Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Over the Knuckle Steering and Trackbars

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 09:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Liter H.O
Default Over the Knuckle Steering and Trackbars

I was able to pick up a lightly used Iron Rock Offroad over the knuckle steering upgrade for dirt cheap. While at the same time I had a new JKS HD adjustable track bar for free just laying around. I installed the steering but haven't gotten to the track bar yet. Reading around I see some people have run into clearance issues by going OTK. Does anyone have experience with the IRO setup? What type of track bar setup did you use? Keep in mind I'm pushing boundaries here already by running either upgrade on a 3" lift. I'm hoping that after I do the WJ power steering pump swap, durango box, and HD brace that it will a stout steering system for a small lift XJ.
Old 11-02-2015, 03:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L High Output

Originally Posted by SpacedOutXj
I was able to pick up a lightly used Iron Rock Offroad over the knuckle steering upgrade for dirt cheap. While at the same time I had a new JKS HD adjustable track bar for free just laying around. I installed the steering but haven't gotten to the track bar yet. Reading around I see some people have run into clearance issues by going OTK. Does anyone have experience with the IRO setup? What type of track bar setup did you use? Keep in mind I'm pushing boundaries here already by running either upgrade on a 3" lift. I'm hoping that after I do the WJ power steering pump swap, durango box, and HD brace that it will a stout steering system for a small lift XJ.
So dumb questions and google has not helped.

Is an OTK over kill or not a good idea for 3" of lift? Personally don't plan on going higher any time soon. I had plans on it but things change.

I am planning on upgrading my tie rod and thought that maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to do OTK. Seeing I already have a heavy duty track bar... Maybe upgrade everything else?
Old 11-02-2015, 05:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 01
Default Over the Knuckle Steering and Trackbars

Lots of folks relocate the track bar to the top of the axle for OTK steering. Sway bar mounts can sometimes be an issue also.

To the OP, at 3" I doubt that HD track bar is short enough to mount on top op the axle, but you might not necessarily need to relocate. I suppose just bolt it up and give it a shot. If you've got the parts there, may as well try it out.
Old 11-03-2015, 12:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 93 2 door
Engine: 4.0

sorry that no one answered your question from January OP. that Iron rock kit isn't much of an OTK kit since it keeps your drag link at about the same angle. so don't worry too much, just install that JKS track bar and if it's somewhat parallel with the drag link angle you'll be just fine

Originally Posted by Axel1831
So dumb questions and google has not helped.

Is an OTK over kill or not a good idea for 3" of lift? Personally don't plan on going higher any time soon. I had plans on it but things change.

I am planning on upgrading my tie rod and thought that maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to do OTK. Seeing I already have a heavy duty track bar... Maybe upgrade everything else?
it's an optional upgrade at that point since your lift height is perfectly fine for conventional Y-link. what are you wheeling? mild rocks? what tires? 33's? for that setup or less I would go ZJ tie rod hands down. it's a stout, cheap, effective upgrade that is easy to install. if you want a little bit of OTK in your setup you can order a go-fer-it tie rod flip kit. it raises up your tie rod a bit away from the rocks and improves angles. I ran it on my setup, it's an innovative little upgrade

http://www.goferitoffroad.com/products.htm