Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plans to finish my BB with some steering/suspension stuff. Help?

Old 10-28-2012, 04:08 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: Straight 6
Question Plans to finish my BB with some steering/suspension stuff. Help?

I've got a budget boost right now, 2 inch coil spacers in the front and an AAL in the back (was supposed to be 2 inches but it's closer to 3, I'd say 2.5 at the least). My leaf packs were in great shape and they gladly accepted the long AAL so please no bashing of the AAL, it's working for me.

My ultimate goal is 3-3.5 inches. If I can find 3 inch coils I'll go that route and ditch my spacers, or ZJ V8 upcountry coils with my spacers.

At that height I know an adjustable track bar is a good idea but my student loan payments start next month so is it necessary? How hard is it to drill a new hole and go the cheapo route? I've read a lot on this steering stuff but it just confuses me more, for some reason it just doesn't click in my head lol. I don't understand how or where to drill a new hole to help with the alignment of the axle. While I'm down there is there anything else I should or need to mess with? ZJ tie rod sounds good from what I've read.

Lastly, I'll do shocks and then bumpstop properly. Bilstein 5100s would be my first choice but not sure they're in the budget. I also know very little about shocks and am open to help and suggestions there as well.

Am I missing anything for a 3 or 3.5 inch lift? I think I'll keep my LCAs stock and just grind them down should they ever bind. Do I need drop brackets or should I try to find a JY swap that will improve the angle? Of course adjustable would be ideal but again, budget. I don't need any more clearance for tires and that's mostly all I see junkyard swaps accomplishing. Is there a way to improve the angle without drop brackets?

Thanks everybody.

Last edited by RememberTheMallamo; 10-28-2012 at 09:03 AM.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:54 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: i-6 4.0

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/b...fit-xj-847303/

That should help you a bit
Old 10-28-2012, 07:31 AM
Seasoned Member

Thanks, I've read through that many-a-times and I'm still left with the same questions. Except this time I did catch the posts about the ZJ V8 upcountry coils, might be tossing that idea out the window.

Trac bar, tie rod and LCA questions remain.

Last edited by RememberTheMallamo; 10-28-2012 at 09:04 AM.
Old 10-28-2012, 12:37 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by RememberTheMallamo
Thanks, I've read through that many-a-times and I'm still left with the same questions. Except this time I did catch the posts about the ZJ V8 upcountry coils, might be tossing that idea out the window.

Trac bar, tie rod and LCA questions remain.
Track bar is fine for 3
Tie rod is okay for 3 but the tie rods do sometimes bend when trail rideing
And you stock controle arms should also be fine with 3

For reference I have a friend with 5" lift and all those things are stock
Old 10-28-2012, 02:56 PM
Seasoned Member

Oh wow, really? I thought the LCAs were at their limits around 3. How does his Jeep ride? Is his axle pulled to the driver side at all with that kind of lift on a stock track bar? I did find a really helpful picture diagramming all of the steering and front suspension components to help me figure it out but what I don't get is according to said picture, the track bar doesn't exactly have room past it's mounting point to drill a new hole. Am I missing something?
Old 10-28-2012, 04:28 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by RememberTheMallamo
Oh wow, really? I thought the LCAs were at their limits around 3. How does his Jeep ride? Is his axle pulled to the driver side at all with that kind of lift on a stock track bar? I did find a really helpful picture diagramming all of the steering and front suspension components to help me figure it out but what I don't get is according to said picture, the track bar doesn't exactly have room past it's mounting point to drill a new hole. Am I missing something?
Don't drill a new hole it will destroy the one you drill, and his rides good, it wasn't planed, he bought it like that and is working to fix things, and his axle is to the driver side by about 1/2 inch, yours will almost not move at all
Old 10-28-2012, 04:36 PM
Seasoned Member

Sweet thanks for your help man. I think if I can find a tie rod and hopefully zj up country coils I'll be good, thanks a bunch.