Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

n00b brush guard question

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 07:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default n00b brush guard question

okay so my friend has a grand cherokee (the 01 body style) that has a brush guard. he wants to get rid of it for one of my guitars which its a cheap guitar but he wants it so bad so i get the better side of the deal. Now since i have an xj and i am mechanically inclined bc I work in a body shop and all how hard would it be for me to get this to fit on my 91 xj? anyone ever done this before? will it look bad?
Old 10-29-2012, 08:16 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.6L stroker

I would personally avoid doing a brush guard bc they will multiply damage. But that's your call if u think it would look good. Likely some metal fab work involved
Old 10-29-2012, 10:13 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1990
Engine: Inline Six

For how hard it would be to mount, it depends on how the brush guard mounts to the Grand Cherokee. I made my own stinger brush guard and I just drilled straight into the stock bumper and attached it using homemade mounting plates. This method has proven great for me in the past and Ive pushed and pulled trees out of trails. Also does it look good? Before you put alot of work into this, you wanna make sure your going to like it. As far as damage, I dont see a ton of damage happening to your truck by having the brush guard on unless you plow your self into a tree. I mean its intended purpose is to protect the front of your XJ from the elements around you. On the flip side, you can put the most gody, thickest steel bumper you can find on your XJ but at the end of the day your really just bolting a bumper up to a sheet metal frame. Just some food for thought.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

brush guards are fugly imo
Old 10-30-2012, 12:47 AM
Seasoned Member

My stinger is mounted something like this. Its the same method I was mentioning earlier.

n00b brush guard question-87-96-jeep-cherokee-xj-brush-guard-bumper_3618941.jpg
Old 10-30-2012, 05:56 AM

thanks so much guys! this forum is awesome! I'll definitely check it out to make sure it looks okay and thanks for the mounting suggestions i think ill mount it to the bottom of my bumper since the mount goes underneath and if that doesn't look good i can mod it ^__^
Old 10-30-2012, 06:45 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

It won't look right a xj is flat in the front and the grand is rounded,Plus most of those bolt on chrome brush guards are just for looks and have no real protection at all.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:15 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L I6

It will sit about 2 feet ahead of the grille in the center.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:25 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
It won't look right a xj is flat in the front and the grand is rounded,Plus most of those bolt on chrome brush guards are just for looks and have no real protection at all.
I don't understand how they wont have any protection at all. If they are made of steel or any alloy then for light to moderate trail running it will work fine. All it needs to do is deflect the brush you will be going through and protect the lights from any tree lims wanting to smash them. My current stinger is made of bent electrical conduit and as I sated earlier, I've been able to pull and push trees out of the way with it. As far as looks, it depends what your going for as far as the overall look of your XJ. Just hold it up and see if you can design anything that will make it look good. If you cant, then don't get it.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Every one i have seen in a wreck even a light fender bender it bent easy or broke off.A true off road bumper is better its thicker and will take a beater a lot longer then something thin tubing.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:35 AM

yeah i see what you guys mean, but im kinda with nakedginger because maybe it wont make my xj a tank, but it will help i mean like i said earlier i work in an auto body shop and the people ive seen hit deer or trees and stuff the brush guard did help, although you are right and it didnt completely stop the impact. and yes id love to get a nice offroad bumper but i can't pay for all that now since im 17 and just started my career xD
Old 11-01-2012, 07:26 PM

test fitted today looks awesome doing final mount tmrw after work ;D
Old 11-01-2012, 10:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 247 Likes on 206 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: I6 4.0

Pics!
Old 11-02-2012, 01:40 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
Every one i have seen in a wreck even a light fender bender it bent easy or broke off.A true off road bumper is better its thicker and will take a beater a lot longer then something thin tubing.
If you plan on running your XJ into a tree (same as an accident) or even off a cliff, then yes you may want to get a new, thicker steel bumper. For moderate trail running and bobbing around something with a thinner wall will do just fine. Especially if it has arks in the construction. Along with that, a "true" off-roading bumper is a bumper that fits the needs that are demanded of the trails taken, not how much stuff you have on it. I mean if thin walled steel was that bad, why would your whole XJ be made out of it?

justa91xj once you get this mounted, put some pics up! I'm excited to see how it turns out. Good luck with the fabbing!
Old 11-02-2012, 04:08 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: i-6 4.0

Just wanted to say I love my warn, its been in 2 accidents, one was a mini van the po of the bumper hit the mini van in the rear quarter and ripped the sliding door and rear quarter off, the bumper lost some powder coat and has a scratch or 2 but I re painted it, and then my buddy was gonna scrap his 90 dodge Monaco and I pounded his door with it, still have the green paint on it, but all in all you can't beat a well made solid bumper, its saved my jeep on trail and road, okay Im done lol
XRC rear, warn front

n00b brush guard question-forumrunner_20121102_050422.jpg

n00b brush guard question-forumrunner_20121102_045541.jpg

Quick Reply: n00b brush guard question