Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with / recommendations for new Speakers!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 01:22 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Question Need help with / recommendations for new Speakers!

Hi Everyone,

I tried searching in a few different ways for speaker recommendations that would work with my '98 Sport. I just installed this head unit that features two sets of "pre-outs" that I'm wondering what I can do with...

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...ers/DEH-6400BT

It is a great head unit. It says in the specs 4x50w. I don't know much about amps or hooking up subs but I'd prefer not to run any new wiring but want to get the best 4 speakers for my buck, but may consider it if an amp is really a great upgrade. Not looking to run a subwoofer because of the space it would take up. Would it help with sound quality by just getting an amp w/out the sub?

If it's of any help to a recommendation, I'm a rocker. Classic rock and 80's metal are my thing. Bands like Pink Floyd, Queen, Led Zeppelin, Uriah Heep, Manowar, Judas Priest, some Metallica, i could go on!

Thanks much and forgive me if there is a similar thread that I've been unable to find.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:05 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Go to a bunch of different stores and listen to different speakers to see what you like best. Most of the speakers everyone tends to buy sound like poop in my opinion, but you may think differently. The two fronts are the most important. The backs should be mids with no tweeters. An amp will help immensely. The RMS output of your HU is probably only 19w/channel or so. Find the speakers you want then get an amp that will match their RMS power rating. Also look into mounting the speakers on an MDF ring.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:17 AM
CF Veteran

Yo Mr. White! Will the MDF make it more "bassy"? I haven't thought of this before. Now I just need to figure out how the amp hooks up and where to put it and which one to get, lol. Thanks!
Old 01-07-2013, 02:22 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by PocketsEmpty
Yo Mr. White! Will the MDF make it more "bassy"? I haven't thought of this before. Now I just need to figure out how the amp hooks up and where to put it and which one to get, lol. Thanks!
It will be a cleaner sound. The stock speaker mounting points generally aren't very good.
The amp is easy. Run rcas from your preouts to the amp. You will likely need a 4 channel amp. Then you can either run new wires to the doors from the amp, which would be the preferred method, or run the speaker wire from you amp to the back of your head unit and cut them in there (which is highly ghetto and I don't recommend this method).

Last edited by mr white; 01-07-2013 at 02:25 AM.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:43 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by mr white
It will be a cleaner sound. The stock speaker mounting points generally aren't very good.
The amp is easy. Run rcas from your preouts to the amp. You will likely need a 4 channel amp. Then you can either run new wires to the doors from the amp, which would be the preferred method, or run the speaker wire from you amp to the back of your head unit and cut them in there (which is highly ghetto and I don't recommend this method).
Thanks for your help. If I go the amp route, I will definitely do it the right way.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:55 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

Alpine Type S.. They sound really good when only ran off of the head unit. If you throw an amp at them they really come alive.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:41 PM

Year: 1997

As Mr White said...this is going to be a matter of personal preference. You'll get a lot of "Brand X is the best...loud and clear and better than Brand Y"

What type of music do you listen to primarily? Aftermarket speakers are all about poly cones now (cause they are about as cheap as paper cones now a days) but are not necessarily better. A poly cone is stiffer and will not have what's called "warmth" in the same regard as a paper cone. Xmax, voice coil quality, vas, qts, resonant frequency are all factors to consider. Any coaxial speaker will sound better in the upper frequencies as the stock speakers are just basic mid ranges.

Personally I believe matching the speaker to the rms wattage and the actual speaker enclosure (door or rear speaker bar) should be your main areas of attack before you get into brand comparing. Get some dynomat on the front doors and make sure the rears are air-tight and even the stock speakers will sound a lot better.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:03 PM
CF Veteran

Looks like I have more research to do. One more question -- if I get an amp (which I probably will now), do I have to rewire all of the speakers? Would it be RCA or is that dependent on the amp? Sorry i'm a n00b with audio

Thanks again
Old 01-08-2013, 07:22 PM
CF Veteran

You have to rewire the ones you are amping or splice in to the existing wires at an easier spot like behind the hu. Find what speakers you want first then find an amp that will work for them. Reading data doesn't really get you anywhere. Listening to them does.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:30 PM
Cherokee Forum Vendor

Year: 99
Engine: 4ho

No offense but reading data on a speaker has everything to do with the decision. But you have to know what everything means to make a good decision. I went against a ton of advice on the speakers I ran in my wifes vehicle purely off specs and the output compared to the other option was much better. You can PM me if you want to chat more one on one and I'll help you out. Bad thing with audio is there are beyond thousands of options and a lot of people are Brand nut huggers. I do not run a specific brand/brands, I run what has a good product,with better customer service. I do not run stuff like Kicker, JL, kenwood etc....
Old 01-08-2013, 10:17 PM
Seasoned Member

The one aspect of speakers that I will ALWAY run are soft dome tweets.

Hard dome tweets should be against the law. Sorry I know its just preference but I know Im right!

The best speakers Ive ever had are 6.5 Rainbow Germanium components in my maxima. Funny thing I bought them 2years old used for $200 off a dude on a audio forum, man the sound that came outta these freaking things they ate 100 rms EZ.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:53 AM
Cherokee Forum Vendor

Year: 99
Engine: 4ho

Those are the components in my wife had. But we paid 800 new. I have been to several SQ shows all around the world and in europe I heard one of the best sounding vehicles I've ever heard and he was running horn loaded tweeters! I too enjoy to softness of soft domes tweeters but I like that hit you in the face kind of loud that horns and some super tweeters have. But, any name brand, or off brand for that matter, tweeter can sound better than 90% of tweeters and component tweeters if Xovered properly.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:03 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Lyferxb9s
No offense but reading data on a speaker has everything to do with the decision. But you have to know what everything means to make a good decision. I went against a ton of advice on the speakers I ran in my wifes vehicle purely off specs and the output compared to the other option was much better. You can PM me if you want to chat more one on one and I'll help you out. Bad thing with audio is there are beyond thousands of options and a lot of people are Brand nut huggers. I do not run a specific brand/brands, I run what has a good product,with better customer service. I do not run stuff like Kicker, JL, kenwood etc....
The specs affect how they sound, yes, but how will he know what he likes unless he listens to some? You said yourself in the other post you typically like one "spec" but you heard something else and thought it sounded awesome...
Old 01-09-2013, 01:23 PM
CF Veteran

I appreciate the good discussion! I agree that it's good to hear before you buy. Problem is, that severely limits what you can do. For example, there are not many places around my area that have a big selection of speakers that are hooked up in-store that I can check out. Best Buy is all that comes to mind, and I know they aren't going to have much. I wonder if they even have amps hooked up at all in some of those stores. I know that 800 bucks is wayyyyyyyyyy out of my price range! LOL
Old 01-09-2013, 02:21 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Lyferxb9s
Those are the components in my wife had. But we paid 800 new. I have been to several SQ shows all around the world and in europe I heard one of the best sounding vehicles I've ever heard and he was running horn loaded tweeters! I too enjoy to softness of soft domes tweeters but I like that hit you in the face kind of loud that horns and some super tweeters have. But, any name brand, or off brand for that matter, tweeter can sound better than 90% of tweeters and component tweeters if Xovered properly.

8 bills sounds about right and worth every cent. Thats why I jumped on them for 2, plus they come in a cool case

And your correct about cross over points, its 100% all about the installer.

I ran a set of USD audio horns back in the day, they were sweet. The only draw back I had with them is they where mounted under the dash and my civic was a 5 speed, took a bit getting use too. And had to be careful getting in and out the car.

Last edited by Malik3404; 01-09-2013 at 02:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Need help with / recommendations for new Speakers!