Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Missing E-Brake linkage, steering box question

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Missing E-Brake linkage, steering box question

Howdy folks,

Just bought a '92 Cherokee with a 4" lift and 32" tires. I am totally new to the Jeep community. Got a few questions...

1.) My Jeep is missing the entire e-brake system from the bottom of the lever handle all the way to the holes in the brake system inner plate (or whatever you call it). My local Junk yard says he doesn't sell the sheathed portion at the rear of the vehicle that connects to that plate... it goes with the axels. Any idea where I could buy this? Any junk yards that you recommend that ship parts?

2.) My steering is pretty sloppy. I replaced the lower Track Bar bushing with a polyurethane piece. that was the only joint I could see a lot of movement in with wife rocking the steering while I was under it. The original looked OK when I got it out but was a much softer material (same red color though). It definitely tightened up that joint but I'm still all over the road when I drive. I can feel a lot of slope in the steering gearbox shaft that the pitman arm attaches to so I thought I should go ahead and replace that. I'm thinking of just buying a new one, not sure of cost though. where's a good place to go for this or would a rebuilt unit be just as good ??

Any help is greatly appreciated.
thanks
David

PS: I'm posting here in the tech section because I thought my missing brake parts could be a common thing with a 4" raised Jeep. Can you not use an e-brake with a high lift ???
Old 03-31-2014, 08:32 PM

4.5" RC stock e-brake.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 247 Likes on 206 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: I6 4.0

I ripped my emergency brakes out last time I did my brakes, unless it's a manual or live in a place where you will be parking on 30* or greater slopes there's no need to have emergency brakes in an auto. IMO
Old 03-31-2014, 09:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Originally Posted by Black92Cherokee
Howdy folks,

Just bought a '92 Cherokee with a 4" lift and 32" tires. I am totally new to the Jeep community. Got a few questions...

1.) My Jeep is missing the entire e-brake system from the bottom of the lever handle all the way to the holes in the brake system inner plate (or whatever you call it). My local Junk yard says he doesn't sell the sheathed portion at the rear of the vehicle that connects to that plate... it goes with the axels. Any idea where I could buy this? Any junk yards that you recommend that ship parts?

2.) My steering is pretty sloppy. I replaced the lower Track Bar bushing with a polyurethane piece. that was the only joint I could see a lot of movement in with wife rocking the steering while I was under it. The original looked OK when I got it out but was a much softer material (same red color though). It definitely tightened up that joint but I'm still all over the road when I drive. I can feel a lot of slope in the steering gearbox shaft that the pitman arm attaches to so I thought I should go ahead and replace that. I'm thinking of just buying a new one, not sure of cost though. where's a good place to go for this or would a rebuilt unit be just as good ??

Any help is greatly appreciated.
thanks
David

PS: I'm posting here in the tech section because I thought my missing brake parts could be a common thing with a 4" raised Jeep. Can you not use an e-brake with a high lift ???
1. http://www.4wd.com/hardparts/HP_PartList.aspx?hpDID=191
2. If the steering box is trash check the control arm bushings, TRE, and ball joints as well.
Peeps consider the parking brake "spare parts" for some reason. I use mine every time I park just out of habit even with an auto. A lot safer than depending on a cheap little pawl in the transmission.

Last edited by Turbo X_J; 03-31-2014 at 09:52 PM.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:58 PM

Year: 1992

In Texxas you have to have a parking brake to pass inspection.
thanks for the replies.
David
Old 04-01-2014, 09:10 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996

The E-bake is also a major component of the brake adjustment system