Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for Answers...

Old 01-22-2013, 10:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Looking for Answers...

Im new to Lifts and I wanna lift the truck im buying. I had an XJ for my first truck when I was 16. Best car I ever owned. It was 2wd but I still managed to go wheelin with buddies haha. I want another one and have one lined up to buy. Its a 94 sport 4x4 5spd. 242408 on the clock but very well maintained. I know how to swing a wrench and I know a fair amount about XJ's being a previous owner. What I need help with is lifting it. I cant figure out if I want 6.5'', 5" or 4.5''. Brands Im considering are IRO, RE, and RC. I know I want long arms and Ill be getting an SYE and new rear drive shaft to go with it. Also seen I should get an Adjustable track bar and quick disconnects. I Kno what the trac bar is but what are the disconnects? I want a very capable rig that is still streetable as this will serve as my daily for a while. Lift prolly wont go on for 6 months to a yr. Im just trying to get my info as of now. I know the higher I go the more I'll need to modify. Everywhere I read tho im getting different info. I want some solid info so I know what Im getting into. Also if someone can shed some light on the advantages of going with a D44 or chrysler 8.25 rear vs d35. Thanx in advance
-Ivan
Old 01-22-2013, 11:49 PM

I'm going with a 4.5 x series from rough country. A lot of people on here will probably say rough country sucks, but for me I don't do a lot of hard wheeling. My jeep is my dd. The rc kit comes with adj trac bar, adj upper and lower control arms, and swaybar discos. The quick discos are for offroading only, you want it connected while driving on road. Disconnected gives you more flex. Remember taller lift doesn't mean better performing.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:51 PM

I won't talk about the axles.. I don't know enough really. Other than if you have a d35 throw it away and get a 29spline 8.25

With the lift that's whatever you want to make it.. What size tire do you want to run? Lockers? You're probably going to have to regear so you have to take that into consideration too. There's just too many variables to give someone a straight answer.

If you want an idea on a COMPLETE lift kit and what that costs (with long arms)
http://www.seriousoffroadproducts.co...-NP231J-T-case
Old 01-23-2013, 12:54 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

My ideal lift:
3 inch rock krawler, comes with all you need to go bigger if you want
30 inch definity MT's
axles off an 87 XJ (dana 44)
EZ locker in front, and an Auburn EDTC in back
I am going this route to avoid cutting, having to backspace my wheels, and making driveline mods.
The axles are how much work do you want to do to them? the Dana 44 is a widely used axle in the 4x4 community and gearing parts are readily available. The chrysler 8.25 is comprable to the 44 with parts being specific to that axle. The Dana 35 if you wish to keep it needs to be worked on in order to meet the need, and can handle up to 33's if treated right. the Dana 35D is supposed to be trash, no matter what you do to it. Axle spline count carries weight in that the more splines an axle has the larger it is (for the most part) and this is a good thing. The long arm kits as I have heard can get a little wobbly in a DD.
But what you want or need in a lift is solely up to you. Just remember you can be small and still go big.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:09 AM

I know bigger doesnt mean better per say. I just like that look when it comes to lifts. As for performance (not that I know anything just saying lol) I have heard the long arms are better street ability in regards to wobble/creep? I would assume im going to want a better steering stabilizer also. I wont be doing any too hard core off roading however I do try to go big or go home so I want a solid rig haha. I wanna run 33s I think. I dont really see a need for bigger plus they cost a small fortune haha. Thank u for the explanation on quick discs. I was right in my figuring just wanted to be sure. Also what are lockers? My assumption is locking differentials? As for asxels is the c8.25 better then the d44 and how readily available are they?

The look Im going for is this. I love this guys jeep (also how I stumbled upon this forum haha)

Last edited by Ivank88; 01-23-2013 at 03:18 AM.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:29 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

The 8.25 is a chrysler axle and when they started using them IDK, but they are not as rare as the 44 in XJ's. The 44 is only found in the 87-88 XJ's with for the most part a tow package, so they are kinda rare. Me I am not a huge chrysler fan (that's why my XJ says AMC) I would go for the 44, but I have experience with the 44 and not the 8.25.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by highmileage
The 8.25 is a chrysler axle and when they started using them IDK, but they are not as rare as the 44 in XJ's. The 44 is only found in the 87-88 XJ's with for the most part a tow package, so they are kinda rare. Me I am not a huge chrysler fan (that's why my XJ says AMC) I would go for the 44, but I have experience with the 44 and not the 8.25.
The 29spline 8.25 is just as strong as the XJ D44 if not stronger, And very easy to come by, it's used in majority of the 97-01 XJ's
Old 01-23-2013, 08:47 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2001

Long arms give you a better control arm angle giving you a smoother ride and better articulation. From having a short arm lift and going to long arms I can say that it is well worth the money. It sounds like you'd do well with a 4.5" lift on 33's. Though at that height there and tire size are a couple things to consider. You MAY be able to get away with a transfer case drop to help your driveline angle, but a slip yoke eliminator kit would be far better. With 33" tires you'd be better off re gearing your tires so it's not as slow and your gas mileage doesn't suffer too much. Plus long arms are a lot more work. I've got the Rough Country 6.5" long arm kit, Tom Woods driveshaft and SYE, and 35" tires. Lots of work, and highly rewarding. I suggest reading the all lift and tire questions thread. That'll give you many different perspectives to get info from.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:01 PM

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0L Renix and tube header

Whatever you do.... Don't go cheap and you won't regret it!!
Old 01-23-2013, 09:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by gilbertxj466
I can agree to a degree, however if he is resourceful and pieces together a kit using individual components from the premium lift manufactures he can do it cheaper the kit outright
Old 01-23-2013, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by gilbertxj466
Im moving back to jeeps from a 4 yr stint in the tuner world lol. I dropped 7k into making my honda (95 prelude) run mid 14s with bolt ons haha. I dont do cheap. I'd rather spend money n do it right so I dont have to do it again.

Originally Posted by 99superjeep01
Long arms give you a better control arm angle giving you a smoother ride and better articulation. From having a short arm lift and going to long arms I can say that it is well worth the money. It sounds like you'd do well with a 4.5" lift on 33's. Though at that height there and tire size are a couple things to consider. You MAY be able to get away with a transfer case drop to help your driveline angle, but a slip yoke eliminator kit would be far better. With 33" tires you'd be better off re gearing your tires so it's not as slow and your gas mileage doesn't suffer too much. Plus long arms are a lot more work. I've got the Rough Country 6.5" long arm kit, Tom Woods driveshaft and SYE, and 35" tires. Lots of work, and highly rewarding. I suggest reading the all lift and tire questions thread. That'll give you many different perspectives to get info from.
Hieght wise I want 6.5" but from my research the gap (in parts/price) with things ill need to make it proper jacks the price way up in comparison to the 4.5''. I'll def go with an SYE. From what I've read and my basic understanding a TC drop is kind of pointless? U lift for more ground clearance/flex so y lower the TC? lol. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here. Just out of curiousity what type of mileage are u getting with ur setup and what gears are u running?

Originally Posted by Tom95YJ
The 29spline 8.25 is just as strong as the XJ D44 if not stronger, And very easy to come by, it's used in majority of the 97-01 XJ's
Of the 2 I would assume this has more parts readily available then? If this is the case I'll be more prone to this option

Last edited by Ivank88; 01-24-2013 at 12:01 AM.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:35 AM

Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0L I6

I found this thread helpful. I know this is oriented more towards making a budget boost but it helps illustrate what stuff needs attention as your height increases. Personally i started out knowing nothing and it seemed to help define each component of the suspension. also check out lunghd.com
Old 01-24-2013, 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by PsychoSMurf
I found this thread helpful. I know this is oriented more towards making a budget boost but it helps illustrate what stuff needs attention as your height increases. Personally i started out knowing nothing and it seemed to help define each component of the suspension. also check out lunghd.com
Did u mean to post a link? If so i dont see one lol. Thanx for the address tho
Old 01-24-2013, 06:28 AM
CF Veteran

I just put my 35's on last week with stock gearing and it's about 13 MPG. The rpm's and shift points are way off. However next week I'll be swapping in 4.88 gears. I expect a good increase in mileage and performance. I'll post back with info once I drive it for a few days. As for the tc drop, it is kinda dumb. But it's a far cheaper alternative for those who want lift but don't off road as much.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:32 AM
CF Veteran

And steering! The angles are terrible at 6.5" and I plan on getting the IRO kit asap.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Looking for Answers...