Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lift and tires.need help deciding....

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 10:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: good old 4.0 with some parts like a 258 crank, .060 over, a cam, and bigger valves.
Default lift and tires.need help deciding....

just so yall know, im only 17. im a junior in highschool. i dont have any cash right now. im in betwean jobs. now thats enough about me. on to the jeep. it is a 2000 XJ with a stroaked and boared (.030 over with a cam and some injectors) 4.0. other than some audio and CB, thats all its got. other than that its stock. in doing a lift because i like goin wheelin(who here doesnt?) iv decided with influence from my dad that 3.5" lift and 31" tires will work nicely. i dont like to hack the crap out of things but will if i have to. im out of school and hopefully working at a machine shop in 2 weeks from now.my end plan is something that i can daily, go fast for what it is, and wheel and be safe. i trust the seats and belts for what im doing. well, does anybody know of wheels that would look good ig the jeep is factory blue? pics and brands will be appreacated. iv decided to get rustys 3" add-a-leafhttp://www.rustysoffroad.com/jeep-su...-leaf-kit.html (if anyone has expearence with the rustys lift please let me know) for 265 and some new leaf springs as mine are really clapped out. if i put a boat trailer on it, im 2 inches from the stops. as stated, im broke right now. thanks to all who helps.i am also planning to regear to 4.10
Old 05-09-2016, 10:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 224 Likes on 174 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L

1- Stay in school, take english, pay attention.

2- Don't buy the add-a-leaf kit, especially since your leafs are already gone. Buy the kit with full replacement leafs.

3- Any generic steel wheel will look just fine. They're cheap too.

4- Normally I would advise against spending the coin to regear to 4.10s because most people end up wanting to go bigger then regret not gearing deep enough for bigger tires. In your situation 4.10s would probably do just fine for 33's or bigger because you have a stroker. If you ever plan on doing lockers it is a wise decision to do them at the same time as gears

5- If you intend to keep this Jeep for a long time I strongly advise welding in unibody stiffiners. I really wish this was beat into my head at the beginning of my build.
Old 05-11-2016, 10:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Engine: 4.0

Stay away from the AAL and go with the Rustys 3" full leaf/coil, shock, hardware pkg. about $438 I think. This is the same lift I have and still using as the base for my 4 1/2" lift. His leafs and coils are made in NA and VG quality the shocks are like all other entry level kits the white body cheaper ones.

You will need an adj. track bar and possibly a TC drop kit depends if you have any vibes or not.
Old 05-11-2016, 12:34 PM
Old School CF Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2001

I would honestly save your money and wait a bit longer for a higher quality lift kit. The rustys coils and leafs are OK (coils are a bit soft) but for a bit more you could buy some rubicon express gear. You can come out with a better lift with better components by buying stuff seperately (and it allows you to buy some here and there)

Check out cavfab.com (they have killer deals on RE gear) and look into buying stuff seperately (coils, leafs, LCAs, shocks, tb, etc)
Old 05-12-2016, 08:24 AM
CF Veteran

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

save your money for a quality setup. i started out cheap and regretted it. now im spending more money to make it right.
Old 05-12-2016, 10:58 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Xj88
I would honestly save your money and wait a bit longer for a higher quality lift kit. The rustys coils and leafs are OK (coils are a bit soft) but for a bit more you could buy some rubicon express gear. You can come out with a better lift with better components by buying stuff seperately (and it allows you to buy some here and there)

Check out cavfab.com (they have killer deals on RE gear) and look into buying stuff seperately (coils, leafs, LCAs, shocks, tb, etc)

With any entry level lift the leafs and coils are the main cost items and why I suggest the one I do the Rustys. Then they add all the other items one at a time using quality pieces like you suggest no one kit has it all.

I kept my 3" Rustys coils/leafs the HD ones for a winch/bumper setup and used ACOS adj spacer with them for the extra 1 1/2" I needed. Because they had not sagged at all in the first 1 1/2 yrs they were installed, with the weight and ride was good on/off road and the Boomerang Shackles were good for flex in the rear.