Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lifting XJ 4.5"

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 10:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default Lifting XJ 4.5"

So I just picked up a new to me stock XJ. It's a 1998, 4.0, 2WD.
Yes, I know, 2WD... It sucks. whatever. Before you all say it, I have used the search function, and been reading for over a week about all different ways to lift and what lifts to use and everything. I want to get people's CURRENT opinion. Most threads I've been reading are 2-3 years old and basically useless imo.

I want to lift it 4.5 inches, and have been looking around, and zone seems to be the best "bang for my buck" I've heard of some people doing the zone lift and then using longer shackles or relocation brackets or something and netting a little extra lift - is this possible, and if so, what exactly do I need?

I'm a total beginner to jeep stuff, and I know I need an SYE and "CV" driveshaft. I've looked at IRO's SYE kit and am probably going to pick that up and a driveshaft somewhere - should I buy a driveshaft from somewhere like Tom Woods?

Also, anything else I need to complete this lift, please let me know. I don't do very hardcore offroading, just occasional mudding and trails. I won't be beating the hell out of this jeep, it's my daily driver.

please don't try and convince me not to lift it or to lift it less, just give me advice on what I need to lift it to 4.5".
Old 12-03-2015, 10:03 AM
Banned

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

The more you lift the more mods you will need. Longer brake lines, adjustable control arms, etc. Zone is a good brand for the money and if you have a high budget, you can look into more expensive kits like Rubicon express, iro, and others. Just do your research and make your own decisions.
Old 12-03-2015, 10:24 AM
CF Veteran

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

The taller the lift the more compromise. especially for a DD. do you NEED 4.5" of lift? or could you get away with a 3-3.5" of lift and not have to compromise so much? what is your end goal?
Old 12-03-2015, 11:03 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1994 SE

I may be mistaken, but the SYE is for the transfer case only, which you don't have, because 2wd.
With that big of a lift you may still need a driveshaft, not sure.
Old 12-03-2015, 11:08 AM
CF Veteran

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by jay_sco
I may be mistaken, but the SYE is for the transfer case only, which you don't have, because 2wd.
With that big of a lift you may still need a driveshaft, not sure.
Correct, SYE is for those who have a transfer case as it has a "S"lip "Y"oke that needs to be "E"liminated.

2wd doesn't have this, and has a longer drive shaft than a 4wd, and so the angles are slightly better, but you can do a transmission mount drop (often called a "t-case" drop which is not entirely accurate since you are actually dropping the transmission. Or get shims for the rear axle to fix angles.
Old 12-03-2015, 03:52 PM

so since its 2WD, should I still use the t-case drop? I've heard that that's basically a "bandaid" for the problem, and the real cure is an SYE. apparently I don't need that, and if so, is a trans mount drop the best option, or will that hurt me and my jeep in the long run?
Old 12-03-2015, 04:03 PM
Banned

You don't need adjustable control arms either with 2wd
Old 12-03-2015, 05:09 PM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee

Originally Posted by 93_xjcherokee
You don't need adjustable control arms either with 2wd
Than how, at 4.5" lift will you dial in wheel base and caster without adjustable uppers or lowers?
Old 12-03-2015, 05:20 PM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee

Originally Posted by j4mison
please don't try and convince me not to lift it or to lift it less, just give me advice on what I need to lift it to 4.5".
Tire size usually determines lift height, along with if fender flares will be kept stock, removed, or aftermarket.
What size tire do you plan on?
Old 12-03-2015, 05:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1994 SE

so since its 2WD, should I still use the t-case drop? I've heard that that's basically a "bandaid" for the problem, and the real cure is an SYE. apparently I don't need that, and if so, is a trans mount drop the best option, or will that hurt me and my jeep in the long run?
Lift it and test drive it, you may not need anything. You may get away with dropping it less than an inch. It varies by each Jeep. There are some people that run that size lift on their 4x with no problems, and no TC drop.
Old 12-03-2015, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by SteveMongr
Tire size usually determines lift height, along with if fender flares will be kept stock, removed, or aftermarket. What size tire do you plan on?
the tire size and or fender trimming would determine my overall height. I want to gain 4.5 inches solely from the lift. any extras gained through tires and or fender trimming is exactly that, extra. sorry if I mislead you.
Old 12-03-2015, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by jay_sco
Lift it and test drive it, you may not need anything. You may get away with dropping it less than an inch. It varies by each Jeep. There are some people that run that size lift on their 4x with no problems, and no TC drop.
well the problem with that is I'm lifting it myself - one, budget reasons, and two, I really want to learn how and work on my own jeep as much as possible. if I did have vibes or problems after lifting, how would I know it was the lack of tcase drop instead of my error installing the lift?
Old 12-03-2015, 07:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SteveMongr
Than how, at 4.5" lift will you dial in wheel base and caster without adjustable uppers or lowers?
The way I see it, longer control arms will do just fine because he doesn't need to adjust for his front pinion angle. No need for adjustables unless you need to adjust front pinion. Am I right?
Old 12-03-2015, 07:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO

Originally Posted by 93_xjcherokee
The way I see it, longer control arms will do just fine because he doesn't need to adjust for his front pinion angle. No need for adjustables unless you need to adjust front pinion. Am I right?
Wrong. The higher you go, the more chance you do need to dial in caster. At least adjustable uppers is needed for sure. Some people use DB with stock CA to achieve same specs but a lot of people don't like DB because if ground clearance issues
Old 12-03-2015, 07:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO

the tire size and or fender trimming would determine my overall height. I want to gain 4.5 inches solely from the lift. any extras gained through tires and or fender trimming is exactly that, extra. sorry if I mislead you.
No, what Steve meant, people usually determine the height they want based off the overall tire size they are going to run. If you're just doing 31s then 4.5" is a waste of time and money. If you want 35s but keep stock fenders than you'll need to go higher, etc.

People that just say "I want to be "X" high, waste money and ***** everytime. Also people that dont listen and buy cheap lifts to save money, end up spending double to change it later.

Quick Reply: Lifting XJ 4.5"