Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Modify rear seat to fit amp?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 04:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 99
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Modify rear seat to fit amp?

I started a sub install last night in my 99 xj only to realize that my amp (Kenwood KAC 7252) doesn't fit under the rear seat where I had been planning on mounting it.

Now my question is, has anyone cut into the plastic under the rear seat to allow their amp to fit? I'm not sure what the seat looks like inside and I'm not about to just cut holes in it without knowing the what it'll do.

Alternatively, if anyone knows of a good stealth location for an amp that doesn't fit under the rear seat I'm open to that too. I got the enclosure from subthump.com and it fits into the rear cubby so that isn't an option. I'd really like to do a clean install with no visible wiring and the amp out of sight.

The amp dimensions are 15"W x 2-1/2"H x 11-5/16"D for reference.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Old 05-17-2013, 05:55 AM

Maybe I should rephrase my question, does anyone know what's inside the rear seat? Just foam? Foam and springs? My plan would be to cut a U shaped slot with the bottom of the u being the width of the amp so that the plastic can flex out of the way when the seat is folded down.

Also, am I in the right forum for this question?
Old 05-17-2013, 09:28 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 97
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by hobhayward
Maybe I should rephrase my question, does anyone know what's inside the rear seat? Just foam? Foam and springs? My plan would be to cut a U shaped slot with the bottom of the u being the width of the amp so that the plastic can flex out of the way when the seat is folded down.

Also, am I in the right forum for this question?
That is a really good idea if you're trying to ruin your amp. Amps need to breathe and stay somewhat cool. There is no air flow under the rear seat and it will burn your amp up.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:32 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: '99 and '91

I'd say if its too big to fit in there than it probably needs more room to breathe. Maybe if you just get a smaller one.

Is there enough room under the passenger front seat?
Old 05-17-2013, 09:51 AM

Too wide to fit under either front seat. From what I've read the rear seat is a common mount location and people generally don't have overheating issues unless they're running their system at full blast for extended lengths of time during the summer.. This isn't some 2000w beast either, it does 500w although it is the less efficient class A/B. I'm willing to gamble on the heat if I can make it fit, if it turns out to be an issue its not like pushing into thermal protection once or twice is going to ruin the amp.

If it really comes down to it I may get a smaller amp but I'd really like to avoid the hassle.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:55 AM
CF Veteran

I'd get a smaller amp vs. cutting up your seat. Its not like you can't resell the amp (or return if its not too late)

I'd like to know what you think of the sub thump box btw. I want one. You go with a 10" sub?
Old 05-17-2013, 10:27 AM

Yep, went with the 10" and am using this sub:
Amazon.com: Pioneer TS-SW2501S4 10-Inch Step Up Shallow S4 Subwoofer: Car Electronics Amazon.com: Pioneer TS-SW2501S4 10-Inch Step Up Shallow S4 Subwoofer: Car Electronics

So far I have the whole system set up but nothing permanently installed yet. I'm pretty impressed so far but I haven't had time to really run it through its paces yet. Gonna try to finish the box install tonight and I'll post some pictures.

Comments on the box itself: the hole for the speaker was ~ 1/8" too small for my sub, the hole they provided was 9 1/4" in diameter (you could probably request custom sizing). They assemble with staples as far as a can tell which is kinda meh, and I also wasn't a huge fan of the cloth they chose but for $135 shipped its hard to argue.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:27 AM

Yep, went with the 10" and am using this sub:
Amazon.com: Pioneer TS-SW2501S4 10-Inch Step Up Shallow S4 Subwoofer: Car Electronics Amazon.com: Pioneer TS-SW2501S4 10-Inch Step Up Shallow S4 Subwoofer: Car Electronics

So far I have the whole system set up but nothing permanently installed yet. I'm pretty impressed so far but I haven't had time to really run it through its paces yet. Gonna try to finish the box install tonight and I'll post some pictures.

Comments on the box itself: the hole for the speaker was ~ 1/8" too small for my sub, the hole they provided was 9 1/4" in diameter (you could probably request custom sizing). They assemble with staples as far as a can tell which is kinda meh, and I also wasn't a huge fan of the cloth they chose but for $135 shipped its hard to argue.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:31 AM
CF Veteran

Nice. I was looking at the shallow subs as well. For obvious reasons lol.

Make a video when you get all done if you can. I wouldn't mind hearing it. Well as best you can over YouTube anyways.
Old 05-17-2013, 12:36 PM

Year: 1999

What I plan on doing is putting a small amp under the rear seats and wiring up a small fan or two to circulate air. They have them at radioshack for dirt cheap.
Old 05-17-2013, 02:44 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L

I got the subthump as well.
I'm using this sub:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_109GTO804/JBL-GTO804.html
and this amp:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_777M210...ce-M-2100.html

I haven't installed anything yet, as my girlfriend and truck are taking up my time . What I was planning on doing is putting the amp under the passenger seat, and cutting away a little of the carpet padding and replacing it with DeadMat or something, so the amp will sit lower. Mine is a little smaller than yours however.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:33 PM

Didn't end up cutting the rear seat, managed to fit it under the passenger seat, it was a real pita to get it in there though (it doesn't look like it but it was a reallly tight fit), even with the seat bracket removed. Naturally sheared the back right seat bolt off when taking the seat out.

I'll get some more/better pics tomorrow when I finish up hopefully. Pretty happy with everything so far though.

Last edited by hobhayward; 05-18-2013 at 10:35 PM.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:39 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L I6

This is how mine looks if you ever want to put it under the back seats the amps gotta be small. This one fits perfectly under the seat.

Name:  1360252913082.jpg
Views: 1252
Size:  57.3 KB
Old 05-19-2013, 09:52 PM

Not really happy with the trim job I did on the cubby cut out but it looks pretty good if you aren't paying close attention to the where the plastic meets the sub box.

Had to wire the amp up before putting the seat bracket back on because it blocked access to the screw terminals..

Andddd just because

I can take a video but I'm not sure how well my phone would capture the bass lol..
Old 05-19-2013, 09:55 PM
CF Veteran

How you like the sound?

Quick Reply: Modify rear seat to fit amp?