Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Oil Filter Adapter - roll pin part number?

Old 03-29-2016, 06:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Oil Filter Adapter - roll pin part number?

After going in to do my first oil change, I discovered the PO removed the oil filter adapter and screwed the OF directly to the engine block.

I'm going to reinstall the OFA to get everything back to the factory setup. I have the adapter assembly and torx bolt, but I cannot seem to find the roll pin that installs into engine block and keeps the OFA clocked in the correct position.

Does anyone know the part number for the roll pin?

Old 03-29-2016, 09:06 PM

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 Litre High Output

Doesn't the warning sticker inside the engine bay list the part number? Or is it referencing the actual oil filter?
Old 03-30-2016, 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by bryanintowson
Doesn't the warning sticker inside the engine bay list the part number? Or is it referencing the actual oil filter?
I can't find a part number listed anywhere. I'm probably going to have to stop by a dealership when I get the chance and see if they know what it is.

I'd really like to run an oversized filter rather than a undersized one, but without the filter adapter it's impossible.
Old 03-30-2016, 08:47 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

I'm not sure you need it. Hardware store if you feel strongly about it.
Old 03-30-2016, 09:25 AM
CF Veteran

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1996

Originally Posted by cruiser54
I'm not sure you need it. Hardware store if you feel strongly about it.
I would think it would make it easier to tighten it up without it moving around on you, but I agree it's probably not needed.
Old 05-08-2016, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by robertj
I would think it would make it easier to tighten it up without it moving around on you, but I agree it's probably not needed.
Did you find the part number from mopar ?
I am in need of a new pin too.

So far I found a generic dowel kit for the 4.0 that has it . part # FKA1 by durabond.

Last edited by Gus Sanchez; 05-08-2016 at 05:46 AM.
Old 05-08-2016, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Gus Sanchez
Did you find the part number from mopar ?
I am in need of a new pin too.

So far I found a generic dowel kit for the 4.0 that has it . part # FKA1 by durabond.
I never found the part #. That kit looks like a winner though. I may just order it. It's only a matter of time before the motor mount punctures a hole in my filter connected directly to the block.
Old 05-08-2016, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by L2daGee
I never found the part #. That kit looks like a winner though. I may just order it. It's only a matter of time before the motor mount punctures a hole in my filter connected directly to the block.
I am rebuilding my 4.0 . I layed the engine on the wrong side from the machine shop and bent the pin . When. I try'd to straightened it , it snapped.
I was going to to do the elbow delete. Looks like it would clear ,but reading your post worried me.
Can You post a picture of the clearance issue with a full size filter ?

Old 05-08-2016, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Gus Sanchez
I am rebuilding my 4.0 . I layed the engine on the wrong side from the machine shop and bent the pin . When. I try'd to straightened it , it snapped.
I was going to to do the elbow delete. Looks like it would clear ,but reading your post worried me.
Can You post a picture of the clearance issue with a full size filter ?

There's maybe 1/16" clearance around a full size filter. The filter actually scrapes against the motor mount until it's screwed in all the way as you can tell from the scrapes on my filter.

Old 05-12-2016, 07:12 AM

Went to dealer and they couldn't find a part number.
Old 05-12-2016, 09:59 AM

Gus:

DO NOT eliminate the adapter.

Gee, measure the hole. Go to the hardware store and get a roll pin, or just leave it out. I'll bet it's on there for ease of assembly at the engine plant anyway.
Old 05-12-2016, 10:38 AM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

I don't think it matters all that much. I somehow put my OFA on crooked when I changed the gaskets, and when I realized and tried to back that stupid torx bolt back out, it started stripping on me.

I decided to just tighten it up because I had to be drivable in the morning (was supposed to be a quick oil change and gasket change after work). Doesn't leak a drop after ~15,000 miles so I assume its not all that bad.

Just do your best to get the oil-filter-adapter back on as parallel as you can, as mine has the filter pointing down which is going to cause at least a little oil to drain out of the filter, even with a good anti-drainback valve.
Old 05-12-2016, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by investinwaffles
I don't think it matters all that much. I somehow put my OFA on crooked when I changed the gaskets, and when I realized and tried to back that stupid torx bolt back out, it started stripping on me.

I decided to just tighten it up because I had to be drivable in the morning (was supposed to be a quick oil change and gasket change after work). Doesn't leak a drop after ~15,000 miles so I assume its not all that bad.

Just do your best to get the oil-filter-adapter back on as parallel as you can, as mine has the filter pointing down which is going to cause at least a little oil to drain out of the filter, even with a good anti-drainback valve.
Geez, a real life experience shared instead of a bunch of conjecture. Thanks for bringing some sanity to this thread!!!
Old 05-12-2016, 03:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by cruiser54
Geez, a real life experience shared instead of a bunch of conjecture. Thanks for bringing some sanity to this thread!!!
Lol,
I actually was quite nervous that the roll pin would prevent the OFA from seating properly, but the OFA simply rotated ~20 degrees "up" (so the filter is at an upwards angle with the threads pointing down), and the roll pin cleared the actual mating surface so it did not affect contact;

http://go.jeep-xj.info/OilAdaptor%20007.jpg

The only real PITA part is that if I actually want to fix it, I need to cut the OFA and bolt off which is not going to be fun with the motor in the jeep
Old 12-10-2017, 08:59 PM

Year: '99
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6

Originally Posted by L2daGee

Did you ever get that roll pin? I am trying to figure out what size it is. I believe 3/16" x 1.5" ??

I can't remember because I am not in my garage right now, but I measured the empty hole on my TJ and added the length of the pin sticking out of the hole on my XJ block ( I used a zip tie to estimate lenght)- I am switching the TJ motor into my XJ and am running with the adapter - I wan to say it was 1.5" but either way it matched the length of the roll pin I got from lowes. The pin in the bock is a super tight fit and I am too chicken **** to tap it in.

Considering just not installing it and seeing if it stays put on it's own.

Let me know. If I could confirm the correct size, I would install it.

Last edited by jdpitre89; 12-10-2017 at 09:08 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil Filter Adapter - roll pin part number?