Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need to Stiffen Sway Bar Mounts

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2017, 07:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Need to Stiffen Sway Bar Mounts

I am sitting on 5" of lift w/ the stock sway bar and JKS disconnects. I have wheeled it once or twice with the sway bar connected and now the mounts on the axle housing are bent. I bent them straight again, then they bent again. It's time to stiffen/reinforce them. Looking for pics/suggestions on methods to stiffen them. Thanks all.
Old 01-01-2018, 08:21 AM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Year: 89
Engine: Renix 4.0

Call me a simpleton, but why not utilize those fancy QDs? If the sway bar is disconnected there will be no pressure on the perches. No bending.
Old 01-01-2018, 08:56 AM
CF Veteran

I do, now. Unfortunately the metal has already been weakened. Just driving on the road it bends the mounts.
Old 01-01-2018, 11:02 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Longer arms.
Old 01-01-2018, 12:10 PM
CF Veteran

Care to elaborate? Perhaps a picture?
Old 01-01-2018, 01:13 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Just ditch the swaybar.
Old 01-02-2018, 09:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's several aftermarket one available if you do a Search...here's some examples:

http://zoneoffroad.com/zone-offroad-...wrangler/j5203

https://www.jcroffroad.com/product/SBRM.html
Old 01-03-2018, 02:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Originally Posted by bad_idea
Care to elaborate? Perhaps a picture?
Longer ?
Attached Thumbnails Need to Stiffen Sway Bar Mounts-sway-bar-disconnects_1128-basev2.jpg  

Last edited by freegdr; 01-03-2018 at 02:49 PM.
Old 01-04-2018, 01:22 AM
CF Veteran

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Year: 96 & 88 4 dr Cherokees

or do like I did, and make some drop brackets to continue using your stock end links, just drop them down 3" or so and move them forward ~1 1/2"
Old 01-04-2018, 07:08 PM
CF Veteran

I have the JKS quick disconnects. I set the sway bar at the appropriate angle (12 degrees IIRC). The issue is the axle mounts keep bending. I hammer them straight again, and then the bend again. The passenger one bent bad enough I couldn't get the disconnect to slide off the stud. That was a PITA.

I plan to keep the sway bar. I notice the difference driving it, and do not like it. I imagine evasive maneuvers will be sketchy at speed. Cant control some jack *** pulling out in front of me. Also, state inspection requires it. Come spring I'll fab up some kind of reinforcements. Was just looking for ideas if others had done this.
Old 01-04-2018, 07:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 482 Likes on 413 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

First thing I would do is ditch the instructions and let the axle droop fully. If there is more travel needed because the sway bar is as far down as it can go or is just maxed out, then you would need longer links. Then figure how high the bar will go at full stuff. A little trial and error needed, but that is how you need to figure it out for any lift
Old 01-04-2018, 08:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Year: 96 & 88 4 dr Cherokees

I have the JKS quick disconnects. I set the sway bar at the appropriate angle (12 degrees IIRC). The issue is the axle mounts keep bending. I hammer them straight again, and then the bend again. The passenger one bent bad enough I couldn't get the disconnect to slide off the stud. That was a PITA.

I plan to keep the sway bar. I notice the difference driving it, and do not like it. I imagine evasive maneuvers will be sketchy at speed. Cant control some jack *** pulling out in front of me. Also, state inspection requires it. Come spring I'll fab up some kind of reinforcements. Was just looking for ideas if others had done this.
Passed the state inspection a few times without it connected.....no problems....and this wasn't a good buddy hooking me up either.

Old 01-09-2018, 01:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

I have the same issue, my passenger side mount is either bent or somehow FUBAR because I can no longer get the disconnect off the stud, it hits the steering stabilizer bracket on the axle when trying to remove it.

I think I am going to weld in some sway-bar brackets that are built for long-arm kits, like the Synergy or Zone ones;
http://zoneoffroad.com/zone-offroad-...wrangler/j5203

They will raise the lower stud by 2" so it will clear all the suspension. I also have the JKS Quicker Disconnects and would likely have to shorten the shaft to get quick disco's to be short enough to work without having to buy the ones designed for 0-2" of lift

Originally Posted by 4.3L XJ
First thing I would do is ditch the instructions and let the axle droop fully. If there is more travel needed because the sway bar is as far down as it can go or is just maxed out, then you would need longer links. Then figure how high the bar will go at full stuff. A little trial and error needed, but that is how you need to figure it out for any lift
It honestly just sounds like his bracket is bent like mine. Mine travels just fine, but I can't get the sway bar to disconnect on the pass side (hits the stabilizer bracket as I stated above). I have to hit the bracket with a hammer to get it straight again, but it happens again in 500-1000 miles on its own (no real offroading either)

It is probably my fault for bombing up some fire-trails without first disconnecting the front axle
Old 01-09-2018, 01:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it possible to simply reinforce the axle mounts? Make a near-identical copy of the arm and cut it out of 3/16 and weld it to the existing mount? Or a piece of re-bar welded to the existing mount, spanning from the axle tube to the eye hole?
Old 01-09-2018, 02:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by Stroked98Xj
Is it possible to simply reinforce the axle mounts? Make a near-identical copy of the arm and cut it out of 3/16 and weld it to the existing mount? Or a piece of re-bar welded to the existing mount, spanning from the axle tube to the eye hole?
Alot of offroad fab shops make them, the Synergy ones look nice but don't come with gussets

Quick Reply: Need to Stiffen Sway Bar Mounts