Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loud growling noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 09:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Loud growling noise

What's up guys, got a 2000 Cherokee 4.5" lift and it's making a real loud growling noise that gets worse as speed increases ( sounds kinda like wah wah wah wha, and keeps getting louder the faster I go). I put the lift on about a year ago but it started doing this about 2 months ago. Wasn't too bad at first but now it's real bad. I could feel the vibration through the whole Jeep and it howls like crazy. Thought it was a u-joint on the front driveshaft because it had quite a bit of play but when I took it off it still does it. Rear u-joints have no play. Front and rear pinions have no play that I could tell. Rear pinion seal is leaking a little but nothing bad. Front wheel bearings are good. It quiets down some when taking a long left turn at speed but as soon as I come out of the corner it's back. I've been doing some reading and some say pinion bearings, some say carrier bearings, transfer case, but nobody seemed to follow up with what the problem was. There's a little play in the front axle shaft u-joints but this doesn't sound like a u-joint at all. Seems like a bad bearing to me I just don't know where. To me it sounds like it might be coming from drivers side front but everything's good there that I can tell. I have a spare t-case with only 50k on it that I was gonna put a SYE in that I could throw in but it's cold as hell out and I don't have a garage. I just don't want to be replacing things one by one trying to figure it out. Anyone with a similar problem have any idea of what it could be? Also I took it out the woods for a little cruise in the snow the other day and it got worse when I really stomped on it in 4wd. I could feel it got a little rougher when in 4 but only when I really stomped on it.