Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new xj input welcome

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 05:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default new xj input welcome

just bought a black stock 99 xj 4dr with the 4.0. spending 4-5k on mods, have a good list setup just wondering what ur guys suggetions are before i start ordering a grocery list of parts.

4.5in rc long arm lift kit
33in tires
dual steering stabalizer
1.5in wheel spacers
rc sye
rc driveshaft
synergy balljoints
synergy inner/outer tierods
transfer case drop kit
iron rock double sheer adjustable track bar (heard the rc trackbar isnt that good)

also what are good ujoints i should use? any input would be appreciated and anything else i might be missing.
Old 08-11-2015, 08:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Engine: 4.0L I6

Dont mess with the stabilizers they are a waste of money.
Old 08-11-2015, 08:42 PM

Year: 01

Congrats!! Welcome to the forum and welcome to Jeep land. you've got a decent list going but there are tons of stuff to consider.

Are you dead set on all the RC stuff? They are cheap, but all in all, you get a cheap product. I'm actually friends with one of their financial officers. They are making a good attempt to start delivering a good product but I'm not really sure if they're there yet. That said, they do have good customer service and are made in the USA.

if you run 33 inch tires, you're going to need a gear change at both ends. just something to consider.

for that money, I'd just get a complete kit offered by some place like Rubicon Express, or maybe that new MetalCloak kit for the xj. It's the small things you're gonna overlook. bumpstops, longer brake lines etc. Those full kits get you so much stuff. The shocks match the lift height, as with track bars and control arms etc.

But it's your Jeep. Thats the beauty of it. your list looks pretty solid so far

It sounds like you've done some reading which is good. Keep it up. this place is a treasure trove of jeep info.
Old 08-11-2015, 09:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Compression test.
Old 08-11-2015, 11:24 PM

in all honesty im completly new at jeeps and lifting them. ive been in the honda game for 12 years now. i currently own 2, one is done up track car and the other is my daily driver, both are lowered obviously. i love them to death and are super fun but i want something more suited for my life style. im selling both hondas now and got the jeep for towing the boat and hunting and ice fishing, and something to have a little weekend fun in, but i want strong parts to keep it reliable.

i want the 4.5 in lift so it is something to daily drive but yet something to hit some trails in, im not deadset on rc though, just seems like they have what i was looking for. i am very mechanicly inclined so im not worried about the challenge. i know with the 4.5 and 33's id have to trim the fenders. ive heard bad things about rc track bar and i've also read about xj's and motor mount bolts breaking so i wanted to get brown dog mounts in the future. i want good recommendations on a 4.5in lift and durable parts i can trail with if need be. doing a fresh rebuild on the transfer case is something im going to do regardless while im in there.

i have done research but need opionions and a little help as i am new to the jeep and lifting. thanks for any help given, i appreciate greatly. also move if not in right section.
Old 08-11-2015, 11:36 PM
CF Veteran

If your willing to spend a little extra money I would look at the serious off-road 4.5 inch long arm kit. It has literally everything you would want as far as suspension and includes a sye to get rid of drive line vibes as well.
Old 08-11-2015, 11:47 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Originally Posted by mach3lude
in all honesty im completly new at jeeps and lifting them. ive been in the honda game for 12 years now. i currently own 2, one is done up track car and the other is my daily driver, both are lowered obviously. i love them to death and are super fun but i want something more suited for my life style. im selling both hondas now and got the jeep for towing the boat and hunting and ice fishing, and something to have a little weekend fun in, but i want strong parts to keep it reliable.

i want the 4.5 in lift so it is something to daily drive but yet something to hit some trails in, im not deadset on rc though, just seems like they have what i was looking for. i am very mechanicly inclined so im not worried about the challenge. i know with the 4.5 and 33's id have to trim the fenders. ive heard bad things about rc track bar and i've also read about xj's and motor mount bolts breaking so i wanted to get brown dog mounts in the future. i want good recommendations on a 4.5in lift and durable parts i can trail with if need be. doing a fresh rebuild on the transfer case is something im going to do regardless while im in there.

i have done research but need opionions and a little help as i am new to the jeep and lifting. thanks for any help given, i appreciate greatly. also move if not in right section.
RC lifts are hit and miss...some love, some hate. Personally I will never put another RC product on my jeep...you get what you pay for. What kind of wheeling are you looking to do? This will be a major factor as to what you need to upgrade. At 4.5" of lift, you have some things you need to address, like the SYE, extended lines, and if you're going that tall, then you'll want bigger tires, bigger tires mean gears to do it right, etc, etc...check out Serious Offroad's long arm kit, has everything in one shot, but don't let the price fool you. Quality components, all you need, stellar service from one of us, you really can't go wrong. Just one option, but one I highly recommend.
http://www.seriousoffroadproducts.co...Path=419_2040&
All you really need after that is gears, depending on how much tire you want to run. Hope this helps.
Old 08-11-2015, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by toasterknight
If your willing to spend a little extra money I would look at the serious off-road 4.5 inch long arm kit. It has literally everything you would want as far as suspension and includes a sye to get rid of drive line vibes as well.
Posted at the same time, and sound advice.

Buy quality, cry once.
Old 08-12-2015, 12:00 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by roninofako
Posted at the same time, and sound advice.

Buy quality, cry once.
Aint that the truth. I'm thing serious long arm kit with metal cloak 3.5 coils and acos pro in the front along with arb springs longer shackles and relocation in the rear for myself personally.
Old 08-12-2015, 12:01 AM

so if i wanted to run 33's with something like 4:56 gear ratio where do i get that or do i have to get a whole rear end out of some other vehicle for that?
Old 08-12-2015, 12:03 AM
CF Veteran

so if i wanted to run 33's with something like 4:56 gear ratio where do i get that or do i have to get a whole rear end out of some other vehicle for that?
You can get them rebuilt at a skilled shop. If you have them regeared your gonna want to get any lockers installed at the same time as its only parts cost. They are working on it already so that's nice.
Old 08-12-2015, 12:09 AM

RC lifts are hit and miss...some love, some hate. Personally I will never put another RC product on my jeep...you get what you pay for. What kind of wheeling are you looking to do? This will be a major factor as to what you need to upgrade. At 4.5" of lift, you have some things you need to address, like the SYE, extended lines, and if you're going that tall, then you'll want bigger tires, bigger tires mean gears to do it right, etc, etc...check out Serious Offroad's long arm kit, has everything in one shot, but don't let the price fool you. Quality components, all you need, stellar service from one of us, you really can't go wrong. Just one option, but one I highly recommend.
http://www.seriousoffroadproducts.co...Path=419_2040&
All you really need after that is gears, depending on how much tire you want to run. Hope this helps.

that does look like a really solid kit. the cost actually comes out to about the same as ordering rc's long arm kit for 1400 bucks and then adding all the other crap u need with it that it doesnt include.
Old 08-12-2015, 12:18 AM

that does look like a really solid kit. the cost actually comes out to about the same as ordering rc's long arm kit for 1400 bucks and then adding all the other crap u need with it that it doesnt include.
Yup. And his service is stellar. Dollar for dollar it is one of the best kits on the market, hands down.
Old 08-12-2015, 12:20 AM

With 33's you could get away with not re-gearing, but it will suffer some MPG loss as well as pickup. The reason for doing gears is to get you as close to stock setup as possible. I ran 35's on stock gears for a while, MPG's sucked, peppiness was not there. Installed my gears, it was like a whole new jeep.
Old 08-12-2015, 12:22 AM
CF Veteran

Yup. And his service is stellar. Dollar for dollar it is one of the best kits on the market, hands down.
I'm kinda surprised he hasn't shown up in this thread yet. He's a great guy and always here to help.

Quick Reply: new xj input welcome