Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

noob seeking advice and validation

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 10:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default noob seeking advice and validation

under 2wd I think
dual sporting near truckhaven... ocotillio wells ca
when I rolled up onto her to check out and purchase
hey all ..
I have posted here or once before and was granted great advice for my low beams not working, and to the gentleman that gave it to me I sincerely appriciate it.. turns out the headlights were both bad.. anyhoo...
I am about to put a put together lift on my 96 sport 2dr 4.0 aw4 w/ 231 tc.. So far I have aquired 3inch leaf packs (they seem hq with the rubber deals between the leafs and all), some Rancho 2 inch coil springs, and 2 inch spacers (impulse click-not sure if they are needed or even safe to run - have a story bout a buddies spacers...), and Falken at tires on 15 inch rims. the tires are almost 30 inches tall and 9.5 wide I believe. On the way are some red bushings to match the red boot stripe my jeep has and Bilstien 5100 shocks and the u bolts and a ss brake line set that is 4 inches longer than stock, and an adjustable track bar for a size lift I'm attempting to install. So... should I do a sye trick on her or will a bit of a tc drop be cool for a while while I recover financially? And will a front drive shaft be a good idea now or later? How about a shim to help out with the angles of either axle? Rear axle is the Chrysler 8.25 btw.. I went to the local jy to try to secure one and I found what looked like ine under the only xj in the yard but It was a 2wd... kinda wierd .. I will try to post the picture of it .. .. along with a before picture of White Thunder (thats what the folks that I bought her from called her and they specifically asked me to keep her name - from being around sailboats for a while Im superstitious about changing names)... sooo. what say the wise gurus on here ?? any advice is welcome along with biting comments and criticisms... my skin is thick like elephants. thanks !!

Last edited by Sloerolla; 01-02-2018 at 10:54 AM. Reason: pics
Old 01-02-2018, 01:45 PM

First of all, don't install 2" spacers on 2" aftermarket coils...may cause "coil bind" and trash your springs. 3/4"-1" should be the limit for a leveling spacer.

Secondly, for a 3" lift you should only need to drop the crossmember down about 1/4-1/2"...no need for a for 1" T/C drop.
Old 01-02-2018, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by SexyDexy
First of all, don't install 2" spacers on 2" aftermarket coils...may cause "coil bind" and trash your springs. 3/4"-1" should be the limit for a leveling spacer.

Secondly, for a 3" lift you should only need to drop the crossmember down about 1/4-1/2"...no need for a for 1" T/C drop.
thanks! i should have been more clear. the spacers are for the wheels to compensate for lack of back spacing on the rims. sorry bout that. thanks for the reply SexyDexy
Old 01-02-2018, 05:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Sloerolla
thanks! i should have been more clear. the spacers are for the wheels to compensate for lack of back spacing on the rims. sorry bout that. thanks for the reply SexyDexy
no no no...don't do that either haha...2 inch spacers are excessive and dangerous..1.5 inches is the max I would do, and I don't like spacers that much..how many did you buy? You probably won't need them, but if you do want a wider look you could have gotten aftermarket wheels with the backspaceing you want for the same price, if not cheaper
Old 01-02-2018, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Martlor13
no no no...don't do that either haha...2 inch spacers are excessive and dangerous..1.5 inches is the max I would do, and I don't like spacers that much..how many did you buy? You probably won't need them, but if you do want a wider look you could have gotten aftermarket wheels with the backspaceing you want for the same price, if not cheaper
Thanks also. Im not too keen on the spacers after my buddy had a near disaster experience with his.. Mine were purchased before this said disaster and now they may be returned or turned into art. My tires are mounted to a set of kinda cool rims I found around town so I will pray for a miracle fit or buy the priper set of steel rims my buddy bought.. Thanks Martlor.