Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New guy, old jeep head

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 07:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default My Build

I had a 90 XJ a while back, locked, 8.8, 5.5", 35's (mostly rock crawling) and maybe didn't notice any problems with the frame too much but in doing a lot of research on a Cavfab long arm kit I'm thinking of purchasing I'm seeing a lot of emphasis on frame stiffeners. I read somewhere having a strong bumper, a good center piece (long arm kit) and good rear bumper is suffice for the frame? I'm planning on building this new little XJ I got up to the same specs as my old one.

Last edited by paulhead; 04-21-2018 at 10:24 AM.
Old 11-25-2017, 12:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Renix

So here is my deal. I have an 88 cherokee that I bought built with a cage. I have spent a ton of hours redoing the jeep fixing issues from the prior owner. I run freeways and offroad pretty hard. Even with HD bumpers front and rear and full cage, long arm, and some reinforcement, when I flex out the interior creaks and goans and it feels like its going to pop the windshield out. After riding in my buddies 300K miles cherokee with stiffeners offroad, his barely makes a sound going over obstacles. So, I gave up, bought another stock cherokee and have a full set of stiffeners bumper to bumper going on. I think if you are going to wheel it, and want it to live, or just appreciate a solid feel, you have to start with stiffeners.
Old 11-25-2017, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Suprmn
So here is my deal. I have an 88 cherokee that I bought built with a cage. I have spent a ton of hours redoing the jeep fixing issues from the prior owner. I run freeways and offroad pretty hard. Even with HD bumpers front and rear and full cage, long arm, and some reinforcement, when I flex out the interior creaks and goans and it feels like its going to pop the windshield out. After riding in my buddies 300K miles cherokee with stiffeners offroad, his barely makes a sound going over obstacles. So, I gave up, bought another stock cherokee and have a full set of stiffeners bumper to bumper going on. I think if you are going to wheel it, and want it to live, or just appreciate a solid feel, you have to start with stiffeners.
Yeah I got some forward and mids, been reading a lot and before anything goes on the stiffeners are first, thanx. Yeah black friday earned it's name if you saw all the crap I bought for this thing
Old 11-26-2017, 09:36 AM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 97

Originally Posted by Suprmn
Absolutely, the cage does no good at all without being attached to something much more solid underneath.
Old 01-23-2018, 05:55 PM

Been dragging *** on this. Getting the little mechanical issues out of the way, power steering leak. I got all the parts for my build but I have questions. Do I start a (new) build thread? And what do I start with first? Frame stiffeners then long arm/rear leafs? I got a 231 with a SYE I'm gonna swap in there and after the lift is said and done then I'll get DS measurements. Suggestions?
Old 02-14-2018, 01:59 AM

Well live and learn, learned from the drivers side frame stiffeners. Worried about burning thru the thin unibody I used a 110 flux core to weld on the stiffeners and that was a mistake. It worked but I didn't like the welds and even touched it up with my 220 gas welder that I shoula used. Passenger side came out a lot prettier. I prepped everything with weld primer (this stuff ain't cheap). Then I got busy on the 8.8 grinding off the stock hardware and welding the tubes. Gonna pull the D30 tomorrow and get both axles to my gear guy.

Old 02-14-2018, 02:00 AM

threw the Spartan in the D30 carrier I got for the axle since it needed a higher ratio carrier and it was out and dry. Of course I greased the parts up before putting them together. Foot note: If installing one of these I guess it's a common problem the hardened cross shaft has issue going in some carriers so after I installed the locker I had to pop it back out to grind down the carrier shaft holes a little. (might be common knowledge but it was news to me)
Old 02-14-2018, 03:00 AM
CF Veteran

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Year: 96 & 88 4 dr Cherokees

You should not grind down the center pin OR the locker at ALL to get it to fit.....if you do, the locker may not work right.

What do you mean carrier shaft holes ??

Do you plan on welding up those vertical seams on the stiffeners ??

Last edited by TRCM; 02-14-2018 at 03:02 AM.
Old 02-14-2018, 03:08 AM

The holes in the carrier itself were not wide enough for the shaft to go thru so I dremeled the holes wider. I google it and it seems a common issue
Old 02-14-2018, 10:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Year: 96 & 88 4 dr Cherokees

OK...I thought it was a problem with the center pin itself or the locker.....

I had a guy once who rebuilt an axle for me grind the center pin down to get it in (high side of 1 gear tooth had to be ground down, which I told him had already been done, but he put the ring gear back on the carrier differently), and it had so much play, the locker could literally fall out.
Old 04-11-2018, 12:58 AM

Axles on there way to get geared to 4.88, getting chromos for front and rear, Grizzly locker in the rear (8.8). Prepping the body for front stiffeners and CavFab 3 link
Old 04-19-2018, 11:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 94
Engine: 4.0 Stroked - 4.7

Almost forgot what an uncut finder looks like!
Old 04-20-2018, 09:01 PM

So I got a SYE for the stock Tcase, Easy Off and a quarter car wash got it clean and able to work on, installed it after

Tried putting the CavFab cross member together and then mocking it into place but that ***** is heavy! Had to mount the sides first then the center.

Turns out my exhaust was getting in the way a little but just trimmed the cross member a hair and it fit fine.

Got it to support the trans/Tcase and everything looks good, ran out of day but whats left is to mark and drill holes, to be continued........
Old 04-20-2018, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by FOXxX
Almost forgot what an uncut finder looks like!
gonna do my best to keep the stereo stock
Old 04-30-2018, 09:20 PM

Drivers side frame stiffeners on, pain in the ****. I'm not a great welder so at good angles I got a decent bead but others not so great. Then the bumper had took a hit which bent the frame, had to drill through it and added backing reinforcement to the corner. My concern with these RuffStuff stiffeners is there's not a lot of meat to hold to with an aftermarket winch bumper. In hindsight shoulda got the JCR brackets and stiffeners. Any suggestions? I had gotten the Mauler from JCR and sold the brackets thinking the ruffstuff stiffeners would work but now I'm all fubared.
Attached Thumbnails New guy, old jeep head-20180430_153608.jpg   New guy, old jeep head-20180413_111029.jpg   New guy, old jeep head-20180413_125541_hdr.jpg   New guy, old jeep head-20180413_125552.jpg   New guy, old jeep head-20180430_172936_hdr.jpg  

Quick Reply: New guy, old jeep head