Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My post-lift vibration choices?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 04:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default My post-lift vibration choices?

I've done a lot of reading around and have learned a lot about when an SYE/shims are needed. I think I get the general idea of how everything is supposed to work, but I'd like to get some definite answers before buying parts for the jeep. The most important thing is that the job gets done right the FIRST time...I hate doing things twice. This truck isn't road worthy yet, and won't be until it's mechanically sound. So on that note, here's what you guys would need to help me decide what to do:

-Lifted my jeep. Rustys 3" kit with new leafpacks (New leafs have not settles down at all, so the rear of the jeep is considerably higher than the front)
-.75" extended shackles in the rear
-Stock driveshaft
-Chrysler 8.25" rear axle
-Auto tranny/NP231 T-Case
-Very noticeable vibrations at just 20mph
-The driveshaft sticks out from the TC much more than I'd like

If any more info is needed, I'll try to get it. Some pictures of my driveshaft angle:

Please ignore the exhaust in the second photo. That's my current project.

From what I understand, the ideal setup would be to have the output from the TC and the rear axle be parallel to each other, like this:

In which case, I can use shims to bring my pinion angle downwards...or go the extra mile and cut/re-weld the spring perches ad shock mounts? That seems like wasted time when a shim can give the same effect. From those diagrams (not mine) I can see that If I went the SYE/front driveshaft route, I may not need to shim since the output from the axle is supposed angled upwards (just like mine is right now).

The question is what my best plan would be. I was looking into dropping the TC and installing an SYE along with a double-cardan style driveshaft (preferably a JY front driveshaft).

Would I need to install an SYE along with shims, or am I right in thinking that I'll be alright with just an SYE? My pinion angle is already angled the correct way. I've got most of this figured out, I'd just like to know if I'm going in the right direction.

As for measuring pinon angle, will I need a special tool? Some sort of digital/magnetic protractor?