Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New member - cooling question

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 11:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default New member - cooling question

I am new to the forum. I have a 1998 Cherokee with a small lift and mechanically stock. It has always run great but recently starting overheating with slow driving and driving up steep hills. My son is going to start driving it soon so we have started to do some upgrades starting with the cooling system.

I have read many of the forum topics about cooling systems upgrades and I know there are many different opinions and I have decided on going with the 3-row CSF from Radiatorbarn.com. I am also going to put in a new 195 deg. thermostat and new water pump and see how it all works from there. I am on a tight budget so I am going to hold off on upgrading the electric fan.

My question is, how necessary is adding an auxiliary transmission cooler and is it difficult to add later on. We currently don't do any heavy off-roading yet but if it is an important upgrade it would probably be easier to do at the same time I replace the radiator. If it is not too difficult to add later then I can leave that for one of the things my son can do later if he wants to.

Thanks

Toby Lewis
1998 XJ Cherokee
Pro Comp 3" lift
KMC XD wheels
BFG All Terrains
Smittybilt bumpers
Old 07-30-2012, 01:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

You can also check out your mechanical fan clutch. You can replace it with one from a Grand Cherokee. Off the top of my head I can't remember year is compatible. If you do a search in the OEM Cherokee Tech you should find the part number that will fit it. As for the trans cooler it's not that difficult to install it after you replaced you rad. But, It would be easier to do it when you have everything out.
BTW, Welcome to the forum.