Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lockers

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 12:52 AM
CF Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 99
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default Lockers

Lockers-

looking at lockers select able vs true trac. hpd30 c8.25

I need some differentiation if you can help.

Front Hp D30:

Eaton select-able locker is a a full lock when locked but a LSD when its not, how does it maintain LSD when not on? Do any other companies make this combo?
or
Detroit true trac...

Rear 29 spline C8.25:

ARB Vs OX.
Arb enough said i think (pump, solenoid, locker), ox can be locked without any air, elec, or manual lever.

tt or selec table front and select able rear what can you all say for the performance of each? no clunkchbox lockers
Old 09-30-2016, 05:31 AM
CF Veteran

Received 250 Likes on 168 Posts
Year: 1999

Where are you reading that an Eaton e-locker is a LSD when unlocked? According to Eaton, and everything I've ever read about them, they're open when off, and spooled when on.

True trac's aren't traditional lockers. They're gear type limited slips.

Ox lockers are interesting because they're very versatile in how you can turn them on and off. You can't lock them without any air, electric wiring, or manual levers - there has to be one of those methods involved to activate the Ox.

What kind of wheeling do you do? If you can pony up for it, just do selectables front and rear. If you can't, do a Truetrac rear, selectable front.
Old 09-30-2016, 06:01 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee

If you do any rock crawling at all go with a selectable locker. You will hate having a true trac.
Old 09-30-2016, 08:05 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 98
Engine: 6 cyl.

detriot rear, e- locker front works great for me. e-locker is open or fully locker , no in between. true trac is lame for real wheelin', had them once sold them soon after.
Old 09-30-2016, 10:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L I6

Think the OP is maybe talking about the Auburn Ected locker, which is a clutch-type LSD when unlocked and a locker when locked. Seems like a neat idea for the rear, not that they make one for the 8.25.
Old 09-30-2016, 11:08 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

One of the better combo's are the Eaton E-Locker in the D30 and a Detroit Locker in the Chy 8.25, I run Detroit's in both in mine D30/Chy 8.25.
Old 09-30-2016, 03:32 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.6 I6

I have a Detroit in the rear and a lock rite up front. Both auto lockers. Haven't had any issues yet.
Old 09-30-2016, 07:48 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by EvstaG
Think the OP is maybe talking about the Auburn Ected locker, which is a clutch-type LSD when unlocked and a locker when locked. Seems like a neat idea for the rear, not that they make one for the 8.25.
My bad I was thinking of the ected and it is not an option for the 8.25
Old 09-30-2016, 07:51 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
One of the better combo's are the Eaton E-Locker in the D30 and a Detroit Locker in the Chy 8.25, I run Detroit's in both in mine D30/Chy 8.25.
I have the np242 so the front needs to be trude Trac or selectable. I was thinking Detroit in the rear but I read it's not favorable for a DD
Old 09-30-2016, 07:56 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.6 I6

Originally Posted by 4x4jeepmanthing

I have the np242 so the front needs to be trude Trac or selectable. I was thinking Detroit in the rear but I read it's not favorable for a DD
Everyone says the a Detroit is not favorable for a daily but I have no complaints. Once you learn how to drive with it, you will be surprised at how much more traction you will get. I have a 5 speed and an Detroit which everyone says is the worst but I can't even tell its there.
Old 09-30-2016, 08:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by Battle
Ox lockers are interesting because they're very versatile in how you can turn them on and off. You can't lock them without any air, electric wiring, or manual levers - there has to be one of those methods involved to activate the Ox.
Actually, I went with OX Lockers front and rear (HP D30 and C8.25, 4.56 both) for what they call the "Drive Away Lock" feature. Mine are air activated, but it works with their air, manual or electric systems. If the pump fails, or a line gets busted, and you are in the middle of an obstacle, you can remove the air line, or cable, in the diff cover and insert a spring and bolt, and lock the rear until you get to flatter terrain, then remove the "Drive Away Lock," and drive home open. Their website includes a video...btw, this is an uncompensated endorsement..

h tee tee p://www.ox-usa.com/lockers/15-amc-20.html?search_query=drive+awa&results=1

Having seen too many compressors fail at just the wrong time, then miraculously start working perfectly again once through the "hard part," this feature sold me.

[I am not sure about the posting links rules so replace the "tee" with "t" if interested]
Old 10-01-2016, 12:42 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by exFJGuy
Actually, I went with OX Lockers front and rear (HP D30 and C8.25, 4.56 both) for what they call the "Drive Away Lock" feature. Mine are air activated, but it works with their air, manual or electric systems. If the pump fails, or a line gets busted, and you are in the middle of an obstacle, you can remove the air line, or cable, in the diff cover and insert a spring and bolt, and lock the rear until you get to flatter terrain, then remove the "Drive Away Lock," and drive home open. Their website includes a video...btw, this is an uncompensated endorsement..

h tee tee p://www.ox-usa.com/lockers/15-amc-20.html?search_query=drive+awa&results=1

Having seen too many compressors fail at just the wrong time, then miraculously start working perfectly again once through the "hard part," this feature sold me.

[I am not sure about the posting links rules so replace the "tee" with "t" if interested]
That is exactly the explanation I mean when saying they can be locked without air elec or lever. How do you like the response in their locking with the air?
Old 10-01-2016, 12:53 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by shooptube
Everyone says the a Detroit is not favorable for a daily but I have no complaints. Once you learn how to drive with it, you will be surprised at how much more traction you will get. I have a 5 speed and an Detroit which everyone says is the worst but I can't even tell its there.
How do you have to learn to drive with an auto locker? No gas on turns... or no romping... I know they work if you work with them, but for auto lockers hinder you on road driving manners? If they didn't why are selectable lockers available. Speaking without driving experience on a Detroit locker, they seem to be the best solution to an always locked differential(auto locking). Lunchbox are too coarse it seems typically. If the gas pedal is down you've created a short term spool yes? I don't want to wander lanes or peel out off a slanted trail.

Just my thoughts fill in as you see fit
Old 10-01-2016, 05:34 AM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand

Originally Posted by exFJGuy

http://www.ox-usa.com/lockers/15-amc...+awa&results=1

There! I fixed it for ya!

Or better yet, do it the right way: Drive Away Lock.
Old 10-01-2016, 06:41 AM
CF Veteran

Received 250 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by 4x4jeepmanthing
How do you have to learn to drive with an auto locker? No gas on turns... or no romping... I know they work if you work with them, but for auto lockers hinder you on road driving manners? If they didn't why are selectable lockers available. Speaking without driving experience on a Detroit locker, they seem to be the best solution to an always locked differential(auto locking). Lunchbox are too coarse it seems typically. If the gas pedal is down you've created a short term spool yes? I don't want to wander lanes or peel out off a slanted trail.

Just my thoughts fill in as you see fit
You're not incorrect in your thinking at all. Under load, they do create a short term spool, but how they react to throttle inputs varies by manufacturer and condition. I, like shoop, have auto lockers (Spartans) with a stick. The D30 needed preload adjustments to behave reasonable on full lock turns, and I've had to experiment with various gear oil viscosities in the 8.25 to get it to be less violent about unlocking. While it's okay now, I've gotten tired of their behavior and plan to remove both for Eaton e lockers. I wheel my rig pretty hard when it does hit trails, but I also have to drive long distances to get anywhere good.

If you can find someone with auto lockers, I would try and drive it. It's weird, you will grab people's attention in parking lots and you may experience some torque steer, but it's not impossible to manage. Plus, they do come with the benefit of allowing awesome drifting and peel outs.

Quick Reply: Lockers