Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plumbing an aux. trans cooler correctly

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2016, 07:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994 Country
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L
Default Plumbing an aux. trans cooler correctly

From the factory the XJ 1994 AW4 trans cooler is connected this way:

Supply oil line from trans (the front one on the trans) to upper port of OEM radiator > lower port of the OEM radiator to the return line of the trans (the rear one on the trans).

I read many write ups and im confused how to install the aux trans cooler :

1) trans > top of OEM rad > bottom of OEM rad > top of aux cooler > bottom of aux cooler > trans (thats the original settings for the factory trans cooler)

2) trans > top of OEM rad > bottom of OEM rad > bottom of aux cooler > top of aux cooler > trans

Which one is correct and how will it affect the AW4 temp if its installed one way or the other please.

Plus i want to install a temp gauge for the trans , the B&M comes with the complete kit but the oil line must be cut to install it, and the Jeep gauge brand (looks great its a jeep) from autometer comes with a sending unit and adapter to be installed on the trans oil pan.
which one is easier to install?

Thank you
Old 08-07-2016, 11:11 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by tonybeirut
From the factory the XJ 1994 AW4 trans cooler is connected this way:

Supply oil line from trans (the front one on the trans) to upper port of OEM radiator > lower port of the OEM radiator to the return line of the trans (the rear one on the trans).

I read many write ups and im confused how to install the aux trans cooler :

1) trans > top of OEM rad > bottom of OEM rad > top of aux cooler > bottom of aux cooler > trans (thats the original settings for the factory trans cooler)

2) trans > top of OEM rad > bottom of OEM rad > bottom of aux cooler > top of aux cooler > trans

Which one is correct and how will it affect the AW4 temp if its installed one way or the other please.

Plus i want to install a temp gauge for the trans , the B&M comes with the complete kit but the oil line must be cut to install it, and the Jeep gauge brand (looks great its a jeep) from autometer comes with a sending unit and adapter to be installed on the trans oil pan.
which one is easier to install?

Thank you
The routing I used is from the trans supply to the radiator's bottom trans cooler port which allows for any air bubbles to continue upwards (air rises) and return to the transmission. Then from the top port using the stock metal oil cooler tube to the trans cooler.

(transmission)====>(rad bottom port)==(upwards)==(rad top port)====>(trans cooler)===>(back to transmission)

I can't recall if this is how the factory installs their trans cooler. I remember a few years ago seeing a diagram, but can't remember if the trans cooler was connected to the upper or lower radiator port.

The way I have it routed all you need to do is connect the supply cooler line to the lower port and the trans cooler hose to the upper metal tube that connects to the top port.
______

An inline temperature sensor will monitor fluid temperature where you place the sensor. If on the supply line you will have closer temperature readings of the fluid in the transmission. Place near or on the return line you will have readings after the fluid has been cooled down.

I'm not familiar with the sending unit and adapter installed on the trans oil pan. I'm more familiar with temp. gauges that use an inline T adapter that hold a sending unit connected via a wire to the gauge. This type should be easy to install on the metal part of the return line, possibly the supply line. You should be careful when moving the metal cooler lines as they're usually tightly secured with oem clamps, where a section is tightly fitted next to the engine's oil pan. When moved out of their original position potentially become damaged from parts of the suspension, etc. If the cooler lines are loose and not secure you need to secure them. The OE has a specific routing with certain points where the lines are secured and clamped down.

It may not be included with instructions that come with the trans cooler. B&M recommends positioning both of the ports on their trans cooler either upwards or to the side. The reason being any trapped air potentially will have a tendency to go upwards. This positioning is recommended for their aluminum stacked plate type of coolers.

I installed one of their coolers with the ports down and didn't notice any difference. Eventually I switched them to the side as recommended. I presume under certain conditions air potentially becomes trapped with the ports pointed down.

Any trapped air in the trans cooler & system will cause the cooler to work less efficiently.

B&M Super Cooler Mounting Guide

https://postimg.org/image/46qqs1m3f/

Last edited by Anony; 08-07-2016 at 11:17 PM.
Old 08-08-2016, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by Anony
The routing I used is from the trans supply to the radiator's bottom trans cooler port which allows for any air bubbles to continue upwards (air rises) and return to the transmission. Then from the top port using the stock metal oil cooler tube to the trans cooler.

(transmission)====>(rad bottom port)==(upwards)==(rad top port)====>(trans cooler)===>(back to transmission)

I can't recall if this is how the factory installs their trans cooler. I remember a few years ago seeing a diagram, but can't remember if the trans cooler was connected to the upper or lower radiator port.

The way I have it routed all you need to do is connect the supply cooler line to the lower port and the trans cooler hose to the upper metal tube that connects to the top port.
______

An inline temperature sensor will monitor fluid temperature where you place the sensor. If on the supply line you will have closer temperature readings of the fluid in the transmission. Place near or on the return line you will have readings after the fluid has been cooled down.

I'm not familiar with the sending unit and adapter installed on the trans oil pan. I'm more familiar with temp. gauges that use an inline T adapter that hold a sending unit connected via a wire to the gauge. This type should be easy to install on the metal part of the return line, possibly the supply line. You should be careful when moving the metal cooler lines as they're usually tightly secured with oem clamps, where a section is tightly fitted next to the engine's oil pan. When moved out of their original position potentially become damaged from parts of the suspension, etc. If the cooler lines are loose and not secure you need to secure them. The OE has a specific routing with certain points where the lines are secured and clamped down.

It may not be included with instructions that come with the trans cooler. B&M recommends positioning both of the ports on their trans cooler either upwards or to the side. The reason being any trapped air potentially will have a tendency to go upwards. This positioning is recommended for their aluminum stacked plate type of coolers.

I installed one of their coolers with the ports down and didn't notice any difference. Eventually I switched them to the side as recommended. I presume under certain conditions air potentially becomes trapped with the ports pointed down.

Any trapped air in the trans cooler & system will cause the cooler to work less efficiently.

B&M Super Cooler Mounting Guide

https://postimg.org/image/46qqs1m3f/
I installed a Hayden cooler today, will ship a jeep brand trans and oil temp gauges from autometer with the pod but i need the T-Fitting full kit for the trans oil rail (like the kit that comes with B&M) , B&M doesn't sell it separate and couldnt find the kit online stores. Maybe you can help me finding a seller online for the kit i dont want to install the temp sensor at the trans oil pan.
Old 08-08-2016, 08:44 AM

I installed a Hayden cooler today, will ship a jeep brand trans and oil temp gauges from autometer with the pod but i need the T-Fitting full kit for the trans oil rail (like the kit that comes with B&M) , B&M doesn't sell it separate and couldnt find the kit online stores. Maybe you can help me finding a seller online for the kit i dont want to install the temp sensor at the trans oil pan.
After performing a search "B&M Part 80212" turns up many stores that carry the B&M transmission temperature gauge kit.

I'm in the US and don't know what stores are available online from your country.

https://www.amazon.com/80212-Transmi.../dp/B0002A596I

http://www.bmracing.com/products/802...erature-gauge/

Hayden oil coolers are good. I prefer B&M's stacked plate type. I have seen the stacked plate type coolers in the JY. Often used on pickup trucks that tow and carry cargo. The stacked plate type oil cooler don't normally require as much space as the more conventional tube and fin oil coolers.

What I would do is find an area on the supply or return line that is somewhat protected from the ground (road). Crawl underneath the jeep looking around and try to decide the best spot to install the T fitting and sensor. Once you figure out a good spot, then run the wire up through the engine compartment through the firewall (there are several areas you can fish a wire through the firewall so you can mount the gauge. Once the gauge and wire is installed you can then install the T-Fitting with sensor after cutting the metal oil cooler tubing.

B&M's kit should come with the necessary compression fittings to splice into the tubing. It's important these be tighten correctly, you don't want them working themselves loose. The T-Fitting and sensor needs to be installed in an area that's not prone to road debris, rocks, etc.

Last edited by Anony; 08-08-2016 at 08:49 AM.
Old 08-08-2016, 08:54 AM

After performing a search "B&M Part 80212" turns up many stores that carry the B&M transmission temperature gauge kit.

I'm in the US and don't know what stores are available online from your country.

https://www.amazon.com/80212-Transmi.../dp/B0002A596I

http://www.bmracing.com/products/802...erature-gauge/

Hayden oil coolers are good. I prefer B&M's stacked plate type. I have seen the stacked plate type coolers in the JY. Often used on pickup trucks that tow and carry cargo. The stacked plate type oil cooler don't normally require as much space as the more conventional tube and fin oil coolers.

What I would do is find an area on the supply or return line that is somewhat protected from the ground (road). Crawl underneath the jeep looking around and try to decide the best spot to install the T fitting and sensor. Once you figure out a good spot, then run the wire up through the engine compartment through the firewall (there are several areas you can fish a wire through the firewall so you can mount the gauge. Once the gauge and wire is installed you can then install the T-Fitting with sensor after cutting the metal oil cooler tubing.

B&M's kit should come with the necessary compression fittings to splice into the tubing. It's important these be tighten correctly, you don't want them working themselves loose. The T-Fitting and sensor needs to be installed in an area that's not prone to road debris, rocks, etc.
Yes I saw the b&m kit but I want to install a jeep gauge from automerer. Jeep gauge from autometer comes with an adapter and a sensor to be installed at the Trans oil pan. What I'm looking for is a t—fitting kit exactly like the one that comes with the b&m so I can install it with the jeep gauge.
Old 08-08-2016, 08:58 AM

Yes I saw the b&m kit but I want to install a jeep gauge from automerer. Jeep gauge from autometer comes with an adapter and a sensor to be installed at the Trans oil pan. What I'm looking for is a t—fitting kit exactly like the one that comes with the b&m so I can install it with the jeep gauge.
What's the AutoMeter part number? This would help greatly as I don't have a clue the size fittings used with the Autometer Guage.

From the PDF installation file shows B&M's temperature guage kit includes both a 3/8" and 5/16" T fitting. I believe Jeep's cooler line is 3/8". B&M's PDF file doesn't show the size fittings used for the sending unit. Perhaps they use an adapter that fits both 3/8" and 5/16" T fittings. Or both T-fittings use the same size port for the sending unit.

http://files.dpbrands.com/bm/instructions/80212.pdf

You need to make certain that the Autometer sensor and hardware is compatible with the T-fitting used to splice into XJ's cooler line. The ends of the T-fittings sometimes vary. e.g. could be two 3/8" for the tubing and one 5/16" or 1/4" for the sending unit. You would need the correct size compression fittings to couple the sending unit to the T-fitting.

Once you figure out the correct size, e-mail the tech or sales support of one of the online auto parts supply stores that is able to ship to your country without alot of expense for shipping. The tech or sales support should be able to find you the correct T-fitting with compression fittings.

I would also perform a search for the correct size fitting on sites such as on eBay.

In the US I often US Rock Auto, Jegs, eBay, etc. to find auto parts.

These types of fittings are usually carried at local auto parts stores in the US.

Last edited by Anony; 08-08-2016 at 09:36 AM.
Old 08-08-2016, 09:07 AM

What's the AutoMeter part number?
Product #880260
Comes with sending unit and 3/8 npt and 1/2 npt adapter fittings... That's for the Trans oil pan I guess.
They have the kit for the transmission line but it's $52....
Old 08-08-2016, 10:07 AM

Product #880260
Comes with sending unit and 3/8 npt and 1/2 npt adapter fittings... That's for the Trans oil pan I guess.
They have the kit for the transmission line but it's $52....

After chatting with Autometer tech support he recommended their adapter.

He said you could use your own adapter if the fittings are the correct size.

From what I gather the Autometer adapter uses a 1/2" NPT to 1/8" adapter on their T-Fitting. It appears the sending unit is 1/8" inch which is installed into the 1/8 to 1/2" NPT thread adapter which screws into the T-fitting block.

Take a look at their pdf file for the Autometer T-fitting.

http://www.autometer.com/media/manual/2650-267X.pdf

Autometer T-fitting > http://www.autometer.com/temperature...-d-tubing.html
Old 08-08-2016, 10:07 AM

What's the AutoMeter part number? This would help greatly as I don't have a clue the size fittings used with the Autometer Guage.

From the PDF installation file shows B&M's temperature guage kit includes both a 3/8" and 5/16" T fitting. I believe Jeep's cooler line is 3/8". B&M's PDF file doesn't show the size fittings used for the sending unit. Perhaps they use an adapter that fits both 3/8" and 5/16" T fittings. Or both T-fittings use the same size port for the sending unit.

http://files.dpbrands.com/bm/instructions/80212.pdf

You need to make certain that the Autometer sensor and hardware is compatible with the T-fitting used to splice into XJ's cooler line. The ends of the T-fittings sometimes vary. e.g. could be two 3/8" for the tubing and one 5/16" or 1/4" for the sending unit. You would need the correct size compression fittings to couple the sending unit to the T-fitting.

Once you figure out the correct size, e-mail the tech or sales support of one of the online auto parts supply stores that is able to ship to your country without alot of expense for shipping. The tech or sales support should be able to find you the correct T-fitting with compression fittings.

I would also perform a search for the correct size fitting on sites such as on eBay.

In the US I often US Rock Auto, Jegs, eBay, etc. to find auto parts.

These types of fittings are usually carried at local auto parts stores in the US.
Ok so i found those at summit:
3/8 t-fitting
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/edd-164600

1/8 sender unit (as per B&M manual its a 1/8 NPT)
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sww-280ed-f

Adapter nut for the sender (1/8 to 3/8)
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sww-822650d

What do you think?
Old 08-08-2016, 10:29 AM

After chatting with Autometer tech support he recommended their adapter.

He said you could use your own adapter if the fittings are the correct size.

From what I gather the Autometer adapter uses a 1/2" NPT to 1/8" adapter on their T-Fitting. It appears the sending unit is 1/8" inch which is installed into the 1/8 to 1/2" NPT thread adapter which screws into the T-fitting block.

Take a look at their pdf file for the Autometer T-fitting.

http://www.autometer.com/media/manual/2650-267X.pdf

Autometer T-fitting > http://www.autometer.com/temperature...-d-tubing.html
Got it, so i will need a 1/8 to 1/2" NPT thread adapter and a 3/8 t-fitting to install the full kit of autometer (jeep gauge) on my trans oil line .
Old 08-08-2016, 10:39 AM

Ok so i found those at summit:
3/8 t-fitting
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/edd-164600

1/8 sender unit (as per B&M manual its a 1/8 NPT)
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sww-280ed-f

Adapter nut for the sender (1/8 to 3/8)
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sww-822650d

What do you think?
That might work however I'm concerned about the sending unit's sealing nut that fit's into the 1/2" NPT adapter. The pdf doesn't disclose the exact size. It should be 1/8" but from the pdf diagram it appears to be larger.

If you use a 3/8" compression T-fitting you would need to adapt 1/2" NPT to 3/8" compression. Then the 1/2" NPT to the sending unit's sealing nut. Unless you can find a 3/8" compression to 1/8" adapter.

An alternative would to be to find a 3/8" T-adapter with a 1/2" or 1/8" T end.

Or perhaps a T-Block same or similar as that of Autometer's 2286 T-adapter.

You wound need to make certain that what ever T-adapter is used that the sending unit's sensing bulb and sealing nut fit correctly. Will require the same type of threads.

TheStewart Warner Temperature Gauge Adapters 822650D thread sizes.

* Sending Unit Thread Size: 1/8-27 NPT

Thread Adapter Sizes Included: 1/4-18 NPT, 3/8-18 NPT, 1/2-14 NPT

* perhaps this is the size as used with Autometer kit's sending unit, however looking at the pdf I'm uncertain if the sealing nut is using NPT threads.

Is there any way to verify the Warner 822650D is the same type of sending unit as used with the Autometer?

If you use the Warner sending unit plus the additional hardware, costs become closer to the $51.00 Autometer T adapter, which comes in two sizes that fit the OD of the oil line. I'm fairly certain the Jeep uses 3/8" tubing. I would double check the OD of the Jeep's oil cooler lines.

I would try to adapt the sending unit that comes with the Autometer kit. If you can measure the sending unit threads and determine the thread type there should be no problem creating a T adapter.

If you have a micrometer you can measure the thread diameter. NPT threads are more square, however the end of the sealing nut appears to be beveled to so to create a tighter connection. It's plausible a 1/8" NPT female fitting will work ok with the Autometer's sending units sealing nut. That's where I would to start by measuring the threads used with the sending unit, plus the length of the temperature sending bulb to make certain it will fit a dyi T-adapter.

Last edited by Anony; 08-08-2016 at 11:16 AM.
Old 08-08-2016, 10:49 AM

That might work however I'm concerned about the sending unit's sealing nut that fit's into the 1/2" NPT adapter. The pdf doesn't disclose the exact size. It should be 1/8" but from the pdf diagram it appears to be larger.

If you use a 3/8" compression T-fitting you would need to adapt 1/2" NPT to 3/8" compression. Then the 1/2" NPT to the sending unit's sealing nut which I can only assume is 1/8" compression?

An alternative would to be to find a 3/8" T-adapter with a 1/2" or 1/8" T end.

Or perhaps a T-Block same or similar as that of Autometer's 2286 T-adapter.
Complicated, if i dont find a 3/8" with 1/2 or 1/8 T end online i will buy both the B&M gauge kit and the autometer jeep gauge with their kit. Will install the fittings of B&M on the Jeep autometer gauge and save the B&M gauge
Thank you for your support your a true helper
Old 08-08-2016, 11:35 AM

Complicated, if i dont find a 3/8" with 1/2 or 1/8 T end online i will buy both the B&M gauge kit and the autometer jeep gauge with their kit. Will install the fittings of B&M on the Jeep autometer gauge and save the B&M gauge
Thank you for your support your a true helper
I don't understand why you don't purchase Autometer's Product # 2286 T-adapter. Is it because of the additional cost?

Yes you can use B&M's T adapter with B&M's sending unit. There is no guarantee that the Autometer's sending unit will fit B&M's T-adapter and that B&M's sending unit will work with the Autometer's gauge. Perhaps both sending units have the same electrical specifications of a standard sending unit. But it's possible one sending unit won't work correctly with another manufacture's temperature gauge.

Autometer uses different types of sending units. Here's one that works with short sweep gauges. These senders work only on 1995 and later electric gauges with a full clear lens. Perhaps it has the same electrical characteristics of the B&M sending but may not fit B&M's T adapter. It's possible one sending unit doesn't provide the same readings as another sending unit from a different manufacture.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/atm-2258/overview/

I personally don't use a transmission temperature gauge. I normally take transmission and transmission oil reading using a laser thermometer.

Best of luck to you for what ever you decide.

Last edited by Anony; 08-08-2016 at 12:13 PM.