Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lizard skin

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 09:39 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 High Outout I6
Default Lizard skin

Awhile ago after my jeep was broken into I took all the carpet out of my jeep with the plan to bed line the interior.
My jeep may never be my DD again but it wont be a trailer queen either so I was thinking about the road trips to and from the trail and how noisy the jeep is with no interior.
So my questions:
-has anybody used this lizard skin?
-does bed liner do a pretty good job of sound insulation by itself?
-could I use lizard skin as a base coat and then bed line on top of that?
any thoughts or ideas are awesome
thanks everybody

oh and just incase you dont know what it is heres a link
www.lizardskin.com
Old 03-18-2011, 09:58 PM

Year: '91 2dr Laredo
Engine: 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by Brett
Awhile ago after my jeep was broken into I took all the carpet out of my jeep with the plan to bed line the interior.
My jeep may never be my DD again but it wont be a trailer queen either so I was thinking about the road trips to and from the trail and how noisy the jeep is with no interior.
So my questions:
-has anybody used this lizard skin?
Yes... go insulator and mild noise reduction. Not gonna work very well for what I think you are looking for.

-does bed liner do a pretty good job of sound insulation by itself?
I have bedlined several rigs and yes, it reduces noise some but again, won't accomplish what you want.

-could I use lizard skin as a base coat and then bed line on top of that?
yes you could but wouldn't accomplish what you want.

Better plan is to use something like Second Skin Damplifier and then bedline over it. MUCH better insulation and sound damping properties.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:58 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/showt...Skin-tub-liner

^^decent write-up i bookmarked a while back, done on a TJ....same basic principles that'd apply to coating an XJ

Lizard Skin looks/sounds to be quite legit....they've got 2 variations of the stuff....1 more focused for sound deadening, & another focused for thermal insulation....& i'm pretty sure i've read they can be used together.....first layer of sound deadening then thermal on top....not only these factors are addressed, but because u're essentially binding the floor together with this polymer, u're deadening most stray cabin vibrations.....aaaaand yes it is paintable

soon as my money tree starts sproutin, i'll be rippin up the carpet to take care 1. my rust problem, 2. vibrations & heat (w/ lizard skin).....if u end up doing this, definitely take pix of the process to put up here
Old 03-19-2011, 04:07 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 High Outout I6

well after seeing that write up on the lizard skin I will probably use the lizard skin both the sound and the heat products together if the cash flow allows for it i dont know how soon or long it will be until i do it but as soon as i do ill make sure and take lots of pictures and post em up still have lots to figure out with the interior of my jeep and ya'll helped me knock out one decision thanks
Old 03-20-2011, 02:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000.1999,1996
Engine: 4.0

Use the LIzard Skin,use both types.Put the sound deadener down first than the second type of Lizard skin over that, the second TYPE is for heat sheild (30-40%) and then iit is also for rust and moisture prevention and etc.This way you know that they will work together and your not having to buy a bunch of extra crap.