Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need opinions on 2" lift kits.

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 03:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee
Default Need opinions on 2" lift kits.

I just need to get opinions on how you like your 2" kits, which ones you have and possibly other recommendations if you don't like yours.

I want to put full spring packs on the rear of my 99 XJ but I don't know if I should get stock packs and drop shackles or blocks- or 2" packs with normal shackles, longer shocks?, brake line extensions?...dunno.

I currently have a set of 2-1/4" front spring spacers that were given to me but don't know if if I can get the rear to match up with a 2" lift in back.

I don't necessarily have to use the front spacers but would like to budget wise.

I will not be wheeling other than mild hunting trails and some snow and mud at times...Georgia mountains.

Nuther question.
I got some aluminum wheels off of a 98 grand cherokee and was wondering if I need to get different lug nuts although they seem to fit perfectly in the bowls.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:02 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L

I don't think that the 2" lift would need to relocate any brake lines.

Probably easiest to get a kit like this unless you really need new leaf springs, or shocks.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/84-01-Jeep-C...item1e67aacc31

Zone Offroad has this 2" kit with new shocks and full length AAL.

http://zoneoffroad.com/product?ki=31&gr=-1

Last edited by Synyster; 10-24-2011 at 04:05 PM.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 HO

Cheapest way would be to build a bastard pack rear and order new shocks if yours are worn out. Stock shocks are long enough for 2" of lift but just barely.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:28 PM
Seasoned Member

Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2

Go with a 2" shackle lift its cheep.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:33 PM

I can spring for the spring packs because mine are sagging pretty bad and I think the add a leaf is kinda redundant by putting a good leaf in with other worn leafs only to have it eventually worn out by the old leafs.

As far as shocks go I would like longer shocks for more flexibility.

I'm still trying to put together all the options from so many different kits.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:18 PM

Does the 2" lift require longer front/rear sway bar links?
Old 10-24-2011, 07:45 PM

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0L I6

Did not on my 91, they angle the swaybar links a little towards the coils, but still work, longer brake lines not needed. A longer shakle on the springs in back will flatten the leafs out, even moreso if already sagging, longer shocks are recommended if flexing, but on mild use factory shocks have held up fine
Old 10-24-2011, 07:49 PM

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0L I6

Rocklizard has a page for 2in info, shock part numbers. Zj front, mj rear iirc. If double post blame my phone.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by jowint
I snapped the "performance" sway bar links I got for like 35 bucks from quadratec in like 2 weeks. I didn't wheel at all, either. I'd say get some designed for a two inch lift. I am actually currently in the process of doing this and am having minimal luck. Finding only quick discos for like 100ish. They do, however, make lowering brackets for the sway bar that will solve this issue without the need for longer, expensive end links. You can also use clevis pins to make a DIY quick discos.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by VTJeep
I snapped the "performance" sway bar links I got for like 35 bucks from quadratec in like 2 weeks. I didn't wheel at all, either. I'd say get some designed for a two inch lift. I am actually currently in the process of doing this and am having minimal luck. Finding only quick discos for like 100ish. They do, however, make lowering brackets for the sway bar that will solve this issue without the need for longer, expensive end links. You can also use clevis pins to make a DIY quick discos.
Cool.
Do you know who makes the lowering brackets?
Old 10-25-2011, 06:40 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Zj heep

i have that in my 99 i got it from rustys 100 bucks works great screw the sway bar u dont need it with a 2
Old 10-25-2011, 08:03 PM

Year: 1998

If you already have the spring spacers, why not build a bastard pack. I found a set of almost new XJ leafs at the jy. Pulled those and some S10 leafs and comanche shackles. All that for about $85. Add in center pins, ubolts, and daystar polyurethane bushings for about $70. And for about $150 you can have a new full leaf pack and customize your lift.

I am doing a 2" lift now and they have discontinued the Sensatrac shocks for the upcountry ZJ. I ended up just going shock by shock at Oreilly's for the ZJ/XJ and found some that offered about 2" of travel. Ended up the Monro-matic for the ZJ(front) #37029 and the Sensa trac for the MJ (rear) #32252 had the most travel and about 2" more extended length for the shock
Old 10-25-2011, 08:19 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6

I just need to get opinions on how you like your 2" kits, which ones you have and possibly other recommendations if you don't like yours.

I want to put full spring packs on the rear of my 99 XJ but I don't know if I should get stock packs and drop shackles or blocks- or 2" packs with normal shackles, longer shocks?, brake line extensions?...dunno.

I currently have a set of 2-1/4" front spring spacers that were given to me but don't know if if I can get the rear to match up with a 2" lift in back.

I don't necessarily have to use the front spacers but would like to budget wise.

I will not be wheeling other than mild hunting trails and some snow and mud at times...Georgia mountains.

Nuther question.
I got some aluminum wheels off of a 98 grand cherokee and was wondering if I need to get different lug nuts although they seem to fit perfectly in the bowls.
If the spacers are poly, cut a 1/4" off of them. Won't hurt anything just get your cuts straight. Mine actually measure 1.75" inches so you could probably cut them down to that and your jeep will look level after putting those on the front and 2" shackles in the rear.

Originally Posted by Synyster
I don't think that the 2" lift would need to relocate any brake lines.

Probably easiest to get a kit like this unless you really need new leaf springs, or shocks.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/84-01-Jeep-C...item1e67aacc31

Zone Offroad has this 2" kit with new shocks and full length AAL.

http://zoneoffroad.com/product?ki=31&gr=-1
No you do not need to relocate brake lines. I have a 2" budget lift and there is plenty of brake line slack left.

Originally Posted by Zj heep
What he said. Get some adjustable shackles, 1.5-2" from RC.

No. You do not even need drop brackets. The sway links will be fine.

Cool.
Do you know who makes the lowering brackets?
You don't need these with 2" of lift. I have personally installed the 2" lift with spacers and shackles. My leafs are sagging like a mother and you can still tell the jeep is lifted compared to stock and the rear is not squatting down either.

If you already have the spacers just pick up some shackles. Your stock shocks will work fine as well. I had no problems out of mine. Maybe if you plan on doing any flexing the shocks may be a concern but after talking to you the other night it does not sound like you will be rock crawling and wheeling to hard.

Disclaimer: I am not an expert. All the above is based on my personal experience with my lift install.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:36 PM

Year: 1992

Pretty sure im gettin a 2" shackle/ spacer lift from RC for xmas the info helped out i was curious about all this.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:55 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6

Originally Posted by papaj
Pretty sure im gettin a 2" shackle/ spacer lift from RC for xmas the info helped out i was curious about all this.
That is what I have. Pretty easy install. The biggest problem I had was the rear spring bolts. But after reading up on here and asking questions I got them out without breaking off the welded nuts inside the frame. Make sure you have a breaker bar handy! And lots of PB Blaster too!

Quick Reply: Need opinions on 2" lift kits.