Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Neon 703 Injector Swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 05:42 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L HO
Default Neon 703 Injector Swap

Hello All,

This week I will be receiving and installing my New Neon 703 Injectors in my 92. Now I know this calls for new O rings. Will these need to be Cherokee O Rings or Neon O rings??

Right now my Rig has a good throttle response when driving, but it lags on start up. I have to practically floor it on start up. I've already changed the Spark plugs, wires, cap & rotter and CPS. But it still lags on start up. I will also be changing my fuel filter and TPS. Could it be the ignition coil or Fuel Pump?? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!!
Old 12-12-2012, 05:54 PM

Year: 92 XJ (RIP)
Engine: I-6

Originally Posted by LaredoBucket
Hello All,

This week I will be receiving and installing my New Neon 703 Injectors in my 92. Now I know this calls for new O rings. Will these need to be Cherokee O Rings or Neon O rings??

Right now my Rig has a good throttle response when driving, but it lags on start up. I have to practically floor it on start up. I've already changed the Spark plugs, wires, cap & rotter and CPS. But it still lags on start up. I will also be changing my fuel filter and TPS. Could it be the ignition coil or Fuel Pump?? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!!
O rings can be had by size not necessarily cherokee or neon o-rings. NAPA sells o rings for what you need. As far as the lag on start up, what do you mean by lag? Sputtering, dying, black smoke, white smoke? I would change the fuel filter before I changed the TPS if everything is as it should be while driving.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:16 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by BRN2KL
O rings can be had by size not necessarily cherokee or neon o-rings. NAPA sells o rings for what you need. As far as the lag on start up, what do you mean by lag? Sputtering, dying, black smoke, white smoke? I would change the fuel filter before I changed the TPS if everything is as it should be while driving.
Thanks for the reply. By lag I mean, it won't start right away. I have to pump the pedal or even floor it to start it up. Sometimes it takes forever, sometimes not. Every now and again it will shut off when I slow down to make a stop.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:39 PM

What year is your Jeep? The reason I ask is the fuel filter may be in the tank. If so changing that unit will be a real PITA! Pumping the pedal wont do much on a fuel injected system. I think you will be very pleased with your injector swap. My guess is your current injectors are nahsty
Old 12-13-2012, 09:34 AM
Seasoned Member

My XJ is a 1992, 2WD, 5spd, 6cyl H.O. I also noticed my gas mileage has become worse over the past month or so.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:50 AM

Engine: 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by LaredoBucket

Thanks for the reply. By lag I mean, it won't start right away. I have to pump the pedal or even floor it to start it up. Sometimes it takes forever, sometimes not. Every now and again it will shut off when I slow down to make a stop.
Instead of pumping. Since its not carb'd. Turn the key to on. But not start. Hear the fuel pump buzzing? Let it stop buzzing. Turn key off again. Then repeat. Except go to start after the pump has cut off.

One of my old Cherokees was picky like that. Had to prime the fuel system or else it would take forever to crank over.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:08 AM

With a 92 XJ, the fuel filter is external from the tank. The fuel filter is on the drivers side near the rear tire on the frame rail, sheilded by a metal plate. Replace that unit, and you will probably feel a huge difference. I replaced one on a YJ and it made huge difference in fuel milage as well as throttle response. about 20 bucks and 20 minutes to an hours worth of time, based on rustiness of bolts, but well worth it.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:58 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by zingablaxj
Instead of pumping. Since its not carb'd. Turn the key to on. But not start. Hear the fuel pump buzzing? Let it stop buzzing. Turn key off again. Then repeat. Except go to start after the pump has cut off.

One of my old Cherokees was picky like that. Had to prime the fuel system or else it would take forever to crank over.
Cool! Thanks I'll try that out. I'd really like to solve this problem since it's never done this until the couple months ago. Thank again.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:10 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by BRN2KL
With a 92 XJ, the fuel filter is external from the tank. The fuel filter is on the drivers side near the rear tire on the frame rail, sheilded by a metal plate. Replace that unit, and you will probably feel a huge difference. I replaced one on a YJ and it made huge difference in fuel milage as well as throttle response. about 20 bucks and 20 minutes to an hours worth of time, based on rustiness of bolts, but well worth it.
Thanks BRN2KL, I've changed my fuel filter a couple times in the past 2 years. It might be clogged since I like to play in the dry lakes & dirt trails out in Barstow/Lucerne Valley. I will changing it along with swaping in the Neon injectors. I will let you all know if this solves my problem. Crossing fingers! Cheers All!!

Next on the list, I'm going 4.5". Adding RC LCA's, front Spacer and Adjustable Shackles, then ZJ Tie Rods. I want it ready to hit the trails in Spring. Bruhahahaha!!