Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New axle U joint problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 07:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default New axle U joint problem

Replacing my axle U joints with the Spicer 5-760X as I understand it is a direct replacement just with a bigger body in the cross. So just when I think I'm driving it home finished I get this crap. The one cap won't seat up to the rubber shield no matter what. All the rest are flush and ready for clips installed. So now I'm sitting here assuming that a needle bearing has fallen over within the cap? Hell I don't know, I'm so frustrated right now I could punch a hole in the wall. I thought it was time to button this ***** back up and call it a day. I'm starting to understand exactly why you pay good money for mechanics to do this stuff for you
Old 08-20-2016, 11:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6

Kill thread if you'd like, problem solved. After driving it back out it fell out and some of the needles were askew within, probably from the fall. I placed them back and it went back together fine this time. Who knows, one must have been tipped over in the bottom, none broken from the pounding though. ??? I have to quick freaking and learn to problem solve without running to the interwebs.
Old 08-21-2016, 06:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000
Engine: 4.0

yep. those pesky needles. i've had that happen many times before. it makes you want to throw the damn thing out the window.

but just be patient. you don't want to hammer it too hard an bend or break a needle, or else you will have to go buy another u-joint. been there, done that.

glad you got er all back together. i'm in the middle of rebuilding the double cardon joint in my front shaft for the TJ. that damn center ball is a pita to get out. new ball is in, shaft is painted up and just waiting for it to dry to install new joints and reinstall back into jeep.

u-joints are fun...
Old 08-22-2016, 10:47 AM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

Gah, one time I had everything pretty much perfect and went to put the last cap on. One of the needles fell over and it ended up cracking the cap and deforming it.

Had to run to Autozone and pick up one of their crappy u-joints, just to transfer the cap + needle bearings over to the Spicer.
Wish it was possible to order just the cap + needle bearings...