Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Magnetic protractor don't lie :)

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2021, 01:57 PM

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default The Magnetic protractor don't lie :)

2001 XJ, AW-4 auto, manual crossmember (giving 3/4" trans drop), 8.8 rear.
I temp bolted the stock 231 transfer case in, Transfer case 5 deg, set 8.8 pinion at 5 deg to match (perches not welded yet).
installed the stock driveshaft and measured:, 16 deg. So that leaves me 11 deg U joint operating angles,, way to much.
I even ran a line from the 8.8 yoke to where a SYE yoke would be,, only reduced it to 14 deg driveshaft angle, still way to much.

I was going to run a SYE with non CV yoke and have a Drive shaft made with a slip in the center,
I really wanted to run the rear end "level" and not pointing up as this will see a lot of Hwy miles,, but not seeing that happening with these angle.

This is only 3.5" of lift,, 2" lift would not be measurably better on the angles ,, how the heck are people running stock drivelines with 2-3" lift ??
Old 05-12-2021, 04:47 AM

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

I dunno. I run roughly 2" of lift (never did an exact measurement) and after 4 years of daily driving and relatively consistent light offroading on forest trails at decent speeds, I haven't had a single thing wear out on me. No funny noises, no clunking, no grinding... I'm no measurement whiz so I can't tell you any numbers as far as angles go, but I've had no problems at all with my 100% stock driveline for a very long time, especially as hard as I drive for fun on nice roads sometimes!

(Picture is from about 5 months ago so definitely not up-to-date, but she still has the same amount of lift today.)
Old 05-12-2021, 07:34 AM

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Thats what threw me off,
I only have about 3.5" of lift. but I triple measured everything. 5 deg down on the trans, 5 deg up on the pinion, which is real similar to what others have,, and 16 deg on the drive shaft. Thats a 11 deg U joint angle, Spicer says max 3 deg.
Even if I dropped the lift to 2" it would not change the angles much,,,
Maybe I should not have measured and just run it, ignorance is bliss

BTW, love your XJ,, perfect balance for a functional 4x4
Old 05-12-2021, 08:42 AM
CF Veteran

Received 292 Likes on 248 Posts
Year: 89
Engine: Peddles

Longer shackle and shackle relocation box both help point the pinion at the transfercase.

Im probly about 4" of lift now stock drive lines. Ive thought about doing a super short sye along with a black box some day.
I might have picked up alittle vibration recently but its likely a broken u joint cup in che front shafts.

If you have the money I'd say do the sye if not dont just run it.
Old 05-12-2021, 11:59 PM

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by Slackdaddy
BTW, love your XJ,, perfect balance for a functional 4x4
Hey, thanks! I hope your quest for offroad mechanical perfection finds you well. I do think that 3" and above on stock driveline components is probably pushing it, especially if you end up lofting the rear wheels at any point in time, but if it doesn't give you any troubles, go for it!