Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lunchbox locker users with manual trans, please step in

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 09:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 374 Likes on 294 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Lunchbox locker users with manual trans, please step in

Alright, so I recently installed a Spartan locker in my 8.25 rear end. Just some questions for those of you with manual trans. I have driven an auto with the same locker and it was a lot different then driving mine. So I want to see if what I am going through is normal, or I put it in wrong.

- After install, did your xj seem to clunk more when shifting? Mostly through the driveshaft.
- Clunk when sitting still and putting it in gear?
- Was it harder to shift?
- When you are making a slow turn (like in to a parking spot) and in gear, slowing down, with the clutch in, does it clunk or click like normal?
- When on the gas, do these things ever unlock? Feels like if I am on the gas at all, I got a spool back there. Guessing thats how it should work.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.6 I6

Originally Posted by 5-Speed
Alright, so I recently installed a Spartan locker in my 8.25 rear end. Just some questions for those of you with manual trans. I have driven an auto with the same locker and it was a lot different then driving mine. So I want to see if what I am going through is normal, or I put it in wrong.

- After install, did your xj seem to clunk more when shifting? Mostly through the driveshaft.
- Was it harder to shift?
- When you are making a slow turn (like in to a parking spot) and in gear, slowing down, with the clutch in, does it clunk or click like normal?
- When on the gas, do these things ever unlock? Feels like if I am on the gas at all, I got a spool back there. Guessing thats how it should work.
Yes there will be lots of clunking. As for turning corners, I usually coast as much as I can. If you give steady throttle, mine will unlock and ratchet as it should but will act like a spool if you mash it.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:00 PM
CF Veteran

If I make a turn in neutral with the clutch out, it ratchets like normal. If I have it in gear with the clutch in, it clunks. Is that normal?
Old 03-17-2017, 06:48 PM

If I make a turn in neutral with the clutch out, it ratchets like normal. If I have it in gear with the clutch in, it clunks. Is that normal?
The clunk you are hearing is probably the backlash in the pinion. With the jeep in neutral parked on level ground, crawl underneath and try to spin the rear driveshaft. I bet that you will be able to rotate it a 1/4 to a 1/2 of a full rotation. That play is not noticeable when you have a torque converter always keeping the driveshaft up under power. Also, that is why taking off from a stop, there is a clunk if you do not feather the clutch early on.
Old 03-17-2017, 10:58 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by shooptube
The clunk you are hearing is probably the backlash in the pinion. With the jeep in neutral parked on level ground, crawl underneath and try to spin the rear driveshaft. I bet that you will be able to rotate it a 1/4 to a 1/2 of a full rotation. That play is not noticeable when you have a torque converter always keeping the driveshaft up under power. Also, that is why taking off from a stop, there is a clunk if you do not feather the clutch early on.
Thanks man. You make me feel better. I figured it had something to do with manual vs. auto but would rather be safe then sorry. If anyone else wants to chime in to verify the same thing, I would appreciate it
Old 03-18-2017, 12:55 AM

Thanks man. You make me feel better. I figured it had something to do with manual vs. auto but would rather be safe then sorry. If anyone else wants to chime in to verify the same thing, I would appreciate it
Yeah no problem man. I could see how just swapping to a manual and suddenly having clunking be rather concerning. Eventually I would like to have a selectable in the rear just so it's nicer to daily but it's fine for now. Especially with a full case Detroit taking the abuse.
Old 03-18-2017, 08:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: 4L, 6 cylinder, 190 hp, 225 ft lp torque

Hey, good morning. Yes to all of your Cherokee's symptoms. When shifting I take my time, shift slowly and let it slip into gear. Also like Shooptube I will coast around corners when I can, a lot of traction back there. I try to take it easy on the whole drive train, want it to last as long as possible. For example, when shifting from first to second I'll carry a little speed, coast and ease the trans into second and so on. I like all of the mannerisms of my Cherokee, it's a piece of machinery being driven. (:

Old 03-19-2017, 09:00 AM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Engine: 4.6 stroker

That trans tunnel is very phallic...LOL
Old 03-19-2017, 01:19 PM

Year: 1985
Engine: 2.5L

-
If it does this when the engine is running but sitting still it sounds like the clutch isn't completely disengaging, but is slightly dragging. My F150 did that when the slave cylinder was going bad, it was allowing the clutch disks to rub on the flywheel even with the pedal to the floor. It will also cause difficulty when shifting while moving, especially in city traffic.
Old 03-19-2017, 03:21 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by jedijeb
If it does this when the engine is running but sitting still it sounds like the clutch isn't completely disengaging, but is slightly dragging. My F150 did that when the slave cylinder was going bad, it was allowing the clutch disks to rub on the flywheel even with the pedal to the floor. It will also cause difficulty when shifting while moving, especially in city traffic.
It did not make the clunk before the locker so I really dont think its the clutch dragging. Its a brand new clutch setup as well. I have not replaced the master or slave on it yet. The clunk does not happen everytime I put it in gear. Just every now and then. Mostly when it seems the locker has a load on it.

Thanks to everyone elses input as well. You guys are making me feel like this is all normal and I just need to start driving a little bit different. Coasting through turns makes it a lot quieter.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:46 PM

Thanks to everyone elses input as well. You guys are making me feel like this is all normal and I just need to start driving a little bit different. Coasting through turns makes it a lot quieter.
No problem man. If you have any more questions about manual transmission questions, let me know.
Old 03-26-2017, 04:21 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Fast starts in wet weather are also fun.
Old 01-13-2018, 11:08 AM
CF Veteran

Received 250 Likes on 168 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

I hate to bump this but yes to all these symptoms. I'm so glad it wasn't just me!

I felt it with an Aussie and a Spartan - AND with a Hurst Short Shifter. I was hoping a Truetrac would help but I sold the rig before I could try. The current owner is running an open diff now.

My current rig is stock and has none of those characteristics. I also think its AX15 is in better shape than my old one.
Old 01-13-2018, 03:10 PM
CF Veteran

No worries on the bump. You had good info to add. I am now up to 8000 miles on mine and have learned how to drive it. I still get the pogo stick effect every now and then but its not that bad. The pros of the locker out weigh the cons.