Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New owner looking for help with lift install.

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 07:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default New owner looking for help with lift install.

Edit - Sorry just noticed this was supposed to go in the lift thread, mod please move with my apologies.

2000 Jeep Cherokee Limited
164,000 Miles
Automatic with NP242 Transfer case (did the 1" TC drop with the lift)
P235/75R-16 BFGoodrich Rugged Terrain T/A XL Tires

I just had mechanic at my job install the Rusty's 3" Advanced Lift Kit for me (along with JKS OGS651 rear shackle kit). I have on order sway bar links and double shear track bar from Iron Rock (to replace the Rusty's TRE one that everyone hates). I have the following issues / questions, any help is appreciated. Note mechanic is good but I am sure doesn't know everything specific to this install so I am trying to give him some direction on how to solve my issues.

1. Under normal driving conditions I have squeak coming from what I believe is where the JKS shackle is mounted to the frame, I know this is a poly bushing so my thought is to have him make sure it was greased properly on install and also to check that is torqued correctly while on the ground, anything else to look for? Note that there was zero squeak early in the morning, not sure if temperature would affect this?

2. I have no front end noise issues except when going over speed bumps in a parking lot (slowly), then it sounds like a clunk or a grind, I see no visible signs of anything rubbing. I have not put longer sway bar links on yet, waiting on order from Iron Rock, I am guessing this is the issue? I also ordered new sway bar bushings and again will ask him to verify torqued correctly, anything else to look for here?

3. Just remembered this one, I was leaning very slightly to the front left prior to lift install and that has not really changed, maybe got a little better, is this a concern and is there anything I can do to correct? It is about a 1" difference measuring from ground to under fender flare on both sides.

Other than those everything seems to be fine, I had it aligned (purchased lifetime so I can do it again after new track bar and sway bar links), is there anything else I should check for as far as proper install (I just printed out the torque specs to go around and verify all).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails New owner looking for help with lift install.-1.jpg   New owner looking for help with lift install.-3.jpg   New owner looking for help with lift install.-alignment.jpg  

Last edited by pbiancardi; 11-13-2014 at 07:04 AM.