Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old Man Emu Lift Kits

Old 12-15-2014, 10:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 4.0L
Default Old Man Emu Lift Kits

Hi Ladies and Gents,

So I've been doing some serious research on lifts since I finally have the money to start purchasing things. I've been hearing great things about OME kits, and I'm trying to check out my options. I'm looking to do 3" or 3.5" (maybe even 4") and I want to run 31's. I've heard plenty of talk about these kits, but I can't find them anywhere. Can someone please pass me a link to where I can purchase and look at OME lift kit options? I know this sounds ignorant, but I've done the google searches, and I'm still not finding what I'm looking for.

Also, any experience with these lifts would be appreciated. My XJ is my DD and I drive 25 miles to and from work (mostly highway) Mon - Fri alone. I will be doing some trailing riding every couple weekends as well, but nothing too crazy (my XJ is my baby). I've been hearing that OME is a great kit for what I'd be using it for.

I'm trying to take my time and pick what will fit my needs. I was originally think RE 3.5" kit, but after hearing such good things about OME I'm leaning towards that. I've even seen people who currently have RE 3.5" kits post messages like, "I wish I would have done it right the first time and gone with an OME kit."

Lastly, I'm not worried about cost. I'm trying to make the best choice for my needs.

Really appreciate the feedback!
Old 12-15-2014, 11:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

I was looking at the same re 3.5 kit and was wondering about the ome kits also. Can't find much on the ome kits. A lot of people seem to like the RE 3.5 super flex kits so thats the one i am leaning towards.
Old 12-16-2014, 03:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 Liter I6 PowerTech

DPG off road has awesome OME lift kit packages. Here's a link. http://dpgoffroad.com/productcategor...cherokee-kits/
Old 12-16-2014, 06:27 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by R6BLUE03
I was looking at the same re 3.5 kit and was wondering about the ome kits also. Can't find much on the ome kits. A lot of people seem to like the RE 3.5 super flex kits so thats the one i am leaning towards.
Right, I hear ya on that. I don't know for sure myself, but from what I've heard, RE is a great kit. I just worry about the possible 5" you can get out of a 3.5" kit. With the more research I've done, it sounds like OME has great road manners, and considering that and the amount of road driving I'll do compared to offroading, it seems like a better fit. Also sounds like OME is more than capable offroad as well.

Originally Posted by GreenXJ98
DPG off road has awesome OME lift kit packages. Here's a link. http://dpgoffroad.com/productcategor...cherokee-kits/
Thanks, Green! That's what I was looking for! Is DGP a reputable supplier?

Do you happen to have any experience with OME? Or know anyone who does? I'm really leaning toward them now, and a few more opinions would be great! Not trying to start an RE vs. OME debate, just trying to cover all the bases.
Old 12-16-2014, 06:46 AM

Engine: 4.0L

Don't forget to check out Metal Cloak either. Their quality is higher than RE, and I would put them at even a notch above OME. Their 3.5 kit is super capable and they pride themselves on putting together comfortable suspensions that perform. They have proprietary technology such as their duroflex control arm ends that reduce noise and vibration transfer as well as flex better than a Johnny Joint. Also the kit comes with Deaver leaf spring which are the best out there. Very high quality stuff and they stand behind their product. I suggest giving them some consideration.

http://www.metalcloak.com/XJ-Jeep-Ch...Kits-s/282.htm
Old 12-16-2014, 09:33 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Hopkins
Don't forget to check out Metal Cloak either. Their quality is higher than RE, and I would put them at even a notch above OME. Their 3.5 kit is super capable and they pride themselves on putting together comfortable suspensions that perform. They have proprietary technology such as their duroflex control arm ends that reduce noise and vibration transfer as well as flex better than a Johnny Joint. Also the kit comes with Deaver leaf spring which are the best out there. Very high quality stuff and they stand behind their product. I suggest giving them some consideration.

http://www.metalcloak.com/XJ-Jeep-Ch...Kits-s/282.htm
I'll look into this too. Not sure I'm too worried about the extra flex since I won't be doing too much offroading. But, that being said, if the price difference isn't much a difference, it might be worth getting it for the extra flex I would get out of this kit. Mostly worried about road manners as like 85 to 90% will be road driving. I definitely want to get it up in the air though as I'm sure once it's lifted, offroading might turn out to be more frequent than expected.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:28 PM

DPG is a really reputable company. They have great customer service, they know a lot about what they sell, and they are really nice people. I've only bought a few small things from them, but I plan on buying more.
Old 12-16-2014, 02:13 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by GreenXJ98
DPG is a really reputable company. They have great customer service, they know a lot about what they sell, and they are really nice people. I've only bought a few small things from them, but I plan on buying more.
I have honestly already seen the great customer service. I sent them a small email to slowly get things rolling and they got back to me within a half hour. So they are off to a great start.

OME sounds like the way to go. I've been able to find a couple OME kits (3 & 3.5 inches) with 31's and something about them just looks better than the rest. I'm not sure if it's because I'm leaning that way, but it doesn't seem like you can go wrong with an OME kit. Everyone has great things to say about them too, so that is a big help!

Appreciate the feedback guys! Hope to get a few more hits on this, as I'd like to hear some peoples experience with their OME kits.
Old 12-16-2014, 03:48 PM

I have an OME lift (well mostly OME) and it is amazing. The ride is unreal and the springs are high quality, especially the leaf springs.

I had a 3.5" Rubicon Express lift with Bilstein 5100s on my previous XJ and the ride was rock hard. It was still really great quality but the ride was not even close to OME.
Old 12-16-2014, 04:15 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by XJEvo
I have an OME lift (well mostly OME) and it is amazing. The ride is unreal and the springs are high quality, especially the leaf springs.
What size kit did you go with?

Originally Posted by XJEvo
I had a 3.5" Rubicon Express lift with Bilstein 5100s on my previous XJ and the ride was rock hard. It was still really great quality but the ride was not even close to OME.
This is what I keep hearing... and considering the DD factor, OME is becoming more and more the route I want to go for what I'll be using it for. Not to mention it sounds like a great kit to add onto if in the future.

The thing I like most about OME so far while doing my searching is that everyone who runs OME describes it as, "great, amazing, awesome, etc." How can you go wrong when that's what you hear all the time?
Old 12-16-2014, 04:21 PM

As far as I understand, OME tries to make lifts that will still feel like a stock ride. They aren't too stiff, or too bouncy. They're kinda perfect for a daily driver. If the price wasn't so high, I would've gone with a hybrid OME kit from DPG off road. My budget forced me to settle with Rusty's off road, but I'm pretty happy with my suspension setup.
Old 12-16-2014, 04:24 PM

Engine: HO 4.0

I would have to say go with RE. Parts still made here in USA, and easy to find.

If you are having a hard time just finding the OME kit then you will probably have a hard time finding replacement parts down the road as well.

My lady has a 3.5 RE lift with full leaf spring pack and it is b!tchin'. Great ride on-road and VERY capable off road.

RE, you get a great product, solid lift kit, and you are buying American! Being from Michigan, I would imagine that would matter a little bit?
Old 12-16-2014, 06:17 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 98
Engine: 6 cyl.

i too went w/ the ome kit from dpg , im very happy w/ it. i wanted a 4" lift w/ a stock type ride & thats what i got. they sold me all the parts for the lift to be done right, only thing i did after the lift was hack n tap sye & rear cv type ds to smooth out some vibes. great kit for 31's w/ stock flares.
Old 12-16-2014, 06:19 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by xjcherokee2000
I would have to say go with RE. Parts still made here in USA, and easy to find.

If you are having a hard time just finding the OME kit then you will probably have a hard time finding replacement parts down the road as well.

My lady has a 3.5 RE lift with full leaf spring pack and it is b!tchin'. Great ride on-road and VERY capable off road.

RE, you get a great product, solid lift kit, and you are buying American! Being from Michigan, I would imagine that would matter a little bit?
You would be right, that does matter. My main concern with RE is the fact that a lot of people are getting around 4.5" of lift, and I'm not looking for that much. That being said, I have not ruled it out as I've heard great things about it as well.

DPG (like Green pointed out) has been very helpful already. I plan on contacting Dirk from there tomorrow to discuss my possible setup.

I was able to find replacement parts easy as well. That's what I was finding to begin with, and it got me wondering where I could find the kits. It's a "hybrid" kit. Mainly OME suspension parts, but paired with other great quality parts that makes a solid comfortable on-road ride and is still very capable off-road.
Old 12-16-2014, 07:21 PM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

RE's 3.5" coils are very stiff. Gave me around 4.25" lift up front. Would not recommend for a stock daily driver, with the weight of a winch and bumper I'm sure they're a lot nicer.

Especially with commuting, remember the higher you go the worse fuel economy you'll get. 2.5"-3" OME real ride height versus 4.5" RE effective ride height is a pretty big difference. Also as aluded to more things change; at 2" and 3" you can get away with a lot of stock stuff but around 4.5" lift you almost need to do control arms and steering.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Old Man Emu Lift Kits