Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Pillar light brackets

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 01:38 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default A Pillar light brackets

Just figured that I would start a post about these and hopefully everything will turn out good.

March 18th I ordered a set of A Pillar light brackets from Ares Fabrication. Seemed like a good home grown business and I try to give my money to folks like that. Website said they were in stock and shipping. Good news.

March 25th I had not received them yet, so I called James Van Hoose. He picked up after just a few rings. I inquired about my order and after checking for a bit, he said that for some reason mine had not shipped with the other orders that he had, so he was going to ship out ASAP either that day or the next day.

April 2nd. I have not received them yet, so I called again to check on the status. I am a bit eager as I have a wheeling trip planned, some nice Hella lights, but no brackets to mount them to. James answered again very promptly and said that they (along with several others) had been lost by the US Mail during shipping and that he is shipping them again. He told me that he was not making really any money on them anyway.

I am not for sure what I was expected to reply to that last statement. If I buy a product, it is not my fault if the seller is making money hand over fist, or is using rent money to finance selling me the product. I just expect the product and as an added plus (not necessary, but helpful), maybe some communication about when my product may arrive, any delays etc.

I have my jeep budget set aside for May to purchase a front bumper. I REALLY like the Ares Fab front winch bumper, but am having second thoughts.

Has anyone else had dealings with Ares Fab? Am I alone and just the victim of a bad set of circumstances or is it something else?
Old 04-02-2014, 01:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder if this is the same Ares Fab that got raided by the ATF and FBI a while back over the LEGAL AR-15 lowers they build and sale.. Might explain some of their issues, if so.
Old 04-02-2014, 06:53 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001

Here's what happened when I cut my rear bumper open. I'd say 20oz. came out it's only a year old. I paid for the d-rings and receiver and never got the tie ins

A Pillar light brackets-forumrunner_20140402_184514.jpg
Old 04-02-2014, 07:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

Thats too bad, their Evolution front bumper looks frickin' sweet but it seems like alot of small shops are having customer service issues as of late.

I would give them the benefit of the doubt though (just how I tend to do things), they might be honest people with logistics issues after all.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:09 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

Try this shop excellent product materials, welds, strength, powder coating all prices include shipping. I have his rear Crawler Bumper/Swing Out Tire Carrier ($600) and could not be happier with it after 10 mo. of hard use.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:22 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
Try this shop excellent product materials, welds, strength, powder coating all prices include shipping. I have his rear Crawler Bumper/Swing Out Tire Carrier ($600) and could not be happier with it after 10 mo. of hard use.

Which shop?

By the way, it appears as if we are almost neighbors. I live in the Springfield area. Do you get out to SMORR often?
Old 04-03-2014, 03:19 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2001

Originally Posted by HYRYSC
Which shop?

By the way, it appears as if we are almost neighbors. I live in the Springfield area. Do you get out to SMORR often?
This is the one he was referring to.
http://www.roxolidtrailarmor.com/
Old 04-08-2014, 02:47 PM
Seasoned Member

Just in case anyone is interested in ordering anything from Ares Fabrication, you might want to reconsider.

It has been 3 weeks since I ordered the A Pillar light mounts that the website said were "In Stock and Shipping".

I have received zero communication from the seller (other than the paypal notification that he took my money). He has been quick to answer the phone, but only to tell me the first time that my order got overlooked and the second time to tell me that the shipment got lost and that he wasn't making any money on them anyway.

So I don't anticipate seeing the light mounts at all at this point.

I am just glad that I decided to order something small first instead of his $550 bumper.

Anyway, my .02 cents. YMMV
Old 04-10-2014, 11:54 PM

Default Ares fab

Wow I just had the same thing happen to me I bought a rear bumper and he said it was going to ship a week later it's lost and now he is telling me he has to build a new one !!! I think I'm getting scammed !!! This sucks I payed $800 bucks
Old 04-11-2014, 12:06 AM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 HO

these guys make a nice set as well

http://www.detoursusa.com/
Old 04-11-2014, 12:15 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000

The industry is full of one man wonder companies and Broken promises. A lot of them are spending customers money before attempting to fab anything. Don't wait if you find yourself in a similar situation. Demand a refund take all actions possible to get one.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:43 AM
Seasoned Member

UPDATE:
I received an email from PayPal (how I paid) that said that the mounts were shipped and that they will be arriving via regular mail on Saturday.

This is good news for sure, but my question that I asked myself was if I am getting this notification of shipping, why didn't I receive the previous one when he said that he had shipped them and they were lost?

I have mailed stuff before that had been lost, but I didn't know that it was lost until the person that I was mailing it to told me. I don't know how he would have known they were lost before I did.

My thinking is that he is probably a bit over his head, made a product that was popular, but that he didn't make much money on, and now is scrambling to cover.

I don't know that for a fact, just a thought.

I will post pics of the final product as I should have them mounted on Saturday.
Old 04-11-2014, 02:14 PM

Default Ares fab

Well I emailed them last night and told him that I had seen this happened to another guy On the Cherokee forum and he told me that he said it only happened once before he did not seem very happy I hope that I get my bumper like you did your brackets!!
Old 04-11-2014, 02:21 PM

Year: 1990
Engine: I6

Just an FYI guys, be careful with some of these no name places. I had a similiar experience with my lift kit from CSL off road. A bunch of guys gave me good advice on here. IT was an "in stock" item that says it ships in 48 hours. Well they took my money day 1 of course but took almost a month for me to recieve it after over 30 calls and emails. (Zero customer assistance)

The thing I found that gets them going is I filed a Fraud report on them with Visa and my bank. The moment they heard about this they were emailing everyday with updates and apologies.
Old 04-11-2014, 02:28 PM

Default Ares rear bumper

If I don't see it by next week I'm going to start trying to get my money back !!!

Quick Reply: A Pillar light brackets