Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with efan override

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 11:46 AM
CF Veteran

Received 190 Likes on 165 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default Need help with efan override

I have seen many write-ups that use the blue with pink tracer to turn the fan on, and that was the approach I planned to take until I realized that it can only work with the Jeep in the run position. As we all know later model Cherokees have heat soak problems. Well last trip I used a jumper wire and pulled the fan relay and had it run all day then pulled the wire when we got back to camp at night. Never had a heat soak issue, Cherokee ran cooler, and I was getting more air through my trans cooler so it was great. I liked the fact that it stayed running and pulled air through the radiator, trans cooler, and engine bay while off and kept the underhood temps down. Anyway enough about why I want to do it this way, now how should I go about doing it this way? The way I'm understanding it is the ground for the relay is going through the blue/pink wire, then the hot side trigger is going through ignition somewhere and then to the relay? So could I cut the hot side trigger, wire it to a 12v constant source and then cap off the 12v ignition source? How best would one go about doing this? Any tips or suggestions welcome!
Old 04-27-2018, 01:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 247 Likes on 206 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 4.0

I wired mine like any accessory setup. Have a relay running to the battery, ground, fan, and switch. I just reused the relay that the fan was wired to already and ran the new wires to everything else. I couldn't get it to work just wiring to the relay with the stock wiring for some reason as it sounds like you want to do. It works great, actually have to keep an eye on it so I don't let the engine get too cold, was previously out wheeling in 80 degree weather all day and it stayed at most 210 degrees with a lot of hill climbs. I'm using the '97+ fan on mine. I keep mine running for 10-15 minutes after wheeling all day with the jeep off to help.
Old 04-27-2018, 01:39 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by unidentifiedbomb
I wired mine like any accessory setup. Have a relay running to the battery, ground, fan, and switch. I just reused the relay that the fan was wired to already and ran the new wires to everything else. I couldn't get it to work just wiring to the relay with the stock wiring for some reason as it sounds like you want to do. It works great, actually have to keep an eye on it so I don't let the engine get too cold, was previously out wheeling in 80 degree weather all day and it stayed at most 210 degrees with a lot of hill climbs. I'm using the '97+ fan on mine. I keep mine running for 10-15 minutes after wheeling all day with the jeep off to help.
Does it still come on by itself or only by switch?
Old 04-27-2018, 01:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 247 Likes on 206 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 4.0

Only by switch. I tried to wire it so it would turn on by itself but couldn't get it to work for some reason. Could hear the relays I tried working but i just found it easier to wire it to it's own source.
Old 04-27-2018, 02:25 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by unidentifiedbomb
Only by switch. I tried to wire it so it would turn on by itself but couldn't get it to work for some reason. Could hear the relays I tried working but i just found it easier to wire it to it's own source.
I guess I could wire it with two relays so that when the switch is on it opens the other circuit and when off with the switch it closes the relay allowing the computer to control it, but then it gets complicated...