Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lockers???

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 03:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default lockers???

Are lockers worth getting? If so how do i know what ones to get
Old 07-25-2013, 05:46 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1992
Model: Comanche

Yes they're worth getting. & yes you should google the information and figure which locker would be best for YOU.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:18 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999

Just my opinion but if you are asking if lockers are worth getting you probably haven't been in a situation that that you really need lockers and the answer would be no they are not worth getting. Once you get stuck with open diffs a few times you will be wanting to put lockers in as soon as possible. So far as what kind to buy it really depends on what your budget is and if your jeep is a dd or not. Air lockers are the best way to go as you can engage and disengage them with the flip of a switch. This means open diffs on the road for good road manor and locked on the trail. They are also the most expensive kind. If you are on a budget and don't mind a little bit of noise you can go with lunchbox style lockers. These lock when power is applied to the wheels, which can be noisy, but they are also the cheapest.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:03 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by jmm0122_
Air lockers are the best way to go as you can engage and disengage them with the flip of a switch. This means open diffs on the road for good road manor and locked on the trail. They are also the most expensive kind. If you are on a budget and don't mind a little bit of noise you can go with lunchbox style lockers. These lock when power is applied to the wheels, which can be noisy, but they are also the cheapest.
While I agree with the first part that if you have to ask, then you dont need them yet, I do disagree with this part.

its not just air lockers that are selectable. There are OX(cable based) and Electric lockers aswell.

Personally I prefer the OX because if cables break or whatever you can toss a screw(provided) into the fitting and it'll force the diff locked the same way as if it was still selectable. Gets you out of a tight situation when your air hoses have been mangled for some reason.

My type of wheeling requires eliminating weak links, and the air lines/pump required for ARB air lockers represent a weak link to me.

Thats just my 2 cents.

But keep in mind, there are several manufacturers of selectable lockers, not just the ARB air locker.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:25 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by OttawaXJ
While I agree with the first part that if you have to ask, then you dont need them yet, I do disagree with this part.

its not just air lockers that are selectable. There are OX(cable based) and Electric lockers aswell.

Personally I prefer the OX because if cables break or whatever you can toss a screw(provided) into the fitting and it'll force the diff locked the same way as if it was still selectable. Gets you out of a tight situation when your air hoses have been mangled for some reason.

My type of wheeling requires eliminating weak links, and the air lines/pump required for ARB air lockers represent a weak link to me.

Thats just my 2 cents.

But keep in mind, there are several manufacturers of selectable lockers, not just the ARB air locker.
I did forget about those. I have never run anything but lunchbox and air so I don't have any experience with them.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:28 AM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0, bolt ons for days...

Originally Posted by OttawaXJ

Thats just my 2 cents.

i think the OX cable is more vulnerable to damage than an air line. you can run that air line however you like, whereas the OX cable has to be free of kinks, has to curve wide out of the diff, etc. that being said, i love my OX and its never let me down. i just didnt want to run OBA.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:50 AM
CF Veteran

They're worth getting if you put the Jeep in places where you need the extra traction. I did a lot with open diffs in mine, but there were obstacles I couldn't get over open, so I Lincoln locked my rear axle. Made a huge difference offroad, well worth it. As soon as I can, I'm putting a Lock Rite locker in the front too, it will only make the Jeep more capable.
If most of your driving is on the street and you don't wheel it hard though, open diffs are fine. You'd know it if lockers would be worth getting, since you're asking, you probably don't need them.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:33 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by kirknd4spd
They're worth getting if you put the Jeep in places where you need the extra traction. I did a lot with open diffs in mine, but there were obstacles I couldn't get over open, so I Lincoln locked my rear axle. Made a huge difference offroad, well worth it. As soon as I can, I'm putting a Lock Rite locker in the front too, it will only make the Jeep more capable.
If most of your driving is on the street and you don't wheel it hard though, open diffs are fine. You'd know it if lockers would be worth getting, since you're asking, you probably don't need them.
Spot on.

I am always an advocate of suspension over lockers. A. its cheaper, B. It should be done anyways.

Lockers? Yea they will take you places. But if you have never ran into a situation where you needed them, do you really need them?
Old 07-25-2013, 09:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 93 2 door

if you're having to use a lot of skinny pedal to get over obstacles or your spinning tires when its unnecessary, I say it's time for a front locker. I'd rather be walking over rocks than trying to bounce over them

spin spin SUDDEN TRACTION = no good

or if you're not having that sort of trouble, worry about lockers later
Old 07-25-2013, 09:54 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1994
Engine: Inline 6 4.0L High Output

Originally Posted by Atmos
if you're having to use a lot of skinny pedal to get over obstacles or your spinning tires when its unnecessary, I say it's time for a front locker. I'd rather be walking over rocks than trying to bounce over them

spin spin SUDDEN TRACTION = no good

or if you're not having that sort of trouble, worry about lockers later
This.

Especially if you aren't geared enough and your tires size and weight will play into this too.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:32 AM
Former Sponsor

YouTube "OX Locker Review" - I am a differential guy myself and after years of using, abusing, installing and repairing.... the integrated air shift OX is by far the best selectable locker out there. The air is confined to the cover via pushlock fitting and does not require drilling into the housing or the use of a seal housing with o rings or the copper tube with the bulk head fitting (ARB & ZIP). If something was to fail from the air source (whatever you want that is 85 psi) then you simply insert the "OX drive away lock"....if you need it. The OX will default to "open" but if you need a locked diff to get out of somewhere, the option is there manually.

The install is much easier as its just a normal carrier install.

USA Made 100%

Includes a nodular iron cover

No disassembly of the entire axle to an air leak (again...air only enters the cover)

While the cable seems like a great idea..... they aren't. They rust, stretch, require constant adjustment and they have a lot of resistance so it takes the 4 internal springs in the OX much longer to push everything back so it can unlock. With air there is no resistance at all the second the air is bled out. This results in automatic unlocking. That's good when you don't have 10-100 feet to allow the OX to unlock. The cable design just isn't the way to go despite what common sense tells you.

Watch the YOUTUBE video I did.

Jeff
sales@rockridge4wd.com
www.rockridge4wd.com
www.facebook.com/rockridge4wd. - GO LIKE OUR PAGE PLEASE
Old 07-26-2013, 09:03 AM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee

Wish I had lockers, might have not gotten stuck 15 minutes before a storm surge.

[/URL]
[/URL]
[/URL]
Old 07-26-2013, 09:08 AM
Beach Bum

The next day only the roof rack was visible. And it had turned 180 degrees. The back end floated and pivoted around to face the storm. If I had left it in Neutral it might of washed in.
Cherokee Island.

[/URL]
[/URL]

Last edited by SteveMongr; 07-26-2013 at 09:53 AM. Reason: info
Old 07-26-2013, 09:38 AM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by SteveMongr
The next day only the roof rack was visible.
Cherokee Island.
Damn man. How long was it under?
Old 07-26-2013, 09:51 AM
Beach Bum

Originally Posted by Dan91
Damn man. How long was it under?
6 months! No oil slick or sheen. Had it pulled out but did not claim it as mine. Luckily the VIN numbers were rusted out and it had no license plate or paperwork.
Learned my lesson.

Quick Reply: lockers???