Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Pan Removal

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 01:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Default Oil Pan Removal

Well, I've read every one of the hundreds of threads regarding this subject but I'm still getting no love with getting this thing out.
Truck is a '99 XJ with a 3" lift. I have removed starter, steering dampener, stabilizer bar, jacked it up with the tires hanging but can't get the pan out past the transmission. Some folks suggested jacking it up by the axle and I tried that too..
The only thing left is jacking up the transmission but I don't want to risk tearing a new rubber motor mount.
Anyone else have any tricks to share before I go the transmission route?
Old 12-04-2017, 04:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 97
Engine: 4.0

I just did an in frame on mine and I had to hang the front axle, undo the shocks and take a small 6 ton jack and lift the left side after that motor mount was undone to actually clear the pan.
Old 12-04-2017, 05:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 374 Likes on 294 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

I helped my buddy drop his pan 3 times recently. He has a 3" lift as well. We only had to pull the starter and jack the body up on one side a few inches. The pan pretty much fell out at that point. Is the pickup tube causing all the problems or something else? If its an auto, having someone hold the trans lines up and out of the way helps too.
Old 12-04-2017, 06:56 PM

It’s an auto. From what I can tell either the axel needs to be an inch lower or the trans bell housing needs to go up an inch so that the pan can slide past it.
Its not hanging on the pickup tube from what I can tell.
Old 12-04-2017, 09:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L

Lowering the axle would be better than raising the transmission. Disconnect stuff till the axle is low enough; sway bar, shocks, and brake lines if needed. If it doesn't work from there try to jack the axle away from the body while the axle is hung under the body to cheat just a little bit more. You should be able to get it.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(SJ)

OP, if you are still fighting this pan I have a little insight. I just did this myself and it was a bear. I have a 98 with 2" lift and Aw4. To get the clearance for the oil pan I had to do all of the following:

-Jack up jeep, place on stands under front doors
-Remove tires
​​​​​​-Remove shock bolts for axel droop.
-Remove sway bar links
​​​​-Remove steering stabilizer
-Disconnect the battery
-Remove the starter.
-Attach cherry picker to the engine head bolts, then remove the motor mount bolts, and lift the engine in the bay.

The last one was the key to getting the pan back in place easily without damaging the gasket or plastic 1/2 pan holders. It is a lot of prep but made it worth not fighting the pan for 2hrs like previous replacement.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:13 AM

The shocks were the magic bullet. I unhooked them wich let the axel drop more and the pan came out.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:38 AM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 97
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Capital_G
The shocks were the magic bullet. I unhooked them wich let the axel drop more and the pan came out.
Yep. Good deal.