the pipe is not touching anything. I will try prying and if that fails I'll just have to ground out a little clearance from the mount.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:41 AM

Engine: I 4.0

Another thing, since you mentioned this is your first SUV. Unless one is extremely lucky, almost all old jeeps that are newly lifted get two results with their lift: 1) fluid leaks 2) new noises. The pinion seal leak was no doubt helped to come about by the inevitable changing of your drive shaft angles, and you already know the cause of your squeak. So don't let these issues bother you, they're common. Sometimes the time and money involved in chasing problems caused by already dumping time and money into modifying a jeep can seem daunting, especially to a beginner. But once you get good a turning wrenches and have all the basic tools it actually gets addicting! If that wasn't true then we wouldn't have forums like this one! Welcome to the Jeepers world!
Old 01-15-2014, 02:12 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

I did the same thing as the OP I did a lift then put the TC drop kit on it... A TC drop kit is basically a bandaid for the the drive shaft vibes... and it may remedy that.. However IMO what your are doing with a TC drop is adding angles and stress to other areas of your drivetrain that aren't going to adapt as well.. My suggestion would be to get an SYE installed as soon as you can afford it.. however since you said your on a budget and don't want to do that... The least you could do is to check your Motor and Trans mounts... If your XJ has any number higher of miles on it odds are it the mounts need to be replaced..

I recently removed my TC drop kit when I installed my SYE.. this is when I realized my Exhaust pipe was also rubbing..over/under the cross member... This I believe was the result of the added angle the TC drop kit added to the exhaust mount... and wore out Trans mount... If you replace the trans mount my suggestion its to do the Motor mounts at the same time. I replaced all of the above and my exhaust no longer rubs anywhere..

I bought the parts on RockAuto.com

Motor mounts $4.99ea x 2
Trans mount $14.99 ea...
Old 01-15-2014, 02:48 PM

Thanks fellas, I'm no rookie to cars but i appreciate the advice. I think the Jeep is number 17 on my vehicle ownership list (I'm 31) and I picked it up in 2012 to have as a winter daily driver after I sold my AWD Audi. I play with cars (other car is my modded 370z) so this is my first solid axle (up front) vehicle. I do my own work unless it involves welding or something I dont have or I dont want to do it, then I'll pay someone.

Budget isnt a problem, it's just if I have $X to do something it will probably go to the Z, the house, etc. The Jeep, at least for now and probably as long as I own it, is a maintenance only sort of thing. I installed the lift because the tires and shocks were all shot, so while I was at it I wanted to make it a little more aggressive looking.

Last edited by BrandonSS; 01-15-2014 at 04:16 PM.
Old 01-15-2014, 03:19 PM
kgm
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 99

Pinion seal is pretty easy to replace. Personally I'd just keep an eye on the fluid level though. I am broke and lazy. haha.
Old 01-15-2014, 05:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Use a pry bar between mount and hanger it will bend.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:51 PM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

Originally Posted by freegdr
Use a pry bar between mount and hanger it will bend.
+1 had to do the same when I put a new manifold on.