Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lifted Death Wobble

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 05:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO
Question Lifted Death Wobble

Before getting started, I know there are tons of threads on death wobble and I have read and searched through lots of them but can't find an answer to my exact question.

I have a 2000 XJ Auto with the 231 and about 127,--- miles. I just installed a RC Series 2 3" lift that I got for a steal new on craigslist. After finishing everything up on the kit, I took it for a test drive and got a horrible death wobble at about 65. I had already planned on needing an alignment after the lift, so I kept it at around 45 on the way to the alignment shop. I hit a bump and still got death wobble. I got an alignment done, but am still scared to go any faster than 45. Call me a wimp but I've heard too many stories of death wobble ending in roll overs. I looked over the majority of the steering components when doing the lift. I just don't know if needing an alignment would have caused such a severe problem or if there are other culprits.

There was no drop bracket for the track bar with the lift. Do I need to redrill the track bar axle mount?

It does appear the track bar to axle mount may have bored out a bit. It appears tight though. Any thoughts? Also, how can you tell if the track bar tie rod end is bad?

As I said I got the lift off craigslist and the owner must have lost the extended sway bar link to sway bar mounting brackets. I homefabbed some that I think turned out nicely but could this be the culprit? should I just get the originals from RC? I saw a few threads on homebuild discos(mine are not discos, but still homefab), so I'm not sure if this would affect the death wobble? If so, what do I need to make sure my mounts have, etc.

I got the alignment done and they didn't say anything about the tie rods being bad. How do I check to see if they are?

If a steering box is going out can this cause death wobble? It appears that the seal on the bottom of mine may be out as there is some grease coming out of it. Will this affect anything?

There is some minimal play in the wheel hubs, you can tell by movement in the wheel when rocking it from the top and bottom of the tire on a jack stand. I'm not sure to what level they are supposed to be free and what level means they are bad. There is some road noise but I can't tell if it is the tires, the fact that its a jeep, or if its the hubs.

Thank you very much for the help, and I apologize for the short novel. I am just trying to get this cured as it is my dd and I don't feel safe driving a death wobble machine. I am sure there are also some others out there who could benefit from this thread. All this wobbling has made me question selling the xj. Don't want too, but if its not fixed soon I need something reliable to drive 5 hours back to college come end of winter break.
Old 12-28-2011, 05:12 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: l6

Do u have a upgraded steering stabilizer ? If your driving fine , hit a bump, then get death wobble , that's bumpsteer Well at least that is what mine was. And I bought one from RC (a steering stabilizer) and it went away. I'm at 4.5 lift ......... Idk man sorry
Old 12-28-2011, 06:49 AM

I'm planning on getting a new one in the next day or two. Which one from RC did you get?
Old 12-28-2011, 06:57 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0

did you replace the track bar? or the bushings. also if you lifted you need to re drill your bottom bracket or install a adjustable one or adjustable with drop mount (prefered)
Old 12-28-2011, 07:36 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by TheCK4x4
Do u have a upgraded steering stabilizer ? If your driving fine , hit a bump, then get death wobble , that's bumpsteer Well at least that is what mine was. And I bought one from RC (a steering stabilizer) and it went away. I'm at 4.5 lift ......... Idk man sorry
No that is not bump-steer. Two very different problems.

To the OP
Always start with The Big 3 T's:
1. Trackbar (mounts loose, holes wallowed out, and joints)
2. Tie-Rod Ends (worn out, loose, excessive play)
3. Toe-in (should be 1/16"-1/8")

Since you already read a few death wobble threads you should now know that steering stabilizers are a band-aid that mask problems with the steering system. Do not install a new stabilizer in attempt to cure the problem, you're money can be put to better use.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:10 AM

I know that stabilizers only mask the real problem, so I'm trying to fix it before that. I am aware of what to check, as I have read all the other threads. My main questions are how as are asked in my original post. I have very specific questions I'd like to try and get answered as oppossed to general death wobble causes. Thanks for all the input though guys!
Old 12-28-2011, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by TheGreatGazoo
did you replace the track bar? or the bushings. also if you lifted you need to re drill your bottom bracket or install a adjustable one or adjustable with drop mount (prefered)
How large is the whole that you drill? Wasn't sure if I'd have to do this or not since it was only 3 inches of lift
Old 12-28-2011, 09:25 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Have an assistant turn the steering wheel rapidly back an forth while you look at, listen to, and feel all of the related steering componenets. Pay particular attention to the trackbar and it's cooresponding mounting points.

Swaybar links have no effect on inducing or reducing Death Wobble.

If you suspect a bad joint, disconnect/remove it and see how easily it moves.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:04 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by danjr2010
How large is the whole that you drill? Wasn't sure if I'd have to do this or not since it was only 3 inches of lift
My kit said it was a 13/32 hole i have a 4.5" lift. 3/4" drilled to the right of the existing hole. You may only have to go 1/2" over. what i would do is park on level ground wheels stright roll foward and back a few times to un bind anything if you didnt pull in stright and then remove the bottom track bar bolt. the track bar just might move a little. about a half inch or so. that would be aprox ammount to drill your new hole no more than 3/4". Best time to check your track bar for ANY loose play at all. if so replace it
Old 12-28-2011, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by TheGreatGazoo
My kit said it was a 13/32 hole i have a 4.5" lift. 3/4" drilled to the right of the existing hole. You may only have to go 1/2" over. what i would do is park on level ground wheels stright roll foward and back a few times to un bind anything if you didnt pull in stright and then remove the bottom track bar bolt. the track bar just might move a little. about a half inch or so. that would be aprox ammount to drill your new hole no more than 3/4". Best time to check your track bar for ANY loose play at all. if so replace it
Is it bad to go back with a new factory track bar? I'm not planning on going any higher on lift and drilling isn't a problem. If not any help on finding a cheap adjustable one? Kind of on a time crunch as well in getting this taken care of.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:29 AM
CF Veteran

Oh well I tried , sorry.

Ps it's a RC stabilizer the one that's like 25$ it's white lol
Old 12-28-2011, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by TheCK4x4
Oh well I tried , sorry.

Ps it's a RC stabilizer the one that's like 25$ it's white lol
Thanks man I appreciate it
Old 12-28-2011, 10:48 AM
CF Veteran

Ya , hope u get it fixed up.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:01 PM
Seasoned Member

Is it bad to go back with a new factory track bar? I'm not planning on going any higher on lift and drilling isn't a problem. If not any help on finding a cheap adjustable one? Kind of on a time crunch as well in getting this taken care of.
as long ar your bar is good with no play and the lower bushing is good use it.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:27 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000

Factory bars work fine as long as they are tight. I'm at 6.5 and still run a fActory track bar with no trouble.....I just extended and beefed the axle mount. I would make sure the upper end is tight though. After lifting my MJ a couple weeks ago I had DW because of a little play in that upper joint

Quick Reply: Lifted Death Wobble