Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Seeking advice, buying first jeep. Is this a good purchase?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 06:46 AM
Registered Users

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Seeking advice, buying first jeep. Is this a good purchase?

I'm looking at a 1988 Jeep cherokee 4X4. It has a 5 speed, which I believe is the peugeot and a NP231. Its got 198k, which isn't a big worry. Its been converted to the "open" cooling system. And the paint is decent, a little oxidized but not fading or chipping which is nice. Was parked in a garage for the last 6 years. The material on the rockers was/is being removed & thats why it looks messed up. The interiors actually really nice for its age, few stains but no rips or tears & the seats feel nice & stiff, as if they were brand new. Headliners been taken off as it was sagging. Its got a decent head unit but stock speakers. Its also got 30x9.5 BFG AT's which look almost brand spanking new. Also has a decent exhaust, flowmaster with a turn down just before the rear axle.
The guy selling it is looking for $1900 because of recent repairs & upgrades. The cooling system & brakes & such. I got him down to around $1500 right now & he may go lower depending on registration. It was last registered in New Mexico? & hasn't been registered since Dec 31. 2010, so we have to find out what the fees will be.

Heres the add to the vehicle.
http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/2494607415.html

Anyone think its a decent buy for a first car for a 19 year old, any tips on getting him lower on the price? Anything I should check/double check? Advice & pointers? Main or common problems with the renix's?
I will be checking for rust but I don't know if I'll find any as its been in the desert most of its life. It was in New Mexico before and is in California now. I'm hoping I don't find any! Not sure how New Mexico with rain/water & such.

Last edited by Kamaran; 07-18-2011 at 06:48 AM.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:10 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 L

I think it looks to be a good deal for 1,500. As long as it starts and runs good. Also make sure the 4 wheel drive works in high and low (if it has that). I have looked at several that wouldn't stay in 4x4 or would grind real bad when going into 4x4. Stay away from that crap. That being said...if it does all that then go for it...it looks descent and it has a lot of potential. Good luck and hopefully some one will chime in with there $.02.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:05 AM
☠ CF Sheriff ☠

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L HO I-6, 703 Injectors, Brown Dog Super Engine Mounts

that tranny is a piece of crap, but can be swapped if it goes out. But the body looks like it's in great shape. Big thing to worry about with desert vehicles is dry rotted rubber parts (bushings, seals, dust boots, etc).

$1500 sounds a bit high for the year and condition. I'd talk him down to at least $1200.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:10 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Originally Posted by dukie564
that tranny is a piece of crap, but can be swapped if it goes out. But the body looks like it's in great shape. Big thing to worry about with desert vehicles is dry rotted rubber parts (bushings, seals, dust boots, etc).

$1500 sounds a bit high for the year and condition. I'd talk him down to at least $1200.
Freegdr and I both have that trans. I beat the hell out of my rig, he's had his for a long time. We've been ok with the BA-5/10.

They aren't the best, but they aren't the worst.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:33 AM
Registered Users

This will be my very own first jeep. Theres 3 xj's that friends have. All are into Jeepspeed. I have a Ax-15 & np231 with around 116k on it from a friend jeep. He converted to 2wd, & its sitting here so I'm sure I can swap that in. Not new to Xj's, just never had one of my own lol.

Also on Craigslist I just found a 4x4 auto being parted, with a C8.25 & D30 with 3.55's for a nice upgrade in gears. The jeep I'll be looking at has 3.07 cause its manual & a D35. So for another 200 I'll get drop in axles & better gears. The 3.55's should be more than enough for 31's & the manual trans.
I'm gonna call DMV here & check out the registration fees. I was up all night because I'm super excited...I have another 30 minutes to wait before I can even call
I just want a jeep of my own lol.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:35 AM
Seasoned Member

Engine: ERH 4.0L 16 Power Tech

Head and gasket replacement may mean bearing damage from water in the oil. Then there is the smog cert. that can be expensive. If the owner can get it to pass and you can get it for $1,000-$1,200 I'd say go for it. Otherwise look for one with fewer miles and a good smog cert.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:44 AM
Registered Users

Ya I believe the law in Ca state the seller must smog the car before selling or tranfering. It has to have a valid cert before its sold or transfered. If hes not cool with that then I'll walk away!
We will see what its got for fees & such and the go from there. I got another 15 minutes to go.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:00 AM
☠ CF Sheriff ☠

Yes that is true - the seller is required to smog it before selling it.

The only way around it is to sell it as a PNO (Planned Non-Operative), meaning you would have to tow it home, fix it up, then smog it to get it out of PNO status. Not worth the trouble IMO.

If he won't smog it like he's required to by law, walk away.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:42 AM
Registered Users

Ok good news so far. Theres no fees on it at all. I'll just pay taxes on sales price & transfer fee of $15.
But it has to be smogged which is $78 and from the sounds of it he plans to have me do it. So when I get there if thats the case, then I'll tell him he can have $1400 for the car & I'll pay for it to be smogged. Or he can get $1500 and smog it himself. His choice.
If he choices neither then I'll walk away.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:22 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Kamaran
Ok good news so far. Theres no fees on it at all. I'll just pay taxes on sales price & transfer fee of $15.
But it has to be smogged which is $78 and from the sounds of it he plans to have me do it. So when I get there if thats the case, then I'll tell him he can have $1400 for the car & I'll pay for it to be smogged. Or he can get $1500 and smog it himself. His choice.
I still think it's too much money...especially if you do the smog. There could be multiple problems costing lots of money to repair. YMMV
Old 07-18-2011, 11:57 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by Kamaran
Have him smog it.. trust me. IMHO its not worth the trouble if it doesnt pass once youve dropped $1400 bucks on it, then your stuck with something you can't register and don't know how much you'll pay to make it pass.

If he can't adbide by cali law, walk and find another cherokee. There is a lot of them out there
Old 07-19-2011, 08:05 AM
☠ CF Sheriff ☠

^^^ totally agree
Old 07-19-2011, 08:20 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: i6 HO

I also agree have him smog it before the transfer
Also just do the general check body,shifting listen to the motor etc and good luck on the Jeep!
Old 07-24-2011, 04:52 AM
Registered Users

Well updates! I got carried away and bought it and I have to smog it.. I love it to death but we've already got a love/hate relationship. I only jumped at it because the paints decent & the interior is godly clean, minus the headliner! Probably was reapolstered but thats fine by me. It seriorly looks like its off the showroom floor on the inside!
Anyway I payed $1600 for it, with a 1000W sony xplode amp, CB, PA & firestick included. It was $1400 without that stuff. I sold the amp for $125, so I made a few bucks back.
Total into the jeep: $1475
Then I took it to get it smogged, theres another $50. It didn't pass, its actually failed horribly! Then I someone posted a link & I looked up the vin. It showed the guy tryed to smog it on the 16 of June & it failed. Guess he didn't want to deal with it. Anyway I took her home, installed the CB,PA & made a mount for the firestick. I also had a new review mirror that tells direction & temp, so I installed that as well.
Next I went & got everything for a tune up, as the guy said it sat for 6+ months. I payed $160 & change for that. I also seafoamed her before & after the tune up..I also cleaned the C101 conector & got rid of my 2500rpm idle lol.
Total into the jeep:$1700

The next day I go to my GF's little sisters baseball game. When it was over I started the jeep & it didn't sound right. Sound like a wrench was thrown between the starter & flywheel. So I limp her home nice & easy, and look around. Find nothing but the broken trans & motor mounts.
Tryed to order a new one from autozone, but I've got the peugeot trans & when I got it looked nothing like the old one & wouldn't work. I also ordered some Ironman 4x4 motor mounts for about $100.
Anyway that same night I reinstall the crossmember with the broken trans mount since the one I got didn't work. I got to the jeep dealership & order the mount. On the way back about a block from home something goes bad in the trans..heard a pop & wouldn't let me shift. I shut her down for about 10 minutes and start her up. Upon starting I hear metal slinking & clanking in the bell housing. I thought it was the slave or something...turns out my clutch exploded!!! Literally into pieces (check my build thread for pictures)
So now its sitting in my driveway waiting until I get my 96 ax-15 2wd trans...yes 2wd!
Plans were a mild 3" & 31's with trimmed fenders, but now I plan on 5" & 33x10.5's! I'm turning her into a jeepspeed style rig thats still my DD. All I have is desert anyway & like to go out & watch/play at the races. Basically copy my buddies build, hes done the same thing I'm doing!
I'll actually make money this way to. I have a buyer for my D30 lined up for $150. Trans & tranfer are going for $500 to some trans shop that deals with jeeps alot. And the driveshafts are pending sale for $75 for both.
I'm buying my ax-15 for $400 & the guy threw in 2 2wd beams! What a deal!

So if all fairs wells...
Total into the jeep:$1700+$100-$350= $1450. Oh plus $45 for my waggy tails that should be here sometime this week.
So $1500 for a 2wd jeep with perfect interior & fresh tune up, with waggy tails, & a CB/PA system!

i have to redo my exhaust since the bozo welded a 40 series up & it was rubbing my driveshaft, & the spipe/downpipe has a crack.
I'll be doing a 2.5" collector welded to the header, 2.5" downpipe, highflow cat & the 40 series dumped in front of the rear axle! It'll also be wrapped with titanium header wrap which was ordered tonight!

Also looking at picking up a Ford 8.8 with 4.11s & a LS that already has the tubes welded, with a simple truss over the top as well...all that for $150! Things are starting to look up for the little red xj that could!

Last edited by Kamaran; 07-24-2011 at 04:56 AM.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:10 AM
Seasoned Member

Default Attitude

Dude! Great attitude regarding the Jeep and the problems encountered thus far. You and your Cherokee will be fast friends!