Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

looking for recommendations rear bumper swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 05:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 2.5L 4-cyl
Question looking for recommendations rear bumper swap

I have a 1987, stock, that I bought new. She is now in the process of having some mid-life changes. I am wanting to move the spare tire to the outside to have more space in the rear cargo area. I want a external tire carrier with the ability to mount a jerry can as well. I have read, and heard, some not too kind words about the Smittybilt XRC rear bumper, though from the looks of it, it has what I would like. Any suggestions for those of you have who have already traveled this road? Obviously, my budget is limited, but I am willing to put off the swap until I can get something that I won't regret. Thanks is advance for any and all responses.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.6 I6

First question, can you weld? If you can, you can build a swingout kit for about $500 that will hold a jerry can. Dirtbound offroad has two options for tire carrier bumpers that will hold jerry cans. JCR's tire carrier while expensive is build very stout and shouldnt give you any issues as well.
Old 03-25-2017, 01:51 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Honestly Smittybilt is the cheapest rear tire carrier i would run myself.The cheaper ones you find are from companies i do not trust at all,They either take 6 months to send you your stuff if at all.Or the design lacks the extra brackets and support a tire carrier needs for the weight.The rest out there your looking a grand and more depending who made it.Teh jcr off road one is about 1300 bucks but is tough as nails and you can get the RotoPax brackets added on for 70 bucks those you can get RotoPax 2 gallon cans or anything RotoPax offers.
Old 03-25-2017, 08:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0l

The smittybilt bumper is not that bad. There are better bumpers out there but they cost more. I have had mine for 2 years and it does what is supposed to.
Old 03-25-2017, 12:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.6 I6

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
Honestly Smittybilt is the cheapest rear tire carrier i would run myself.The cheaper ones you find are from companies i do not trust at all,They either take 6 months to send you your stuff if at all.Or the design lacks the extra brackets and support a tire carrier needs for the weight.The rest out there your looking a grand and more depending who made it.Teh jcr off road one is about 1300 bucks but is tough as nails and you can get the RotoPax brackets added on for 70 bucks those you can get RotoPax 2 gallon cans or anything RotoPax offers.
That's funny because my bumper from dirtbound shipped in 2 weeks and has in frame tie in brackets... Gotta read up a bit more man.
Old 03-25-2017, 01:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

I'm in process of building my own. I've got maybe $200 in materials into it and it's exactly like I want it. Don't ask how much I've got into the tooling or time invested.
Old 03-25-2017, 06:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by by921
The smittybilt bumper is not that bad. There are better bumpers out there but they cost more. I have had mine for 2 years and it does what is supposed to.
Do they all have the tire stick out like that? I guess I've never really paid much attention, but that looks awkward.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0l

Originally Posted by Martlor13
Do they all have the tire stick out like that? I guess I've never really paid much attention, but that looks awkward.
no it comes straight up and down.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:44 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by shooptube
That's funny because my bumper from dirtbound shipped in 2 weeks and has in frame tie in brackets... Gotta read up a bit more man.
I wasn't talking about dirtbound they cost more then the smittybilt last time i checked.I'm talking about some of those ebay bumper companies like logans that take a year to send you stuff if at all.