Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maiden Voyage

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 08:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Maiden Voyage

Yesterday I got my newly started project on the trail for the first time. A little background... I have been wheeling for years and due to a series of misfortunate events, I went from a very well built 2003 Rubicon, to a 97 Land Rover Discovery... realized I could not keep the disco and the 2001 Cherokee (was originally my daughters and we gave her our accord). So being the jeep guy I am at heart, I sold the disco and have just begun the build on the xj. Budget build as necessary at this moment in my life.

Build so far:
Rough Country 3" with full spring pack
Crane diff cover on front (used, ebay)
BFG 33x10.50 MT (old style mt.... love that tire) used
Trimmed front and rear fenders. A bit of a hack job, but looks good from 20 ft.
Roxolid front and rear bumper. (ebay, inexpensive, but I like how it turned out)

With this weekend being the last for access to Uwharrie, my son and I headed out. He has a nicely built 2000 TJ on 33's locked front and rear that is his "early inheritance" from me. We have been wheeling together since about 2004. Since he is only 16 now, you can see he grew up in a jeep, learned to drive a stick on the trails, and is the rare teenager who knows slow and steady beats the gas pedal nearly every time. Honestly, he is probably a better driver off road then me. Just don't tell him I said that.

I did not have high expectations, since it was wet, I am not locked yet and do not have discos yet either. It turns out the cherokee did great. Had one slick climb that just was not going to happen unlocked, but other than that was able to go where I wanted. I am impressed with the ability of the jeep.

Wheeling without lockers again is like learning to wheel all over. Uwharrie does not open again until April. My plans are:

Rear locker - looking hard at Spartan from Yukon. Primarily since I can install on my own and the price is right.

Hood Vents - Having some issues that I think are heat soak from what I read. I already have some vents that were going to go on the Rubi.

Sway bar discos - Looking at different designs. My son has BDS and from what I have experienced in the past (Tera, skyjacker, JKS) the BDS is far easier to work with and they have held up nicely. Pricey at about $150. I am also looking at Rough Country. As I said budget counts on this build. the RC system looks simple and solid.

Rear axle shafts - I am going to keep my Dana 35, unless a smokin deal comes up on a stronger, already built axle. I can drop in a set of chromoly shafts from Quadrated for $215. With my current old man wheeling style and light tire choice, I think I can make the D35 live. Don't flame me for this choice, but you can laugh if I ever have to post the "my d35 busted" thread.

Skids - Rear diff, xfer case, engine, Rockers. Already have the front diff and LCA skids done. Looking at the AEV engine skid. Trying to get a good understanding of the xfer case skids that are available. Still also trying to get clear understanding of the rocker guards available, how they mount and what will and what will and won't hold up.

Still have a few things to work out. Would like to regear someday, but that is a bit much for me and want to finish sorting out the rear axle thing before I spend $ on it. A winch is in the future also. Not on the top of my list as my son is ever present with me offroad, with his TJ and he has a warn 9500 that needs some electrical work, but should be up and running soon.

So... back in the saddle again. I like the low on 33's look and the way the cherokee handled off road. Looking forward to winter wrenching.

John

Last edited by jscusmcvet; 12-18-2011 at 08:48 AM.
Old 12-18-2011, 01:15 PM

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L h/o

sounds like u got it off to a good start !! happy trails my dirty friend
Old 12-18-2011, 03:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

On the rear axle, you can find c8.25 for pretty cheap on craigs.
Old 12-18-2011, 10:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L HO

Cool, congrats on the maiden voyage!

Dana 35, a great street axle, good for 235/75R15's, decent trailer axle. If you bought chromoly axles and a locker for it only to break something else in a few trips, you'd kick yourself. I'd wheel it as is, and spend my money on a Chrysler or Dana 44 from another Cherokee to make it an easy swap. A ford 8.8 wouldn't be tough either, but requires more work for not much, if any, gain in strength over the above axles.

You'll be wanting to keep up with your son (and show him where he learned all he knows from), so plan worst case. If you're like me, I don't like spending money on parts I'll be swapping out later. Sounds like you too like to plan ahead.

Disco's, make it easy on your budget. Take one side's nut off, grind a flat spot on the threads, drill a hole, and get a pin to fit the hole. On the trail, pull one side, tie it up, and let the other side support the sway bar. Easy and cheap. That's $148 you can spend elsewhere!
Old 12-18-2011, 10:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L HO

Oh, and...

Let's see your rig!
Old 12-18-2011, 10:27 PM

Year: 1989
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0L I6

yea what kinda BS is this.....no pics.

ill give my input where i can

Hood Vents if your able to score a set of chrysler lebaron turbo hood vents they allow a lot of heat to exit and honestly look stock.....and its funny if you look at the lebaron turbo hoods they dont look much different than the cherokee hoods

D35 they are regarded as a piece of crap, and that has always worried me but i beat on mine for 5yrs and its still going, i was lucky enough to score a full F8.8 with discs for around a $100 then sold the 3.73 R&P for $100 so score free axle

Skids [1]Factory front skid is actually pretty beefy as far as factory skids go and can be had for cheap, i had to modify mine when i when with V8 ZJ steering as the cross brace and the drag link were contacting in turns....i can get pics if interested [2] Factory tcase skid is fairly minimal but better than nothing [231 and 242 had different skids], im currently running the Warn tcase skid that i scored brand new for a fraction of retail and i like it, its come down on rocks and stumps and hasnt dented yet. [3] Factory gas tank skid, again as far as stock pieces go its fairly beefy but i had to modify the mounts to work with my particular hitch [4] Rock sliders i dont have any yet but have done plenty of research as i plan to purchase soon and what i can say is you want something that bolts to the frame rail as well as the pinch seam, so far these are my favorite and the ones i plan to go with http://www.ajsoffroadarmor.com/home.php?cat=250

hope that helps and good choice on keepin the cherokee
Old 12-21-2011, 09:18 PM

Thanks for the input guys. Still pondering the axle choice. Guess I maybe should have posted this in the build section. I will update as decisions and purchases, installs are made.

John
Old 12-21-2011, 09:19 PM

And I'll get pics at some point when work slows down a bit :-)