Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for a shop in SE New Hampshire...

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 09:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Looking for a shop in SE New Hampshire...

Hey all,

I'm pretty new to Jeeps in general and Cherokees in particular. My 16-y-o got into them and we found him a decent 2-dr with a mild lift ... which promptly burned to the ground after two weeks. Took some time looking and finally found a nice older XJ, lifted but otherwise mostly stock mechanically. I've been posting in the "non-modified" section so far because my questions have had to do with the still-stock components.

One reason we decided to go with the Jeep is because my baby boy is moving 2000 miles away to New Hampshire in a couple of weeks to play hockey. So I figure something that can get around in the winter months is a good thing. Unfortunately, if something breaks on this truck while he's up there, I can't just fly up there to fix it. If I had a good shop in the Nashua area that I could count on to handle things without bankrupting me, that'd be a huge load off of my shoulders. Any thoughts?

Oh, here's a pic for grins...
Old 08-02-2017, 10:31 AM

Default Shop in Epsom

There is a shop , Jeep Country in Epsom NH. Justin is the mechanic there. You'll be happy with the service .

It's the closest to s. NH that services mostly jeeps only .
Old 08-02-2017, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by sfmadmax
There is a shop , Jeep Country in Epsom NH. Justin is the mechanic there. You'll be happy with the service .

It's the closest to s. NH that services mostly jeeps only .
Awesome! My wife is going up there with him, so I'll have her stop by and have his XJ looked over after the trip. Thanks!
Old 08-02-2017, 01:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 227 Likes on 177 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L

Are you looking for offroad shops or just a trustworthy mechanic?

Steve's Jeep Country is a very reputable offroad shop in the area. Another that I highly recommend is Elias 4wd Center in Townsend, MA, just over the border. These guys have always treated me well. A third offroad shop is Black Widow Customs in Manchester. I've never dealth with them personally but I've never heard anything negative about them.

As far as regular shops, they're EVERYWHERE. Find one that is close and has good ratings. I swear by my local shop, Medlyn Motor in Milford but they're also a mile from my house and my family has been doing business with them for longer than I've been alive. They do everything but specialize in Jeeps. They were a dealer a few years back.
Old 08-02-2017, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by XJlimitedx99
Are you looking for offroad shops or just a trustworthy mechanic?

Steve's Jeep Country is a very reputable offroad shop in the area. Another that I highly recommend is Elias 4wd Center in Townsend, MA, just over the border. These guys have always treated me well. A third offroad shop is Black Widow Customs in Manchester. I've never dealth with them personally but I've never heard anything negative about them.

As far as regular shops, they're EVERYWHERE. Find one that is close and has good ratings. I swear by my local shop, Medlyn Motor in Milford but they're also a mile from my house and my family has been doing business with them for longer than I've been alive. They do everything but specialize in Jeeps. They were a dealer a few years back.
Oh, I'm not at all locked into 'offroad shops'. It's nice to know a good, reputable one that can help with a lifted XJ, but a good general mechanic that's trustworthy would handle most of what I need. Milford is considerably closer, so that's definitely one to check out.
Old 08-02-2017, 03:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 227 Likes on 177 Posts
Engine: 4.0 L

Originally Posted by kerensky
Oh, I'm not at all locked into 'offroad shops'. It's nice to know a good, reputable one that can help with a lifted XJ, but a good general mechanic that's trustworthy would handle most of what I need. Milford is considerably closer, so that's definitely one to check out.
There's gotta be 1000 shops within a 25 mile radius of nashua. Pick a close one that leaves that warm fuzzy feelin inside.

Also, this ain't modified tech. This probably should've been in the regional forums but those don't get much traffic (atleast not the NE area) so cherokee chat probably would've been the better choice to post this thread.
Old 08-02-2017, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by XJlimitedx99
There's gotta be 1000 shops within a 25 mile radius of nashua. Pick a close one that leaves that warm fuzzy feelin inside.

Also, this ain't modified tech. This probably should've been in the regional forums but those don't get much traffic (atleast not the NE area) so cherokee chat probably would've been the better choice to post this thread.
Well, some of this truck is modified, so my initial question was aimed at something more Jeep-specific. It's good to have both.

As for just picking one, I'm not going to be there - kinda hard to get the warm fuzzies over the phone. Thus the seeking of advice
Old 08-02-2017, 05:08 PM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Year: 89
Engine: Renix 4.0

It may be too late, but if you want him to become a responsible adult, stop referring to your college aged son as your "baby boy". Also, cut the umbilical. Stop bailing him out.

Of course it's likely you want him to be dependant on you, to stroke your ego and to compensate for your fears of being alone.

Holy **** I'm glad my parents didn't treat me like that. What a mess...
Old 08-03-2017, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by ElMartillo
It may be too late, but if you want him to become a responsible adult, stop referring to your college aged son as your "baby boy". Also, cut the umbilical. Stop bailing him out.

Of course it's likely you want him to be dependant on you, to stroke your ego and to compensate for your fears of being alone.

Nice assumption, dude. I said in the original post, he's sixteen. Not "college-age". He's a junior in high school. And quite frankly, he's gonna be fine, it's me that needs a freaking tranquilizer. Not because I don't want to be alone, but since he isn't "on his own" yet *I* am on the hook for anything that goes wrong. And one of those big worries is him being 2000 miles from home with an old Jeep. So pardon the **** out of me for wanting to find a trustworthy shop ahead of time rather than simply trusting that everything will "work out".

Lemme guess. You've never had kids, but just love to tell everyone else how they should raise theirs. Or are you one of these guys that look at it like "I provide a roof and three squares. When you turn 18, you're on your own. Good luck."

Internet. There's gotta be an **** in every crowd.
Old 08-03-2017, 11:19 AM

/me gets the popcorn !!!
Old 08-03-2017, 12:03 PM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Year: 89
Engine: Renix 4.0

Originally Posted by kerensky
Nice assumption, dude. I said in the original post, he's sixteen. Not "college-age". He's a junior in high school. And quite frankly, he's gonna be fine, it's me that needs a freaking tranquilizer. Not because I don't want to be alone, but since he isn't "on his own" yet *I* am on the hook for anything that goes wrong. And one of those big worries is him being 2000 miles from home with an old Jeep. So pardon the **** out of me for wanting to find a trustworthy shop ahead of time rather than simply trusting that everything will "work out".

Lemme guess. You've never had kids, but just love to tell everyone else how they should raise theirs. Or are you one of these guys that look at it like "I provide a roof and three squares. When you turn 18, you're on your own. Good luck."

Internet. There's gotta be an **** in every crowd.
Hmm. I sense that you're upset. Perhaps you recognize some truth in my statements?

Are you done with your temper tantrum, baby boy?

This is a public forum, dude. The world is full of people with differing perspectives than your own. Better to learn that lesson late than never.

It would have been more fitting to close your reply with "Mirrors, there's gotta be an **** in every one."

I'm out!
Old 08-03-2017, 12:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Engine: 4.0

yeesh someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. My dad is the exact same way. I'm 22....not dependant on him. I do my own thing, grew up just fine.I'm his baby boy cuz, well you know We are a couple decades a part so to him I will always be a baby ha! We are close, probably like the op and his son are. He just likes to help out. Maybe his son asked his dad if he knew of anyone that coukd help? Kinda like i woukd ask my dad if something happened that I wasn't sure of. Hell all my friends I grew up with have their parents the exact same way. They are there to help and guide. Hell one of my friends is 29. Ig he does some ****ed up **** he'll hear about it from his parents, because parents are constantly on the look out for their kids. Even my grandpa is the same with my dad.

What a ****ed up comment to post. Stroke his ego? Lol

Last edited by Martlor13; 08-03-2017 at 12:21 PM.
Old 08-03-2017, 12:38 PM

Hmm. I sense that you're upset. Perhaps you recognize some truth in my statements?

Are you done with your temper tantrum, baby boy?

This is a public forum, dude. The world is full of people with differing perspectives than your own. Better to learn that lesson late than never.

It would have been more fitting to close your reply with "Mirrors, there's gotta be an **** in every one."

I'm out!
Actually, you really couldn't be farther from the truth, but no amount of me saying so would ever convince you at this point. I'm well aware that all opinions will be heard in a public forum. Just didn't expect to be treated so shabbily for asking for shop recommendations. If you were truly concerned and trying to "help" this response would've been an apology. Instead its just more trollish behavior. No worries.

Last edited by kerensky; 08-03-2017 at 12:45 PM.
Old 08-03-2017, 03:01 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990

Okay, everybody get their big boy pants or big girl panties on and move forward.
Old 08-03-2017, 03:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cruiser54
Okay, everybody get their big boy pants or big girl panties on and move forward.
Aye yie captain!