Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some advice - chime in if you may!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 08:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Need some advice - chime in if you may!

Hi, I am not necessarily new to the forum but I have never posted anything. I believe in the search function and gathering as much information as I can from all of the other similar threads and posts. But I have come to a standstill with my next project.

Quick background on my '99. THIS IS MY DD

Purchased back in August of last year from the original owner with 130k on the odometer.

it was a well maintained vehicle for the most part, no rot or rust, interior wasn't perfect and outside has normal ware but all in all it was good condition.

since i purchased it this is the list of maintenance and repairs that I have done up to this point.

-changed all fluids, differentials, tranny, motor, brakes.
-new valve cover gasket
-new power steering pump
-new radiator and hoses, thermostat and overflow tank, flushed system including heater core twice.
-Tune up, plug, wires, cap, rotor, pvc, air filter.

whats left to do:
-steering assembly
-suspension & tires
-heater core
-fix vacuum line problem, heat only comes through defroster
-new door pins (currently really annoying)
-head liner
-new carpet and sound deadening material
-remove seat covers and get a professional cleaning
-bluetooth handsfree head unit
-rear spare tire mount
-paint exterior plastic
I AM SURE THERE WILL BE MORE.

SO NOW FOR MY QUESTION:

The next thing on my list is the steering and suspension. I would like to tackle whatever I end up doing at the same time. Im basically stuck between a rock and a hard place with regards to the suspension. Basically I have already planned on replacing all of the factory steering components with MOOG replacements. I will upgrade the steering damper and will upgrade the track bar depending on what I end up doing with the suspension.

I AM ON A BUDGET (aren't we all)

These are my options that I have given myself and I am looking for some advice to push me in which ever direction makes more sense.

OPTION #1 - Keep all stock components but get 2" spacers for the front and 2" shackles for the rear. Enough to fit 30" tires.
Whats your opinion on this, + & - ? Are there any special additions that I may have overlooked to make this work?

OPTION #2 - Rough Country 3" lift with full leaf springs and everything. I know this is proven so not so concerned about + & -, what other parts will make this combination work the best.

Any other advice or information will be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 03-05-2015, 08:46 PM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Option#3
Install Bushwhacker flat flares, run 30" tires. Refresh/replace stock suspension components.
Old 03-05-2015, 08:54 PM

is that the only way to get 30" tires without lifting?
Old 03-05-2015, 09:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO

30" tires iirc should fit without lifting although every jeep is different. Deal with your maintenance first. Deal with the steering since lifting will give new geometry. Save up and get an OME 2" lift with full leafs later on
Old 03-05-2015, 10:47 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO

I can vouch for 30s fitting with no lift. Before my lift I actually had sagging leafs and coils and I was still able to fit them with no problem. I would take a look at the rear bumps tops though as mine were gone. Not a huge issue but replacement will guarantee they won't hit. It doesn't need much in the way of bump stop as I still have none and no hitting, the front should be fine with the stock bumps tops or so I have seen with mine. If you do add a lift, and just want to keep it your dd and for average wheeling I would not go above 3", it adds up fast and get more complicated. If you lift, I would recommend piecing it together as I, and others have found some kits to actually cost more. Btw add a leaf kits on already flat or inverted springs are simply a band aid, if yours are that way I'd go full packs (I had to do this). Truly, right now with my 2" lift I could easily fit 31s, possibly 32s (32 NEED bumpstoping if I don't cut fenders, 31 would need some mild bumpstops which hockey pucks are great for in the front). If I were you, I would check out the "what junkyard parts fit" thread, it might save you some money it steering components, as in zj v8 tie rod, it is direct fit and much stronger, much cheaper at you pull it prices than some vendors. Good stuff for a budget. If you have any more questions just shoot.
Old 03-06-2015, 06:47 AM

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

Seems like my best bet right now is going to be replacing the leaf springs with a stock replacement, new shocks, possibly bump stops and the steering components.

I will definitely check out junkyard parts!!!
Old 03-06-2015, 07:29 AM
Beach Bum

What will fit and what will function are two different things.
I run 5.5" of up-travel on a 10" shock. At 4.5" lift, 31" tires still rub during those 'yee-haw' moments.lol
Rock crawlers are set up the opposite, more droop than up.
Old 03-06-2015, 07:46 AM

honestly I don't plan on doing any crazy extreme rock crawling, mudding or anything like that. I will be doing mostly daily driving and then weekend off roading on the way to the camp ground and favorite hunting locations. Stock height should be okay, I was thinking of bumping it an extra couple inches just to make sure I comfortably wear the 30" tires.

Can someone make a suggestion on best replacement for stock Leafs? I found DORMAN packs on Amazon with the bushings included for less then $100 per side shipped. Some of the reviews i read said that I can expect a 1-2" lift over stock with those leafs. Can you suggest leafs that will ride exactly as stock would have?

Thanks
Old 03-06-2015, 08:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996

Check IRO, they sell XJ stock leaf springs
Old 03-06-2015, 09:34 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

For $438 you can buy a full leaf/coil/shocks/hardware 3" lift kit from Rustys and one of the very few (if not the only entry level kit) using all American made springs both leafs and coils not made in China and other countries. They also sell leafs and coils by themselves if desired.

That way you have many choices as to tire/wheel combo's as well as other mods if desired. Only other thing needed would be an adj. track bar and a TC drop kit.
Old 03-06-2015, 03:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO

Originally Posted by SteveMongr
What will fit and what will function are two different things. I run 5.5" of up-travel on a 10" shock. At 4.5" lift, 31" tires still rub during those 'yee-haw' moments.lol Rock crawlers are set up the opposite, more droop than up.
Ok your yee-haw moments aren't like others bwahahahahhaha
Old 03-06-2015, 03:21 PM
Beach Bum

Originally Posted by sycoglitch
Ok your yee-haw moments aren't like others bwahahahahhaha
Maybe I should add a disclaimer or something, follow at your own risk, or, follow me if you are stupid too..
Attached Thumbnails Need some advice - chime in if you may!-dsc03196.jpg  
Old 03-08-2015, 03:58 PM

Engine: 4.0L / alabama head

I had option 1 for a long time and went to 4.5" afterwards. It will work fine as long as your springs aren't old and bent. I ran 30s at that time as well.