Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New “Rough” Country Lift

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 01:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default New “Rough” Country Lift

Have 31 but they look extremely small so gotta sell them due to them being brand new. and get 32 or 33s hahah
So this weekend me and my dad installed the rough country lift kit I decided to go with 4.5 inch lift with full leaf packs. I understand it may be a little rough but I’m experiencing extreme roughy and bumy ride if I go over small pot hole or I’d the rode isn’t flat.... also I get a lot knocking noise ever once in awhile if I hit a bump. Any suggestions or what the problem could be? Also the lift turned out about 6 inches instead of 4. It’s also short arm lift.. any explanation for the extreme high with the lift also not big deal tho j
Old 10-25-2017, 01:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

alright many things will do this, and that's the part where it sucks because you already paid for a lift but if you want to do it right you're still gonna have to spend.

rough ride in the front : short arms will cause this. the proper way to fix this is to get control arm drop brackets, with that will come adjustable control arms (I'm guessing yours are non-adjustables). so at this point, if you're gonna have to spend might aswell do it right, so I'd suggest long arms instead. this also fixes the problem and will give you better articulation and clearance than short arms with drop brackets. this will also solve the tire position, because right now it's pretty close to the fender. that's because the control arms are short and make it so the axle sits further back a little.

rough ride in the rear : rough country are known for stiff springs. that being said your shackle angle is probably around 90 degrees, which makes bumps unbearable and very rough. the solution is shackle relocation boxes. that alone can fix a good part of your rough ride, but keep in mind there's different kinds of relocation boxes. rough country's ones will give you some lift but are bolt on, while some others are no-lift but require some cutting and fabrication.
Old 10-25-2017, 05:52 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Sorry, but I gotta do it...

Name:  rough country meme.jpg
Views: 676
Size:  125.8 KB

Name:  rough country.jpg
Views: 960
Size:  83.1 KB
Old 10-25-2017, 05:54 PM
Moderator CF K9-unit

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 2000 sport
Engine: New 4.0l from s&j engines

Last edited by Dumajones; 10-25-2017 at 06:32 PM.
Old 10-25-2017, 06:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Year: 96 & 88 4 dr Cherokees

You can do drop brackets to get the ride up front better.

I did, and I DO NOT have adjustable arms, and my front tire is pretty much centered in the wheel well.

For the rear, you'd have to do the no lift shackle relocation kit to smooth things out and not go any higher.

I am @ 4.5" as well, but my springs are not new, and I don't sit as high as you, even tho I also have 31's.

Did you put the weight of the jeep on the suspension before you tightened the leaf springs or control arms ??

The clunking could be a few things....driveshaft (4.5 usually needs a SYE), sway bar bushings or end links, shock bushing off center, worn out shackles, bad TRE or track bar (did you put in new at least with the lift ?)...............

Was it a 6" kit, or is it a new 4.5" kit that needs to settle out some ?

Last edited by TRCM; 10-26-2017 at 03:48 PM.
Old 10-25-2017, 08:50 PM

Default Thanks

After getting it repositioned
So today I got rear shackle at better angle by loosening shackle up and shacking jeep back and forth for awhile got the shackle in better position then it was before... lower control arms and upper I’m thinking of getting the CavFab Motosports adjustable upper and lower control arms, anyone use them before?
Old 10-25-2017, 09:22 PM

Model: Cherokee(SJ)

Based on your photos, you either got a bigger lift than indicated or they sent you the wrong parts...your control arm angle looks like it is at 50 degrees or more. Your rear shackle is pointed the wrong way, should be pointed backwards. Even with 33s you won't fill the wheel well with that much lift.

honestly, measure the lift height to figure out what you got first. Then determine what to do from there. If it's over 4.5 you've got some work to do to make it ride appropriately

this is mine with 3.5" lift, 33s and slightly trimmed fenders for reference
Old 10-25-2017, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Chance0921
After getting it repositioned
So today I got rear shackle at better angle by loosening shackle up and shacking jeep back and forth for awhile got the shackle in better position then it was before... lower control arms and upper I’m thinking of getting the CavFab Motosports adjustable upper and lower control arms, anyone use them before?
Adjustable's may help slightly, but the only way to get it right is change the geometry. The problem with short arms is it rides like a pogo stick at taller heights. To ease that, you need to drop the mount points down, or move them further back and extend. The rear shackle still looks pretty straight up and down, you can change that with relocation boxes or boomerang shackles.

Also as mentioned, you'll want a SYE at that height, and an adjustable track bar...

The higher you go, the more it costs, and harder it gets to dial in.

Last edited by Rogue4x4; 10-25-2017 at 09:28 PM.
Old 10-25-2017, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by roninofako
Adjustable's may help slightly, but the only way to get it right is change the geometry. The problem with short arms is it rides like a pogo stick at taller heights. To ease that, you need to drop the mount points down, or move them further back and extend. The rear shackle still looks pretty straight up and down, you can change that with relocation boxes or boomerang shackles.

Also as mentioned, you'll want a SYE at that height, and an adjustable track bar...

The higher you go, the more it costs, and harder it gets to dial in.
Should i just save up for Long arm kit now this sucks?
Old 10-25-2017, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Jxj2001
Based on your photos, you either got a bigger lift than indicated or they sent you the wrong parts...your control arm angle looks like it is at 50 degrees or more. Your rear shackle is pointed the wrong way, should be pointed backwards. Even with 33s you won't fill the wheel well with that much lift.

honestly, measure the lift height to figure out what you got first. Then determine what to do from there. If it's over 4.5 you've got some work to do to make it ride appropriately

That rear leaf looks way inverted, maybe it's just how it's parked?
Old 10-25-2017, 09:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

That rear leaf looks way inverted, maybe it's just how it's parked?
idk man that thing looks way off hahah
Old 10-25-2017, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Jxj2001

So i measured the lift and I'm sitting at 6.5 inchs then called rough country and they had me take measurements of coils and they where about 18 inchs and the guy said give it about 200-300 miles and see if it settles, because right now there about inch longer...
Old 10-25-2017, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Chance0921
Should i just save up for Long arm kit now this sucks?
Depends, what do you want it to do?

Mainly street with mild offroad, you'll be fine. Uncomfortable, but fine.

Daily driver/weekend warrior? Long arms.

Hardcore offroad? Definitely LA's, 3 link, etc

To do it properly takes a lot of research, money, time, patience, blah blah blah...

I know it's easy to get sucked in by seeing a "lift kit" offered at a low price...but they are all not created equal. Gotta do your research to do it right. One of the reasons I hate RC products, they prey on people's wallets, offering a "complete" lift kit, when it's anything but. They lure new guys in with low price.
Old 10-25-2017, 09:43 PM

A basic chart as to what should happen

-nkoc-lift-chart.jpg
Old 10-25-2017, 09:47 PM

Depends, what do you want it to do?

Mainly street with mild offroad, you'll be fine. Uncomfortable, but fine.

Daily driver/weekend warrior? Long arms.

Hardcore offroad? Definitely LA's, 3 link, etc

To do it properly takes a lot of research, money, time, patience, blah blah blah...

I know it's easy to get sucked in by seeing a "lift kit" offered at a low price...but they are all not created equal. Gotta do your research to do it right. One of the reasons I hate RC products, they prey on people's wallets, offering a "complete" lift kit, when it's anything but. They lure new guys in with low price.
Yeah its Daily Driver and as for offered wed use it for hunting and trails... So sounds like long arms are going to be best bet. Yeah i got sucked in was saving for IRO lift kit or RE lift kit but wanted to get lift kit and install it before dad deployed again and Rough country was cheapest but i now really really regret it haha this sucks