Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pls allow me to beat a dead horse by asking a steering question

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 02:09 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Pls allow me to beat a dead horse by asking a steering question

First let me say:

I apologize. I know it's a tired subject.

Yes, I've googled the hell out of it.

Yes, I've youtubed the hell out of it.

Yep, searched the forums too!

Here's the problem:

Our 2001 with 165k on the odometer has developed about 5-6" of play in the wheel, with random PSF blows and one boil over.

Driving on the highway is an exercise that'll make you sweat like missing the last church service before Judgement Day. The steering gearbox and pump are OEM from when we bought it new. Yeah, they're worn out.

Currently, Serenity (our XJ) has the Rusty's 6.5" HC Long Arm full kit with a host of other goodies. It has a BEEFY cross piece that goes a long way to stiffening the whole frame/unibody/whatever you want to call it , but that sits back under the transmission.

As far as the steering related stuff goes, she has the 3" drop pitman arm, HD track bar with HD drop bracket, steering stabilizer, and frame brace. HD tie rod, new TRE's, new drag link.

Riding on 33" BF Goodrich KM2s mounted on 15" steel wheels. NO plans on going bigger anytime soon.

Once I replace the steering gearbox and pump I'm installing the new steering box brace from Rusty's. I'll also be replacing all 4 shocks and the stabilizer at the same time.

I've read so much about upgrading the gearbox and pump that I've succeeded in confusing the hell out of myself. I've yet to find a good write up on switching to the Durango or YJ gearbox that runs start to finish so I can tell if it's something I can do.

My google-fu and youtube-fu have failed me.

Reviews vary wildly from those mods being the best thing since sliced bread to wrecking the Jeep. Allot of them gloss over stuff and mention welding. Some mention custom brackets or stacking washers to space the box correctly.

I can't weld, BTW

I also cannot seem to find a NEW steering gearbox for the XJ. Jeep says they can't even order one. Reviews for all the re-manufactured ones out there are not comforting. That seems to be a crap shoot. Sometimes you get a good one, sometimes you don't. Sometimes you get 2 or 3 bad ones in a row that end up smoking that new pump you installed.

Everything on Rockauto is reman, as is the stuff at NAPA. I've already been warned away from autozone AND advance auto by too many guys who say they got 2 or more bad boxes in a row from them.

I've reached the point where I just need the thing to be nice, tight, and predictable so my wife can drive it on days when I need to use the truck. Currently, it scares the crap out of me and I let her drive it a short distance because she really didn't appreciate how bad it's gotten. She won't get back in it except to go to the pond on the back of our property.

So what am I asking?

Can anyone recommend:

A good source for a new, plug and play, bolt in without mods XJ steering gear box?

A good source for a QUALITY re-manufactured steering gear box?

A good source for a QUALITY, plug and play, bolt in without mods power steering pump? Read something about using the pump from a grand cherokee, but they weren't specific about the year/model designation they used.

Reaching out for wisdom from the XJ Sages
Old 12-13-2016, 02:38 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

A lot of people like the Durango box (1999). You can have napa order 2-3 of them so you can inspect them. Find the one with the least amount of play and buy that one. Same applies with a reman XJ box if you go that route.

As far as installing, the durango box is a direct bolt in. Get an aftermarket steering box spacer to replace the junk stock aluminum one.

This thread should help.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/du...-upgrade-3805/
Old 12-14-2016, 07:30 AM
CF Veteran

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Year: 1990

^ditto. 99 durango swap. it takes about 2.5 hours if you stop for beer and pizza
Old 12-14-2016, 07:52 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 98
Engine: 6 cyl.

spend the money ,get a PSC box you will be glad. dont buy a AGR box.
Old 12-14-2016, 09:27 AM
Caracticus Potts The Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee

Originally Posted by LACK
A lot of people like the Durango box (1999). You can have napa order 2-3 of them so you can inspect them. Find the one with the least amount of play and buy that one. Same applies with a reman XJ box if you go that route.

As far as installing, the durango box is a direct bolt in. Get an aftermarket steering box spacer to replace the junk stock aluminum one.

This thread should help.

you know, they are adjustable
Old 12-14-2016, 02:33 PM
Seasoned Member

This thread should help.

Originally Posted by WyoCherokee
^ditto. 99 durango swap. it takes about 2.5 hours if you stop for beer and pizza
Thanks for the information!

Just got off the phone with C-Rok regarding the spacer plate they sell. They advise the ONLY mod that would need to be done is to drill out the holes in the Durango box to 5/8', to accept part of the bolt sleeve.

Since the pump is shot as well, will I need to upgrade the pump to handle the beefier Durango box?

Last edited by restoring; 12-14-2016 at 03:00 PM.
Old 12-14-2016, 02:36 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by srb53150
spend the money ,get a PSC box you will be glad. dont buy a AGR box.
Don't have that kind of $ available. I'll be stretching it hard to cover even a basic OEM level repair. If I ever decide to change out the Dana 30 for a bigger axle then I will probably look at upgrading to a much more powerful gearbox and pump as I would also drastically increase tire size.

For now however, just need Serenity to be reliable, tight, and comfortable for my wife to drive.
Old 12-14-2016, 02:57 PM
Seasoned Member

Crap- Just got off the phone with Nick at Rockauto.com

He advised that if I want the $105.00 core deposit back, I must send back a Durango core. I cannot send back the OEM gearbox core that I am taking off the Jeep.

I get it, but I've seen where others didn't have a problem doing this with Rockauto.com and it adds $105 to the cost of fixing Serenity.
Old 12-14-2016, 03:32 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.6 I6

Originally Posted by restoring
Crap- Just got off the phone with Nick at Rockauto.com

He advised that if I want the $105.00 core deposit back, I must send back a Durango core. I cannot send back the OEM gearbox core that I am taking off the Jeep.

I get it, but I've seen where others didn't have a problem doing this with Rockauto.com and it adds $105 to the cost of fixing Serenity.
Those people probably sent in an XJ box and didn't tell the Rock auto guys that it wasn't a Durango box.
Old 12-15-2016, 12:11 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Willys55
?
Old 12-15-2016, 12:21 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Willys55
Yes, but not all rebuilds are created equal.

?
Old 12-15-2016, 07:23 AM
THE Admin

Received 231 Likes on 187 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.Slow

Originally Posted by shooptube
Those people probably sent in an XJ box and didn't tell the Rock auto guys that it wasn't a Durango box.
Bingo!!
Old 12-19-2016, 01:43 PM
Seasoned Member

Yes, but not all rebuilds are created equal.
Cool beans - didn't know that the gearbox could be "tightened" like that.

Since I need to replace the Power Steering Pump as well, should I be "upgrading" that to compensate for the Durango gearbox?
Old 12-19-2016, 02:22 PM
Seasoned Member

Default Pulled the trigger

Just finished ordering a Durango gearbox and a HD Pitman Arm Puller.

Also ordered the C-ROK Cherokee XJ Durango Steering Box Spacer Plate.

Now need to find a good Power Steering Pump (with reservoir). The stock pump started having issues fairly soon after lifting Serenity and putting the 33" KM2's on so I'm thinking since I'm adding more resistance with the beefier gearbox I should go ahead and see if there is a plug and play upgrade for that as well.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by restoring; 12-19-2016 at 02:32 PM.
Old 12-19-2016, 05:14 PM
CF Veteran

Just finished ordering a Durango gearbox and a HD Pitman Arm Puller.

Also ordered the C-ROK Cherokee XJ Durango Steering Box Spacer Plate.

Now need to find a good Power Steering Pump (with reservoir). The stock pump started having issues fairly soon after lifting Serenity and putting the 33" KM2's on so I'm thinking since I'm adding more resistance with the beefier gearbox I should go ahead and see if there is a plug and play upgrade for that as well.

Any suggestions?
From what i understand 2001' 4.7L Grand Cherokee runs a pump VERY similar to an XJ. The pump bolts right on with just changing the fitting for the high pressure line. Then a plug must be put on the extra return line.

Theres some threads out there about it.