Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lunchbox locker and regearing

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 09:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Lunchbox locker and regearing

I have a 2001 XJ with a D30 in the front and Chrysler 8.25 in the rear. I want to put a lunchbox locker in the front axle. I think this may do what I need, but I may end up putting a locker in the rear end as well.

My question is, if I decide down the road to re-gear the Jeep, will I have to replace the locker(s) with different ones to match the new gears?

Old 03-25-2013, 10:10 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1998

Pic appears dead. Links to Picasa album. Is that your Jeep? Would love to see more of that Nates4x4 bumper (right?)...Anywho, you shouldn't have to change your locker--possibly just the carrier. I think you'll only need to worry about changing the carrier in the front if you go 3.73 and lower. When getting gears, keep in mind you have the low-pinion D30 in the front unless you or PO swapped it. That means don't order the ones that say "reverse cut"
Old 03-25-2013, 10:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999

I have the same axles under my jeep and I put a locker in the front and if I'm not mistaken the only things the lockers go by is the size of your axle and the number of splines on your axle. So regearing will not require you to change your lockers after you have installed them unless you change your axles.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:46 AM
Former Sponsor

Engine: 4.8

Originally Posted by jeepindude99
... if I'm not mistaken the only things the lockers go by is the size of your axle and the number of splines on your axle. So regearing will not require you to change your lockers after you have installed them unless you change your axles.
Correct.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 93 2 door

the only time you would need to change lockers for a regear is if you put a full locker in the front. the carrier break is 3.73. with a lunchbox locker you dont need to worry about this
Old 03-25-2013, 03:01 PM

Yes, that is my Jeep in the Picasa album, here's another one (I don't know why it won't show up on the forum): https://picasaweb.google.com/1113372...eat=directlink

Can you explain what you mean by the carrier and the carrier break? If I decide to regear and get something lower than 3.73 (which I would, 33-in tires), would I then need a new carrier and a different locker to match?

As you can tell, I don't know much the internal guts on these things.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:02 PM

And yes, that's a Nate's 4x4 bumper on each end and they're awesome. They come unpainted and I used rattle-can bed liner.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:56 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by SCarolinaXJ
And yes, that's a Nate's 4x4 bumper on each end and they're awesome. They come unpainted and I used rattle-can bed liner.
I ordered the same one and it is due to arrive tomorrow. I heard people had good results using Rustoleum Hammered, so I'm going to give that a try.

Can you explain what you mean by the carrier and the carrier break? If I decide to regear and get something lower than 3.73 (which I would, 33-in tires), would I then need a new carrier and a different locker to match?
From http://www.differentials.com/technic...carrier-breaks
The point at which a different carrier is needed is referred to as a “Carrier Break”. The Gear Ratio at which Carrier Breaks occur varies, depending on the type of differential. For example, if you have a Dana 44 axle with a gear ratio of 3.73 and want to install a 3.92 or numerically higher gear set, you will need a different carrier. The Carrier Break for the Dana 44 is therefore referred to as 3.73 / 3.92.

You won't need to change the locker you currently have--just the carrier if you're going to 4.56 or 4.88. The "carrier break" for the Dana 30 is 3.73.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:00 PM

Thanks for all the information, just ordered the locker...hopefully it will take some of the load off my winch.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:38 PM

Bump here with another question. I got the locker put in the front end and it works great offroad. It doesn't behave as well as I expected on pavement, but I can live with it for the little bit of pavement driving I do.

As for the gearing, I want to go to 4.56. Is there a stock Jeep or Durango or anything else out there with 4.56 gears in a Dana 30 and Chrysler 8.25 that I can get from a junkyard?

All sorts of aftermarket folks sell 4.56 gears but they're pretty pricey. The labor to put them in is already going to be pretty high so I'm looking for a cheaper way to get lower gearing.

Thanks--
Old 04-09-2013, 01:41 PM

Year: 1997

http://www.roughcountry.com/gears/jeep-xj.html
These are what I'm getting....pretty cheap with install kits.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:47 PM

I saw those. I was hoping for a junkyard solution if there is one.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:55 PM
CF Veteran

Bump here with another question. I got the locker put in the front end and it works great offroad. It doesn't behave as well as I expected on pavement, but I can live with it for the little bit of pavement driving I do.

As for the gearing, I want to go to 4.56. Is there a stock Jeep or Durango or anything else out there with 4.56 gears in a Dana 30 and Chrysler 8.25 that I can get from a junkyard?

All sorts of aftermarket folks sell 4.56 gears but they're pretty pricey. The labor to put them in is already going to be pretty high so I'm looking for a cheaper way to get lower gearing.

Thanks--
if you can find a 4-banger XJ at a junkyard, some of them had 4.56's. Good luck with that one though!
Old 04-09-2013, 05:25 PM

I put a Lock Right in my F150 a few years ago (8.8 w/3.55 ratio) and put 20,000 miles on it like that in the 7 months afterwards before I sold it. Loved it.

Threw an Aussie into the rear end of my XJ (8.25 w/3.55 ratio) about 9 months ago. Your fine regearing afterwards but I will say if your gonna regear, why not take the opportunity to put selectable lockers in?

Personally, I wouldn't do a front auto locker. I'd go with selectable but thats just me.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks--
Mine behaves awesome but if I turn at an intersection quick and sharp or if I turn sharp in a parking lot it will jump around and misbehave lol... Is your front end aligned correctly?

Quick Reply: Lunchbox locker and regearing