Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lift/tires/rims

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 02:51 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lift/tires/rims

Okay so right now I have a 1995 Cherokee STOCK. I am planning to lift it 3 inches with BB and U Bolts with a block in the rear. I am getting some soft 8 rims (15x8) and I plan on getting some 31,10.50,15 tires. I would like to get a 1 inch wheel spacer to prevent any rubbing as well. Does anyone have any pictures of something like this? And any input or suggestions would be great! I'm only 17 so I'm trying to watch my money I'm putting into it!

Thanks !
Old 02-11-2013, 02:52 PM
Banned

That's supposed to be ( 15 by 8 ) rim
Old 02-11-2013, 03:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L upgraded charging system & blue top, flowmaster 44, hi flow cat and two core rad.

If the new rims your getting are the proper offset then your shouldn't need spacers.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Illuminator
If the new rims your getting are the proper offset then your shouldn't need spacers.
They're 4 inch back spacing so I believe I need them
Old 02-11-2013, 04:08 PM
CF Veteran

You wont need spacers. 3.75-4" backspacing is what most people run with no issues.
And if you're planning on wheeling, I'd use something other than blocks in the rear. Add a leaves and shackles are both cheap options that are far better than blocks.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 89
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by kirknd4spd
You wont need spacers. 3.75-4" backspacing is what most people run with no issues.
And if you're planning on wheeling, I'd use something other than blocks in the rear. Add a leaves and shackles are both cheap options that are far better than blocks.
Add a leafs are a close second, they will wear out over time and you'll end up with saggy leafs again. Save up for full leaf packs, it will be worth it.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JerrytheJeep

Add a leafs are a close second, they will wear out over time and you'll end up with saggy leafs again. Save up for full leaf packs, it will be worth it.
I'm not going off road with it, it's a daily driver.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:22 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by justin.franklin

I'm not going off road with it, it's a daily driver.
Go with a long AAL and shackle for the rear. Regardless if you are wheeling it or not, the stock leafs are weak and don't like lift blocks.
And get some good shocks for a daily.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L I6

Bastard pack the rear leafs. Even on the road blocks will cause axle wrap.
For front's I say OME or ZJ V8 upcountry coils +additional coil spring isolator.
JK takeoff shocks are good for your amount of lift. And if you rub in the front, you can adjust your steering stops. I recommend getting a pair of WJ lowers to help this.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Metmknice
Bastard pack the rear leafs. Even on the road blocks will cause axle wrap.
For front's I say OME or ZJ V8 upcountry coils +additional coil spring isolator.
JK takeoff shocks are good for your amount of lift. And if you rub in the front, you can adjust your steering stops. I recommend getting a pair of WJ lowers to help this.
Axle wrap ?
Old 02-12-2013, 02:25 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 89
Engine: 4.0 I6

When you apply torque to the axle, the force of the wheels rotating causes the whole axle to twist upwards into the leaf spring pack. By adding a block between the axle and leafs you are essentially putting a lever there, greatly increasing the torque on the springs causing them to be not happy much faster, or even break. Most problems I've seen are from the blocks shattering and suddenly the springs have an inch or two of play and all hell breaks loose. Lots of small trucks with cheap lifts near me.
I daily drove a 3" aal for about a year. Did ok, but settled down to about 1-2" in a year. Then I carried two seperate 300 lb loads in a day, carry, unload, drive, carry unload, and they were done. They were almost flat and had less than an inch of lift on em.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:21 AM
OEJ
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

blocks are def not the way to go. axle wrap alone makes them not safe, even if your not wheeling, i wouldn't want that **** on my rig.

I know @ 17 you want it NOW!!!!!... Hell, I'm 41 and i still want it NOWWW!!!!!....lol.

Just be patient there young bro. and save for leaf packs. do it once.

you should really go through and search "blocks" and "AAL" and you see why we are trying to save you money overall. remember you def get what u pay for.
Good luck brutha.