Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice for selecting all pieces for a 3" lift

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 10:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Supercharged 440 Magnum punched .60 - yeah right.. 4.0 like everyone else.
Default Need advice for selecting all pieces for a 3" lift

Hello... I've reached the point where I am ready to buy and build. Some background on my mentality and my Jeep's condition...

1. I love restoring things back to original look, or making things clean. My last project was a '66 Box Nova Wagon that I wound up selling.. but before I did, I restored almost every bolt on the damn thing. Brings me to #2.
2. My XJ was a beach rat, so I need to replace/restore many of the major components on the suspension, axle u-joints, bearings and bushings. I want to totally clean and POR-15 everything that is bolted in, and replace anything I can with new/better tech quality. So...

I chose the Rough Country 3" lift for $610 to start with. I don't want to get into SYE's and CV shafts. I don't have the $$ right now. ... but I'd like to add-in a good set of upper control arms (and replace those axle bushings), sway-bar disconnects (if possible), all new sway bar bushings, track bar and anything else the kit does not offer... because I have to anyway. Might as well put in better than original stuff.

Where do you go for all these extras and what do you recommend on a 3" lift. Tires will be 31".

Thanks for any help/advice. I'm new to all this and I don't want to waste good money on bad decisions.

Best,

JR
Old 05-01-2014, 10:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/al...go-here-10579/
Old 05-02-2014, 04:58 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998
Engine: I6 4.0

If you want to do it right, don't get rough country. Drop money on a good quality lift
Old 05-02-2014, 07:28 AM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

For the SYE, you can get a hack n' tap one...They're not too expensive. Some SYEs can be used with junkyard front driveshafts, used in the rear, I believe. With a hack n' tap, you drill in the pieces into the (output shaft??) thingy. No need to open the transfer case. I know Iron Rock Off Road sells a hack n' tap kit for $100 (then you buy a junkyard shaft), or $350 if you want a brand new driveshaft with it, then $20 for drill bits/taps for installation...Just throwing options out there...

Good call on control arms and track bar...Keep that stock geometry! Most people just don't bother on 3 inch kits, but I'm glad you're doing it right while you have it all apart anyways...Good luck!
Old 05-03-2014, 07:58 PM

Engine: Supercharged 440 Magnum punched .60 - yeah right.. 4.0 like everyone else.

Thanks for the advice.. lot's of reading and I've come to the conclusion that I'm sticking with the 3" for now and adding in parts from other companies for UCA, bushings, Quick disconnects, steering stab, etc.

I took a closer look at the front end and all the tie-rod ends and ball joints are solid... so I'm happy about that.

I'll use that $$ saved on the lift kit. What is the weak point of the RC lift? What makes a lift weak? Shocks, springs, leafs?

Thanks
Old 05-04-2014, 07:00 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998
Engine: I6 4.0

Well basically everyone who initially gets a lift wants rough country because it's so cheap. I haven't owned it because I ended up going BDS which is a much more complete kit overall and pretty reliable with a great warranty. Rough country from what I hear rides very, well, rough. The springs sag and the parts are eh. You get what you pay for basically. I mean by the time you drop cash on the extra **** like control arms trackbar etc, your getting in the range of complete higher quality kits anyway.
Some people have rough country and really like it, I'm not sure if it's because they haven't had other kits or they might have lower standards. But from what it sounds like is that you want to do it right and well. So don't get a kit on a budget, save if you have to and spend the money on a kit that will last
Old 05-04-2014, 07:07 AM
Old School CF Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2001

You can piece together a better lift than the RC kit for as much, if not less money. Also while your at it might as well upgrade to a v8 zj tie rod.
Old 05-04-2014, 07:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

x2 on the V8 ZJ tie rod setup under a $100 at AutoZone very good upgrade better than a lot of aftermarket ones that are sold. You may find you will need a new adj. track bar if it was not in the kit.

I have a RC kit here that I got in trade a 4 1/4" (new) and the lower control arm leaves a lot to be desired. IMHO it would be a better idea to buy a good adj. LCA first and then the upper if you have funds.

On my 3" lift I had to use an transfer case drop kit (cheap) to get the driveshaft angle better. One thing you will find out once you drive it for a while is that the shocks leave a lot to be desired also but easy to upgrade later on.

Don't forget the wheels for those 31" tires you will need a 15x8" with 3 3/4" of back spacing for them to clear everything. Good luck and enjoy the new look of your XJ I'm sure you will be pleased.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:15 AM
Former Sponsor

We are now a RE vendor and I'd be happy to hook you up with some solid prices on RE components. Shoot me a PM for some prices.