Sponsored by: DashLynx

Went a little insane and chopped part of my door skin off

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 02:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Default Went a little insane and chopped part of my door skin off

Tried to sand some rust down and before i knew it i cut the whole part of the door skin off after sanding it and my finger poking through!! It was spreading fast so it had to be done i just don't know how to fix it I'm thinking of painting it then cutting a license plate out around the whole and screwing it in over the painted area (it'll look ghetto but if it works).!
Attached Thumbnails Went a little insane and chopped part of my door skin off-100_6130.jpg  
Old 09-01-2015, 02:56 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Door skin huh? Better than chopping part of your foreskin off. HEYO.
Old 09-01-2015, 04:37 PM

HAHAHA rofl goodpoint
Originally Posted by RedStar
Door skin huh? Better than chopping part of your foreskin off. HEYO.
Old 09-01-2015, 05:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L H.O.

Originally Posted by 98XJSPORTSATINJADED
I'm thinking of painting it then cutting a license plate out around the whole and screwing it in over the painted area (it'll look ghetto but if it works).!
Oh man, lol.

Don't do that, just creating a new haven for rust. Get all the rust out, hit it good with some self-etching primer, and 'glass it up. If fiberglass is out of your comfort zone, you can mud it. But use liquid metal or kitty hair(or mix em!), don't ghetto out with pink bondo.
Old 09-01-2015, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by TwistedWrench
Oh man, lol.

Don't do that, just creating a new haven for rust. Get all the rust out, hit it good with some self-etching primer, and 'glass it up. If fiberglass is out of your comfort zone, you can mud it. But use liquid metal or kitty hair(or mix em!), don't ghetto out with pink bondo.
Well the issue hear is it took out the corner of the door as well so its like more than a whole what i did was bedliner everything after getting rid of the rust and then bedliner the license plate and then screw it onto the door the bent it around the door like the old skin was. This is just to get me through the winter so i don't have a gaping whole there!! I have no experience in body work at all or welding!!
Old 09-01-2015, 07:15 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0

Well the issue hear is it took out the corner of the door as well so its like more than a whole what i did was bedliner everything after getting rid of the rust and then bedliner the license plate and then screw it onto the door the bent it around the door like the old skin was. This is just to get me through the winter so i don't have a gaping whole there!! I have no experience in body work at all or welding!!
Why don't you just buy a door? They're cheap and bolt right on.
Old 09-01-2015, 07:52 PM

Well because all my moneys going to maintenance not appearance hahaha!! Eventually yes I will get a new door, next year. My jeep underneath has been falling apart first the Leaf springs then the tie rods then the track bar now the control arms I'm scared to fix the control arms because i know whats next and I'm not looking forward to when it happens hahaha
Originally Posted by chipmaker
Why don't you just buy a door? They're cheap and bolt right on.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:04 PM
CF Veteran

Well because all my moneys going to maintenance not appearance hahaha!! Eventually yes I will get a new door, next year. My jeep underneath has been falling apart first the Leaf springs then the tie rods then the track bar now the control arms I'm scared to fix the control arms because i know whats next and I'm not looking forward to when it happens hahaha
Gotcha. Welcome to the XJ. They always go, but to keep them going well will nickel and dime you to death.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:41 PM

Paid 1700 for her and so far put around 1000 into her and i haven't even started my lift yet!!
Gotcha. Welcome to the XJ. They always go, but to keep them going well will nickel and dime you to death.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:51 PM
CF Veteran

Paid 1700 for her and so far put around 1000 into her and i haven't even started my lift yet!!
Haha, xj's are an addiction, you fall in love with them, talk to them, argue with em, sweat and bleed for them, etc. but but most of all you have damn good times in them. I paid 1,800 for mine near 3 yrs ago at last count I'm close to the 7.5-8k range.
Don't regret a thing! FTW!
Old 09-01-2015, 08:58 PM

haha im trying to figure out plans for how i want to build her still im going for a green murdered out look so all black everything except the factory paint on the body
Haha, xj's are an addiction, you fall in love with them, talk to them, argue with em, sweat and bleed for them, etc. but but most of all you have damn good times in them. I paid 1,800 for mine near 3 yrs ago at last count I'm close to the 7.5-8k range.
Don't regret a thing! FTW!
Old 09-01-2015, 09:16 PM
kgm
CF Veteran

Year: 99

I need a right door for my Jeep. Where to find them?! I can't find any locally for some reason.
Old 09-02-2015, 12:48 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I would look for a new door at the junkyard,Just remember the 96 and older had the wing window looking two piece glass.And the 97 up used a single piece of glass for the window.
Old 09-02-2015, 01:12 AM
Banned

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1992

A new door might run you $40 at a junkyard. I say replace it. I understand your budget is tight but doors are cheap
Old 09-02-2015, 05:45 PM

Well for now I bent the license plate around the door and used rtv to seal it it looks okay but definitely makes me wanna replace the door!! Maybe after I pay off my tires and get the control arms and leafs replaced?!? Thats as long as nothing else goes wrong
Originally Posted by 93_xjcherokee
A new door might run you $40 at a junkyard. I say replace it. I understand your budget is tight but doors are cheap

Quick Reply: Went a little insane and chopped part of my door skin off